Zoom G3n and G5n - up to 7 and 9 effects simultaneously (respectively)? - yeah, right!

What's Hot
VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
edited February 2019 in FX
Some great effects and tones, and loads of features - but the processing power just doesn't cut it.  Sounds loads on paper, but pants in practice.

For example: Amp model - 2 slots
7 band EQ - 2 slots
Some pedals (inc stereo looper) - 2 slots
Cab - 1 slot
Noisegate 1 slot
Drum machine - 1 slot

Fine if you just want FX only, but otherwise its really restrictive.  Even a fairly simple patch can use up all the slots, e.g.

Marshall 1959 & cab - 3 slots
7-band EQ - 2 slots
Noisegate - 1 slot
Reverb - 1 slot

If you have the G3n, that's your lot!  If you have the G5n you just about have room for a delay and a modulation (e.g. phaser) and you're done.  You want to add a drum beat - nope, that's an extra slot.  You want a volume/expression pedal? - nope, that's another slot.  

It's predecessors, the G3 and G5 were actually way more flexible - their shortfall was poor switching options for gigging.  The looper is global & not an extra effect slot, the amp and cab were a single slot, and all the effects were 1 slot.  Plus, it had a global boost switch.  The G5n & G3n might sound a little better, but the trade-off isn't worth it. Zoom should just have extended the switching options of the G3 & G5 and customers would have been better off. 

The size &weight is brilliant, and switching options aren't bad but it's not what it seems. And it has some seriously bad thought out design issues. For example, the cab model has an option to be mic'd or non-mic'd. The basic premise is that if you're going through an amp, you go non-mic'd but you set to Mic through the PA/main board etc.  But there's no global function - you have to alter each patch manually - it's been designed by monkeys. 

So, I'm selling it - shame, as it can sound really good, and fun to use at home - but doesn't fit my needs for gigging and I'll stick with my Tonelabs for the time being as I can choose an amp, a cab, a delay, a reverb, a modulation, a pedal, noise gate, extra EQ (TLLE), presence control, A/B amp/cab switching in same patch (TLSE), Volume and expression pedal options (Both volume & expression in 2-pedal TLSE) and both have a simple global option to go 'amp' or 'line-out'. 
I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've got the G3x and the B3n ...both work perfectly fine for what I use them for, which is straight into PA so I always need an amp / cab sim. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • Yes I've got an original G3 and and amp with cab just takes up one block. That leaves five for other effects. And the looper and drums didn't take up any blocks at all. And you could run the thing for hours on 4xAA rechargable batteries.

It did seem to me than the newer version was quite a step backwards. 

• Given the price point I don't think you can really grumble. 
    Still seems to be a fair amount for the price
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    edited February 2019
    Given the price point I don't think you can really grumble. 
    Still seems to be a fair amount for the price
    Sure - but it's actually a step back from the original G3/G5 which only needed better switching options & they'd have served their customers much better. It really wouldn't have cost that much more to way improve its processing power.  And 3 storage slots for amp & cab compared to only one in the G5 is crazy - the marginal improvement in tonal quality really doesn't compensate or justify the new design. And if drums and looper were extra in the G5 that didn't use up a memory slot, why didn't they keep that in the 'n' series? Madness. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Been wondering about a G3n for fun to add to my Mustang III - it's that or full pedalitis.
    Anyway I was scratching my head over why they'd make the amp and EQ two blocks .. and it must be to make it easier to get at the edit knobs and see it all in one go. The hidden edit panels are what's a pain on the Mustang.
    But then you'd think Zoom could allow more slots - it must have as much power as the older models.
    Someone had a bright idea but didn't think it through enough.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    Been wondering about a G3n for fun to add to my Mustang III - it's that or full pedalitis.
    Anyway I was scratching my head over why they'd make the amp and EQ two blocks .. and it must be to make it easier to get at the edit knobs and see it all in one go. The hidden edit panels are what's a pain on the Mustang.
    But then you'd think Zoom could allow more slots - it must have as much power as the older models.
    Someone had a bright idea but didn't think it through enough.
    Interesting and reasonable observation...and conclusion! Wis awarded. 
  • AnacharsisAnacharsis Frets: 200
    edited February 2019
    I can get the feustration. They definitely targeted the G3n at people who need fewer simultaneous effects, for better or worse. They certainly improved the amp sounds. For the price, I love my G3n as it is.