Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Heaviest tone ever?

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    Reverend said:

Today is the day - one time home of Mastodon but more intense

I always loved that album title and the cover art.  I find it hard work to listen to, though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5418
    edited February 2019
    Off the top of my head... 

machinehead
    Lamb of god
    mastodon
    cancer bats
    gallows (Grey Britain especially)
    Kyuss

Machine head

Mastodon

Lamb of God

Cancer Bats

Gallows

Rammstein

i also think Alter Bridge

& A7x have good tone but aren’t as heavy. 

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3065
    octatonic said:
    It largely depends on how you define 'heavy'.
    Heavy as a sound is somewhat overrated if the songwriting isn't there, imho. 

Some albums worth checking out;

At The Gates: "Slaughter of the Soul"
    Strapping Young Lad: "City"
    Converge: "Jane Doe"
    Meshuggah: "Obzen".
    Slaughter Of The Soul has a crushing guitar tone, but it's very reminiscent of the sound on Entombed's Left Hand Path album. 
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Reverend said:
    I'm in the Midnight Mountain video. 

\m/ Fantastic tune!
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    Reverend said:
    Trouble - Psalm 9
    Bolt Thrower - Realms Of Chaos
    Dream Death - Journey Into Mystery
    Winter - Into Darkness
    Godflesh - Streetcleaner
    Cathedral - In Mermorian
    Cheerful bunch.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494
    edited February 2019
    Reverend said:
    I never though of Pantera as a heavy band.

Back in the day the main reference points for heavy tones were

Trouble - Psalm 9
    Bolt Thrower - Realms Of Chaos
    Dream Death - Journey Into Mystery
    Winter - Into Darkness
    Godflesh - Streetcleaner
    Cathedral - In Mermorian

then later in the 90s you had Kyuss, Karp and Floor.

I can maybe see what Rev means by Pantera.  A band I love but I've seen them to be about the groove/swing but like others have said, a heavy band is pretty much down to the appropriation of the listener. 

For recent records off the top of my head Nails and Harm's Way (both produced by Kurt Ballou) are firmly what I'd consider to be very heavy. 

Man, I remember when Dimebag was shot, I was absolutely gutted.  A mate of mine recorded me Far Beyond Driven on tape when I was about 13 and it was a huge part of my youth and I still have a lot of love for the band (Anselmo's a dick, I try to forget that...)
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    edited February 2019
    The guitar tone off 'Remission' by Mastodon has to be my favourite tar-thick heavy sound. The opening bits to 'March Of The Fire Ants' still give me tingles. A pity they've toned down the heaviness ever since.

For outrageously heavy and thick guitar tone that will put your speakers on edge, then just listen to 'Odd Fellows Rest' by Crowbar or most stuff involving Greg Anderson.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Quite clearly not the same as a lot of the tracks being posted ( some of 'em I managed to listen to all the way through... :) ) but I've always admired the vibe of this....

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    edited February 2019 tFB Trader

edit - link fail - as you were

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17603
    tFB Trader

I can maybe see what Rev means by Pantera.  A band I love but I've seen them to be about the groove/swing but like others have said, a heavy band is pretty much down to the appropriation of the listener.

Yeah, Pantera are quite swingy, groovy which is actually while I like them.

I was thinking specifically about the tone rather than what's being played. Stuff like Walk, or Broken where the tone is just big and mean quite apart from the notes.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4999

Yeah, Pantera are quite swingy, groovy which is actually while I like them.

I was thinking specifically about the tone rather than what's being played. Stuff like Walk, or Broken where the tone is just big and mean quite apart from the notes.
    I always had a problem with the harsh and trebly nature of their production. When Cowboys came out I was mostly listening to things like Autopsy, Winter, Napalm Death, Paradise Lost and so on. I was pretty much focused on finding the heaviest bands I could and Pantera were not really my thing at all. They were a great live band but I could never get into the 90s albums. I've since got into the 80s ones though. 
    Reverend said:
    They were a great live band but I could never get into the 90s albums. I've since got into the 80s ones though. 
    The ones on Metal Magic Records?  I've never heard them, they were so difficult to get hold of years ago but I guess now they're probably on YouTube.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    @Philly_Q Yup! \m/ :sunglasses:
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4999
    Philly_Q said:
    Reverend said:
    They were a great live band but I could never get into the 90s albums. I've since got into the 80s ones though. 
    The ones on Metal Magic Records?  I've never heard them, they were so difficult to get hold of years ago but I guess now they're probably on YouTube.
    I've got a bootleg LP of Power Metal and the rest on MP3. 
    Total Priest/Van Halen HM. 
    Reverend said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Reverend said:
    I've got a bootleg LP of Power Metal and the rest on MP3. 
    Total Priest/Van Halen HM. 

And they are indeed on YouTube!  I listened to three of the four last night. 

First album's not brilliant but I enjoyed the other two.  I agree there's a sort of VH vibe, a bit of early Def Leppard, Dokken, one song sounded like Tesla (although it predates the first Tesla album).  Then Power Metal is very Priest and even a bit thrashy.  I think I like them better than the last couple of '90s Pantera albums.

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    edited February 2019
    In my mind it's hard to top post-CFH Pantera for sheer heaviness and aggression. It's that mix of the groove based riffs with that nasty guitar tone, Phil's angry vocals and the drumming style. Especially Reinventing The Steel and Trendkill.

My favourite heavy tone is Carcass - Heartwork though.

I've never found the more modern stuff like Architects, While She Sleeps etc to sound that heavy. Just doesn't have that same groove and energy behind it imo, it's all so processed and the super low tunings don't do it for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZ said:
    My favourite heavy tone is Carcass - Heartwork though.

One of my favourites too. Ultra heavy tone, but musical. Fantastic production. The recent (ish) Full Dynamic Range Edition release of the album is absolutely wonderful.

edited February 2019
    I've not really kept up with metal, but back in the day the reference for crushingly heavy tone was usually either Demanufacture or Far Beyond Driven.

Listened to both yesterday Demanufacture sounds very flat and over compressed by modern standards but Pantera still sounds so huge I struggle to think of anything that can top it.

Everything seems to have gone to the clicky gated tech metal sound in riffier stuff. I suppose because Pantera kept the tempo down they could use huger sounds.

Educate me oh wise metal folks.
    Heard this?....

Sexy Djent....?

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17603
    tFB Trader
    RobDavies said:
    I've not really kept up with metal, but back in the day the reference for crushingly heavy tone was usually either Demanufacture or Far Beyond Driven.

Listened to both yesterday Demanufacture sounds very flat and over compressed by modern standards but Pantera still sounds so huge I struggle to think of anything that can top it.

Everything seems to have gone to the clicky gated tech metal sound in riffier stuff. I suppose because Pantera kept the tempo down they could use huger sounds.

Educate me oh wise metal folks.
    Heard this?....

Yeah, I do know Meshuggah

Awesome band!