Cheapest place in the UK to buy a house?

What's Hot

Comments

• johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    Very glad to hear it.

But of course, I love horses, their my friends. Even the ones in my burgers and glue
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5459
    @johnnyurq I own a 3 bed end terrace house in a quiet cul-de-sac with a lovely view over Elgin and the hills to the south. I can see Ben Rinnes from here! If I sold I could realistically get £110,000 for it. I bought it for £40,000... My mortgage is under £250 per month!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Oh, and I have one neighbour. She turned 98 the other week and she is deaf. Good times!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    DiscoStu said:
    @johnnyurq I own a 3 bed end terrace house in a quiet cul-de-sac with a lovely view over Elgin and the hills to the south. I can see Ben Rinnes from here! If I sold I could realistically get £110,000 for it. I bought it for £40,000... My mortgage is under £250 per month!
    @DiscoStu

That is not too bad at all and as I thought a wee tad cheaper.

Our abode is also a 3 bed end terrace (no 98 yo neighbours to report) reasonable views if you look in the right direction, i.e. Ben Wyvis.

We paid £32k and 3 end houses here go for upwards of £125k, more the closer to the centre. We are about 2.5 miles from town near Fairways. Mortgage simular but a wee bit less.

Neighbours are all sound and as I grew up two rows away and tolerate noisy guitar sessions knowing I am a noisy fecker.

We did move away but came back in 89 after renting around Sneck.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17588
    tFB Trader
    viz said:
    Ipswich used to be relatively inexpensive.
    It's cheap for East Anglia, but East Anglia is in general fairly expensive especially compared to the North. 

This thingy has some info:
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I'm considering moving to Edinburgh. My mate and my brother live in Leith, they both rent flats next to Ocean Terminal. Whole different ball game property wise but I'm on my own now and thinking that I need the change of scenery and lifestyle before I get too old and die of loneliness. I've always loved Edinburgh but never thought it would be a possibility, especially on my own. I could rent out my house in Elgin which would help towards rent costs though, that's an option. I wouldn't sell straight away if I moved though, in case the dream turns out to suck. I've lost my parents so the only plan B I have is keeping my house. Oh I don't know. Decisions.
    @DiscoStu

I thought you had a new partner. Please don't tell that never worked out.

If so sorry to hear that mate.

Edinburgh is cool buzzy place and during the noughties I spent a fair bit of time there for my work, thankfully my work paid digs and the like because is was not cheap to live in at all.

If you can make the finances work a gregarious dude like yourself would love it.

Definitely rent the house out (through an agent for loads of reasons) so you have a plan b in place.
    It didn't work out @johnnyurq
    It's a real shame because I think she's ace but something happened to spoil it and it's game over.

So 41, single, and no ties. 
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Come to South Buckinghamshire, your 10k would get you a broom cupboard in a shit part of High Wycombe.

In Gerrards Cross it'd get you a cup of coffee.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    DiscoStu said:
    It's a real shame because I think she's ace but something happened to spoil it and it's game over.

That is a shitter dude you were overdue some good things going your way.

If you ever fancy a yarn, beers and a jam hit me up mate. Although we may very well end up drinking, jamming and talking a load of pish, can't be bad.

We could pop to Sidley's studio and record our musical stylings whilst we jam.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I'm shit at jamming but I may very well take you up on your offer. Not the first time we've talked about it!
    Hey I am not all that either, as long as it is fun. We could even agree in a few numbers and do a cover (quirky or not) of them, our wierd and wonderful way.

No dramas though just if you ever feel like a wee blast.
    I work better with advance notice, so yeah pick a couple of tunes!
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Sorry to hear that Stu. Sure you'll find someone, my mum and her boyfriend did and they're happy together (and in their 40's!)
    DiscoStu said:
    I work better with advance notice, so yeah pick a couple of tunes!
    Sure thing dude just let me know if and when you are up for it.

Wot Drew said too there is someone out there who is your lobster (crappy friends reference).
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Let's all get a big house together and be gay in it. Who needs women? 

I can deep throat.
    My V key is broken
    I mountain bike. I can abseil too if you show me how?
    You know what though @holnrew I reckon that would be an awesome house and the best album in the world would be created within.

Except if you eat my yoghurt. Or don't wash your plates and cups.
    Or put knives in with the spoons.

Instant dismissal.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    DiscoStu said:

There's always your neighbour.

I'll get me coat.

• hungrymarkhungrymark Frets: 1782
    Barrow-In-Furness is dirt cheap. The town itself is an acquired taste as far as charm is concerned but there are satellite villages in its surroundings that are quite nice and that benefit from the cheap postcode. I live in Ulverston, about ten miles from Barrow but a pleasant little market town. Five minute walk out of town and it's proper rural countryside, half an hour drive and you're slap bang in the heart of the Lake District. I love it.

We bought a roomy two bedroom terrace for about 100k. That was at the depths of the credit crunch but prices haven't risen all that much recently.
    Use Your Brian