Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitarist subbing on bass

What's Hot

Comments

• tomajohatomajoha Frets: 905
    Thanks for the advice peeps - seems like you are all closet bassists 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    tomajoha said:
    Thanks for the advice peeps - seems like you are all closet bassists 
    Nothing closet about my bassing. I am a bass player - haven’t touched a guitar for a couple of years. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    I’m only a bass player in bands now - I still play guitar at home, but not in a band. My last electric guitar gig was about seven or eight years ago I think, and I’ve done a bit of acoustic stuff since but nothing in the last couple of years. (Probably nearer five given the way time flies...)

It does open your eyes about different ways of doing things - not just technique, but your approach to gear and how you use it. I wasn't joking about amp power - my gigging amp is 500W. But it's a 1x10" combo! It's lighter than the guitarist's 30W valve *head*, let alone his 2x12" cab... and I have an identical head as a backup, which goes in something the size of a small laptop bag.

The funny thing is that I don't even use them normally. If the venue has a usable bass amp - usable as in good enough to hear myself on stage - and a PA, then I don't take an amp at all... I have an EQ pedal which is my 'amp' if I can't get the sound I want out of the house one. So I go to gigs with my entire equipment in a gig bag.

Once you've done this for a bit and found you can dial in your own sound through more or less any equipment, you'll wonder why guitarists make such a rod for their own backs by being so dependent on their own particular amp that they have to take it everywhere...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    ICBM said:
    I’m only a bass player in bands now - I still play guitar at home, but not in a band. My last electric guitar gig was about seven or eight years ago I think, and I’ve done a bit of acoustic stuff since but nothing in the last couple of years. (Probably nearer five given the way time flies...)

It does open your eyes about different ways of doing things - not just technique, but your approach to gear and how you use it. I wasn't joking about amp power - my gigging amp is 500W. But it's a 1x10" combo! It's lighter than the guitarist's 30W valve *head*, let alone his 2x12" cab... and I have an identical head as a backup, which goes in something the size of a small laptop bag.

The funny thing is that I don't even use them normally. If the venue has a usable bass amp - usable as in good enough to hear myself on stage - and a PA, then I don't take an amp at all... I have an EQ pedal which is my 'amp' if I can't get the sound I want out of the house one. So I go to gigs with my entire equipment in a gig bag.

Once you've done this for a bit and found you can dial in your own sound through more or less any equipment, you'll wonder why guitarists make such a rod for their own backs by being so dependent on their own particular amp that they have to take it everywhere...

This all sounds quite appealing to me. As I've discussed here before the thought of playing guitar live to an audience brings me out in cold sweats, but I've already warmed to the idea of playing bass. 

Got a couple of practice dates with @munckee + Jrs in the diary for Water Rats, I'm on acoustic for one track and bass for the other. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12327
    Fuengi said:
    ICBM said:

This all sounds quite appealing to me. As I've discussed here before the thought of playing guitar live to an audience brings me out in cold sweats, but I've already warmed to the idea of playing bass. 

Got a couple of practice dates with @munckee + Jrs in the diary for Water Rats, I'm on acoustic for one track and bass for the other. 
    I played bass at the last jam. It seems a big responsibility but you really get into the bass I found. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 905
    Spent an hour or so looking at one of their numbers: 20 Flight Rock by Vince Taylor. On the face of it you think thats simple, but when you try it you really how tight it is and the subtle rests that give it bounce. Eek
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734

However, the skills you really seem to develop are quite different to guitar - rhythm, timing, locking in with the drummer, supporting the song, understanding when less is more and how to position fills, runs, accents etc to really help to emphasise other parts of a song.. 

These are obviously skills not needed by guitar players.....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    jpfamps said:

However, the skills you really seem to develop are quite different to guitar - rhythm, timing, locking in with the drummer, supporting the song, understanding when less is more and how to position fills, runs, accents etc to really help to emphasise other parts of a song.. 

Hah, my response was poorly written - what I meant was they are the same skills, but they are different between guitar and bass. 

•  The last time I played with a band, I played bass for the first time. I found it very enjoyable, especially not being the centre of any attention and propping up and propelling the songs forward. I suspect I might be a closet bass player. Anyway, I got my 1st bass today, see NBD thread. Surely it can only enrich your guitar playing and music knowledge.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7826
    I struggled going from Fender guitar scale to Fender Precision bass scale. I just couldn’t hit the notes cleanly unless looking right at the frets. 

So, i bought a Mustang Short scale bass, that did the trick, and sounded most excellent. 
    TheMarlin said:
    I struggled going from Fender guitar scale to Fender Precision bass scale. I just couldn’t hit the notes cleanly unless looking right at the frets.
    That's how I've played guitar and bass for the last 35 years...

TheMarlin said:

So, i bought a Mustang Short scale bass, that did the trick, and sounded most excellent. 
    But they do too!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    TheMarlin said:

I went with the Squier VM Jaguar Short Scale bass, easy transition from guitar.
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    jpfamps said:

Hah, my response was poorly written - what I meant was they are the same skills, but they are different between guitar and bass. 

Actually what I should have said is that these are not skills displayed (or valued?) by guitar players!
  • it will definitely improve your abilities..bass is a great instrument, you can totally change the feel of a song by using a different bass part, also really expressive and articulate when compared to particualrly heavy guitars.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • I've played way more gigs on bass than guitar
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1097
     I guarantee you will go into the first practice playing it like a lead guitar.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    AlexO said:
     I guarantee you will go into the first practice playing it like a lead guitar.
    I play bass like a rhythm guitarist...

• martmart Frets: 5205
    Mulling this over, I realize I’m probably guilty of playing guitar like a bassist.

For years I wasn’t interested in lead guitar, so worked up my rhythm guitar and did a lot of bass playing. The bass playing was improvising over chord charts and I fell into following Bootsy’s mantra of “play whatever the heck you want, just make sure you hit the 1”, albeit also focussing heavily on keeping the groove going.

So on lead, which I’m still crap at, I kinda noodle around the chord notes making sure that in each phrase I end up at the note I want, at the time I want (which might not exactly by the 1, but often is). 

Am I doing it all wrong?
    mart said:
    Mulling this over, I realize I’m probably guilty of playing guitar like a bassist.

For years I wasn’t interested in lead guitar, so worked up my rhythm guitar and did a lot of bass playing. The bass playing was improvising over chord charts and I fell into following Bootsy’s mantra of “play whatever the heck you want, just make sure you hit the 1”, albeit also focussing heavily on keeping the groove going.

So on lead, which I’m still crap at, I kinda noodle around the chord notes making sure that in each phrase I end up at the note I want, at the time I want (which might not exactly by the 1, but often is). 

Am I doing it all wrong?
    You are my hero
    mart said:

Am I doing it all wrong?
    No.

:)