Stereo amp question

I've never expwrimented with a stereo setup, mainly because I only tend to have one amp. However I do have two at the moment but both are rather different: Fender Bluea Deluxe and a Laney Cub 10

Is it best with a stereo setup to have two amps of similar wattage/volume?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    It doesn't really matter, so long as they're not so wildly different that you have problems balancing volumes. FX will sound different on differing amps, but that's unlikely to cause you problems.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    For pure, perfect stereo with effects it would be better in theory to have two identical amps, but in practice a couple of different amps often sound much "bigger" for want of a better word. 
    Try it, it's fun.
  • frownfrown Frets: 32
    There’s been a lot of talk on That Pedal Show [on YouTube] about this subject recently. Worth watching a few episodes as they cover many variants of amp setup and connection possibilities.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    Gadget said:
    It doesn't really matter, so long as they're not so wildly different that you have problems balancing volumes. FX will sound different on differing amps, but that's unlikely to cause you problems.
    Even mixing very different amps gives some interesting results. One of the best tones I’ve heard was a guy using a mix of Marshall drive and Fender clean, it sounded epic. I guess if you’re after something like stereo ping pong delay it’d be better to have a couple of similar amps though. 
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    boogieman said:
    Gadget said:
    Even mixing very different amps gives some interesting results. One of the best tones I’ve heard was a guy using a mix of Marshall drive and Fender clean, it sounded epic. I guess if you’re after something like stereo ping pong delay it’d be better to have a couple of similar amps though. 
    It's the potential inability to balance the volume I was mainly concerned about - especially if you're gigging - but differing tonal colours should be fine unless, as you say, you're after identical repeats / tones both sides.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • I have 2 of all my gigging amps. Never had an issue balancing volumes but you obviously have to account for the discrepancies between them. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • I've never expwrimented with a stereo setup, mainly because I only tend to have one amp. However I do have two at the moment but both are rather different: Fender Bluea Deluxe and a Laney Cub 10

Is it best with a stereo setup to have two amps of similar wattage/volume?
    Go Wet/Dry... watch TPS as suggested in an earlier post...
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    I've just decided to get a 2-channel mono bass amp.
    I think that matching components across brands can be a bit trial & error.
  • I like doing it both with identical amps and with different amps. Modulation can sound especially cool with two different voicings.
  • Two different amps here. Usually try to get them close, then go a nudge away as desired. Love stereo chorus.