Has anyone got Toneprint working recently?

What's Hot
bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
Just got a SubnUp mini from Thomann. Sounds ok, the box was opened when I got it, despite ordering new, which I wasn't thrilled about. Also, extremely basic instructions with nothing online either.

I thought I'd see if there were some killer patches on the toneprint editor but I can't get either Mac to even notice I've plugged it into the USB port. Doesn't help that I can only find one mini USB lead, I haven't seen one since I put the Playstation3 away and before that, it was the Nokia N-gage!

Seems like they started overhauling the Toneprint/online stuff last year and didn't finish it coz there are no instructions for the current Editor app. Even the built-in link takes you to instructions for an older version that looks nothing like the current one.

I've emailed Thomann about returning it as without the editor it just isn't tickling my subs or my ups enough to be worth keeping or hassling about.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    edited February 2019
    Check if there's a firmware update for your pedal. One of mine I bought cheap last year wouldn't play with Toneprint until I did an update.
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    You can always download the toneprint app to your phone and "beam" the toneprint directly into the pedal, no cables or computers required.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    That's how I do it with my HoF mini. It seems odd (well to me at least), but it does work. I put a new Toneprint on it the other day without any issues at all. I've never connected it to the laptop as that seemed like a lot of grief, using the app and phone means you can try a few quickly and decide which one you want as it's ready to play instantly.

andyp said:
    That's how I do it with my HoF mini. It seems odd (well to me at least), but it does work. I put a new Toneprint on it the other day without any issues at all. I've never connected it to the laptop as that seemed like a lot of grief, using the app and phone means you can try a few quickly and decide which one you want as it's ready to play instantly.

Yes I've never actually connected any of my TC pedals to a computer. The "beaming" function from the phone/tablet works perfectly well.

The only reason you'd ever connect it to a computer is if you want to use the toneprint app to fine-tune the parameters within a specific toneprint, or to create one of your own.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    Maynehead said:
    You can always download the toneprint app to your phone and "beam" the toneprint directly into the pedal, no cables or computers required.
    See, nothing in the literature describes any phone connection other than a cable, which for me would be a usb/lightning connector which I don't have.

I'll give this a go.
    I can't remember how I found out as I bought mine used on here with no instructions, but you can choose toneprints on the app then hold the phone mic close to the pickup you're using (it has to be selected or it doesn't work) and select send to pedal or something similar. It'll make a sound like an old dial-up modem, the pedal will flash to say it's loaded and then you're good to go. It only takes a couple of seconds.

I took a few goes to get it working, but it does work.

Sorry if you know all that, but it certainly wasn't obvious to me when I first did this.

andyp said:
    I can't remember how I found out as I bought mine used on here with no instructions, but you can choose toneprints on the app then hold the phone mic close to the pickup you're using (it has to be selected or it doesn't work) and select send to pedal or something similar. It'll make a sound like an old dial-up modem, the pedal will flash to say it's loaded and then you're good to go. It only takes a couple of seconds.

I took a few goes to get it working, but it does work.

Sorry if you know all that, but it certainly wasn't obvious to me when I first did this.

Definitely not. They seem to have gutted the website and the pedal only came with "here's where you plug your guitar in, here's where you plug the amp in", super basic instructions. 
    Doh. That's not much use.

It seemed like some kind of joke, beaming a sound to a pedal through my pickup? Really?! But it works. From memory, there are quite a few Toneprints on there for the Sub n Up. I had the full size one before the Mini came out. Great pedal, but I didn't use it so I sold it on.
    bbill335 said:
    Maynehead said:
    See, nothing in the literature describes any phone connection other than a cable, which for me would be a usb/lightning connector which I don't have.

I'll give this a go.
    For some reason the manual is not linked on the TC website, but a quick google did the trick:

http://cdn-downloads.tcelectronic.com/media/7222700/sub-n-up-mini-octaver-manual.pdf

Refer to section 4.2 for instructions on using the TonePrint app and the beaming functionality.
    Maynehead said:
    bbill335 said:
    Maynehead said:

I'll give this a go.
    For some reason the manual is not linked on the TC website, but a quick google did the trick:

http://cdn-downloads.tcelectronic.com/media/7222700/sub-n-up-mini-octaver-manual.pdf

Refer to section 4.2 for instructions on using the TonePrint app and the beaming functionality.
    Nice one, thanks. Would it kill them to print that off and stick it in the box? It's not like the environment would mind much, given the humongous box thomann shipped it in!
    I just realised even the instructions are not quite complete.

After you press the "beam to pedal" button on your phone, you should hear some high frequency noises like an old modem trying to connect, and the LED on the pedal should flash.

If the LED flashes green, it means the "beam" was successful, and your pedal should be immediately useable with the new toneprint that you have beamed. However, if the LED flashes red, it means the "beam" failed, and you need to try again. Normally that's because either the volume on your phone is too low, or you've held it against the wrong pickup, or there's too much noise coming from the guitar/cable.
    bbill335 said:
    Maynehead said:
    bbill335 said:
    Maynehead said:

I'll give this a go.

Nice one, thanks. Would it kill them to print that off and stick it in the box? It's not like the environment would mind much, given the humongous box thomann shipped it in!
    I agree, all it needs is one small sheet with some bullet points on it, not War and Peace on glossy paper.