Strat or Coronado? Now you don't have to choose...

What's Hot
JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
Just noticed this on Jezz Woodroffe's site...

Unfortunately I don't have a Strat but..

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Woof!
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1204
    Lixarto said:
    Woof!

Woodwoof?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72230
    A while ago there was a fashion for fitting any guitar design with Strat electrics, no matter how inappropriate... seems it's still alive and well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM;21110" said:
    A while ago there was a fashion for fitting any guitar design with Strat electrics, no matter how inappropriate... seems it's still alive and well.
    This is the truth....
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    fucking hideous
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2874
    I like it :-/
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    @ICBM said:
    This is the truth....
    Yes, but how do they sound?     (a genuine question) 

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26891
    [cat picture]
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72230
    edited August 2013
    @ICBM said:
    This is the truth....
    Almost always something like a Strat but less good.

I really don't see the point - the Strat is a complete design, not a pickup set. Even then, there are at least one and sometimes two sounds that most players don't find useful - so why ape the pickup layout so exactly on a guitar it doesn't belong in?

I could just about understand this one if it was a simple body-replacement kit, easily reversible - but it isn't, it looks like you have to hack the pickguard as well. (I did wonder if you could get away without, but I think the lower horn would extend over the body edge.)

And what's with mounting the jack upside down so the cable will conflict with the bridge? Just stupid. Easily fixed, I know - but why do it wrong in the first place?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31477

Probably like a Strat. With those pickup and trem cavities a Strat is already pretty much a semi-hollow.
    I can't imagine that a decorative f-hole in a non-critical area will make a massive difference tbh.
    The overall design might make a bigger difference to the attack and decay of the notes rather than the tone itself.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27985
    ICBM said:

And what's with mounting the jack upside down so the cable will conflict with the bridge? Just stupid. Easily fixed, I know - but why do it wrong in the first place?
    I assumed this was just a mock-up and that was a simple schoolboy error.

Though to be fair the entire thing is a schoolboy error. There aren't many hybrids that work - the Stratele is about the only one I can think of, and it has to be Tele appointments on a Strat body.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • rprrpr Frets: 309
    Brandoni have doing a similar thing for a few years now