Attenuators and "Speaker Interaction"

What's Hot
tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
edited February 2019 in Amps
I've been looking at buying a more modern attenuator than the basically a big resistor network thing I have now.

One of the units I've been looking at was the rockcrusher recording, and I thought I'd ruled out the likes of the 2 notes torpedo reload, until I started finding threads on issues with squealing from some rockcrusher units that Rivera don't seem to be able to explain.

So I looked a little deeper.

Both units are reactive loads, but the the 2 notes Reload reactive load feeds a built in power amp whereas the rockcrusher does not.

So it's said that the reload isolates the speakers from the amp and that there is no longer any amp/speaker interaction, whereas the Rockcrusher does not isolate.

Can anyone quantify speaker interaction for me?

Does this even make a difference if the 2 notes power amp is a wideband hi-fi power amp? Should it not faithfully reproduce and amplify the amps signal which is then filtered by the response curve of a given speaker?

If the point of a reactive load is that the amp sees a "speaker like" impedance in the attenuator, is the rockcrusher not isolating the amp from the speakers to an extent also?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    All attenuators isolate the amp from the speaker and prevent interaction. Those which are dummy load/re-amp systems do it completely - there is no way anything happening at the speaker can influence the amp at all - and those which are resistive/inductive conventional attenuators almost completely once the setting is below about -3dB. Whether it matters is debatable.

A bigger problem with most conventional attenuators as that as the level goes down, the damping on the speaker increases - this is what's mostly responsible for the 'strangled' sound that attenuators often cause, and probably why some people think the load/re-amp systems sound better. In fact, it would be possible to design this problem out of a conventional attenuator, but as far as I know it hasn't been done.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    Thanks @ICBM, so in summary, no reason to fear the load re-amp solution because the non re-amp solutions are in fact isolating the amp from the speakers reasonably quickly in any case.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    tekbow said:
    Thanks @ICBM, so in summary, no reason to fear the load re-amp solution because the non re-amp solutions are in fact isolating the amp from the speakers reasonably quickly in any case.
    Yes.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    tekbow said:
    Yes.
    Thanks @ICBM. Think it'll be the 2 notes for the added functionality then.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    I had a Reload when I have a JCM800 - it was awesome. Feel was great and the tone control was great for a little tweak to the sound to match the unattenuated 
    Red ones are better. 
    @TimmyO, thanks mate, good to know that contour knob does actually compensate
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1630
    edited February 2019
    The speaker is pretty well "decoupled" from most valve amps! Those amps without feeback have virtually no "damping factor" and even the bigger, 50W + jobs with some NFB probably only manage a DF of 1 or 2! There are amps with feedback "resonance" controls but I always found this pretty subtle (but then I AM rather mutton)

It is in fact this high output impedance that makes valve amps so loud compared to a watt for watt transistor. The "current drive" tends to beat thermal compression in speakers.  Put another way, valves ain't TOO fussy about loads.

ICBM has a point about the "clamping" of an attenuator. Do simple sums and  the bottom R comes out at only an Ohm or two, far lower than most valve amps manage.

Then, any speakers put in series means even an INFINITE damping factor does sqaut.

Dave.