Albums that mix genres?

What's Hot
horsehorse Frets: 1568
I'm interested in albums where different tracks have quite different genres, but it still works well. Not mixing genres within a single track, but say some electronic and some rock tracks on the same album for example. Any ideas?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited February 2019
    Beastie Boys - Check Your Head
    Ween - The Mollusk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Frank Zappa - Broadway the Hardway

But you could add almost any live Zappa album.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22730

Big Chief - Mack Avenue Skullgame

Big Chief - Platinum Jive

They were on Sub Pop records during the grunge era, but the albums are a weird mix of punk, funk, hard rock, a bit of lounge music... all with a strong influence from 1970s blaxploitation movies.

• I would suggest this as a fan boi, but Jack White's Boarding House reach has some garagey blues rock, some hip hop, some synthy bits, jazz, and even an electro-country ditty
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    Any country and western album
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • viz said:
    Both types of music on those!
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2932
    fandango said:
    Frank Zappa - Broadway the Hardway

First thing I thought of.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2410
    Neil Young does this a lot. There's a rather wonderful album called Trans which is a mixture of laid-back country-rock and weird electronica. Even the well-known albums like Harvest are surprisingly diverse -- it's got orchestral piano ballads, country-pop, acoustic and some hairier rock stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LCD Soundsystem’s albums all have a good mid of funk, electronic, rockier songs with guitars. 
  • Gary Clark Jnr. 

You’ll get a straight ahead blues rock guitar track then an r&b track. 
  • Public Service Broadcasting; three albums with a mix of post rock, indie, electronic and atmospheric tunes, using samples intead of vocals. Excellent too. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    I guess there is a difference between genre blending (FNM's Rap/Metal for instance) and genre hopping (Zappa doing... well kinda everything).

• Public Service Broadcasting; three albums with a mix of post rock, indie, electronic and atmospheric tunes, using samples intead of vocals. Excellent too. 
    I like PSB but honestly they're about as diverse as a rotary club meeting. 

• horsehorse Frets: 1568
    octatonic said:
    I guess there is a difference between genre blending (FNM's Rap/Metal for instance) and genre hopping (Zappa doing... well kinda everything).

It is the latter I'm thinking about, although I've always thought of Zappa as his own genre.

I'll take a listen through the suggestions thanks guys, although I think some of them might seem more like the natural variations you find within a single genre.

The reason I'm thinking about it is Ive been working on 2 different little projects of my own material, which I had thought of as totally separate, but when listening back to mixes I by chance played a 10 minute mellow ambient synth instrumental track followed by a melancholy slowish guitar rock song, and it felt like the first set up the second really well. So maybe I could think about combining the 2.
    I like PSB but honestly they're about as diverse as a rotary club meeting. 

Ok maybe that's an epic fail! I was thinking of the contrast between Gagarin and the more atmospheric tracks.

It's difficult to think of examples. Whilst Screamadelica goes from Rock to dub to country to gospel to rave, it all sounds like one entity.

Going by what @horse states on his last post, perhaps Nine Inch Nails might be a better suggestion? Trent Reznor often includes some mellow ambient piano led songs amongst the hard industrial tracks, but they all merge together nicely.

• To some extent it was typical of classic rock albums to have at least a couple of contrasting tracks thrown in.

Toward the end of that era Diver Down by Van Halen which mixes rock tracks with trad jazz, pop rock, ambient instrumental, flamenco. 

viz said:
    Reminded me of Play by Brad Paisley which has a country core but also surf, rock instrumental, gospel, blues. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    To some extent it was typical of classic rock albums to have at least a couple of contrasting tracks thrown in.

Agree .. bands like Led Zep would go from hard rock to folk and acoustic

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2410
    Come to think of it, most of the Beatles' albums are pretty diverse.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
    Stuckfast said:
    Neil Young does this a lot. There's a rather wonderful album called Trans which is a mixture of laid-back country-rock and weird electronica. Even the well-known albums like Harvest are surprisingly diverse -- it's got orchestral piano ballads, country-pop, acoustic and some hairier rock stuff.
    that's the chap I thought of
    Hawks and Doves, Rust never sleeps, there are loads of them
  • Fretwired said:
    To some extent it was typical of classic rock albums to have at least a couple of contrasting tracks thrown in.

Agree .. bands like Led Zep would go from hard rock to folk and acoustic
    Led Zeppelin good example but even Sabbath, Aerosmith,etc,etc, would throw in all sorts of musical weirdness within the context of an album. The depth of influences on Queen's Night at the Opera for example whereas by the 80s they'd gone more down the line of every song is a potential single. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.