Jeff Beck : how does he really set his guitars up ? . .

What's Hot
ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
One of the very best guitarists around causes lots of conjecture on the web, so why not check out the PG Rig Rundown...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    I love the comment about "he uses this brand of talcum powder because it gives a fatter tone" ~ just brilliant   :D

What are we like, eh ???   ;)

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    And another Klon !!  tbh that was news to me
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    I like the idea of the tech having to refret his No1 strat for the following night's gig , thats one way to earn your money :)  though if there are no hassles a refret shouldn't take more than a few hours with a R/W board and a detachable neck
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    Somewhat of an aside- watch this video: 

And turn on automatic subtitles.
    Quite funny how it interprets some of the speech and music.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    This vid from a few years earlier goes into more detail about the specific setup on his current white Strat. In video two his then tech says more about how the vibrato is set up. 

Thanks for the extra videos guys.

Gearmanndude has his own language or "method of vocal communication" anyway, so maybe that is a little less surprising, but strummed guitar = "go poem, no poems, out" - maybe you've discovered a good random lyric generator there octatonic.

Just off to watch the next vid, so thanks Skarloey.

• RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    Jeff Beck never appealed to me.  Recently I got [on the recommendation of Hi-Fi News columnist Ken Kessler] a DVD of JB playing live. It is gone to the local charity shop.  In the past I had a Jeff Beck album called "Bop till you drop", it too was disposed of.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    I like it when he plays more straight rock n roll, like the Les Paul thing he did with Imelda May. Apart from the 60s and some of the 70s stuff, the rest of his output just isn't my taste. He's obv a genius and all that but too much wobbly bollocks with the trem for me.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    What a lovely approach to musicianship; love, but work your gear hard, minimalism, and it seems above all about the "feel and response in the moment" to everything.  Quite sobering in these GAS infused climes of tFB.

• LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    Rocker said:
    Jeff Beck never appealed to me.  Recently I got [on the recommendation of Hi-Fi News columnist Ken Kessler] a DVD of JB playing live. It is gone to the local charity shop.  In the past I had a Jeff Beck album called "Bop till you drop", it too was disposed of.
    Damm right, I've learned a lot from the forum this week, Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Back and the Beatles are shit, and Dokken are the bomb. :-)
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    edited April 2014
    More of a God than Clapton for me. This gets me everytime
    Some of his newer stuff take a bit of listening but he's still got it IMHO.

Having seen him both onstage over the years and round pubs in Kent back in the day when he used to Jam on a Sunday night down his local.

You just know once he picks up a guitar he is the real deal.

YMMV

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    Rocker;222560" said:
    In the past I had a Jeff Beck album called "Bop till you drop", it too was disposed of.
    I think you'll find "Bop Till You Drop" was a Ry Cooder album....

richardhomer said:

Rocker;222560" said:
    In the past I had a Jeff Beck album called "Bop till you drop", it too was disposed of.
    yeah, he was shit too...guy from Ratt would have kicked his ass.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    edited April 2014
    @richardhomer a really good one too!

I did see Beck play a year or two ago and unfortunately I was really disappointed. Maybe more to do with where my head's at. I'd probably have loved it ten years ago. 

I still adore his 60s and 70s output, though. He shoulda stuck with the LesPaul :-p

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That is a badas tone...thanks for posting that up Lew
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    I'd be more inclied to take my Chevvy Pickup to him to have the gearbox changed than have my Strat Trem setup...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Correct and I stand corrected my friend.  For the life of me I have not the slightest idea what the album was called.  It had a few 'nice' and well known tunes.  I did have the Cooder album too.  On occasions I listen to him on the stereo.  But not every day.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10397
    @Rocker

Check out the Roger Waters album Amused to death. Beck's work on that is amazing. Like Gilmour, he's at his best on other peoples songs. 

Also it's done in Q-sound and does indeed sound amazing on a nice system
    www.2020studios.co.uk