Fuzz and Wah

What's Hot
Dave_VaderDave_Vader Frets: 360
I love the sound of a wahed fuzz, it is a wonderful thing but...

What happens when your fuzz likes to be first in the chain? Fuzz before wah sounds rubbish, it goes all volume pedalesque and loses all it's smooth loveliness.
My current fix is to have two fuzzes on the board, one before and one after, not ideal, and probably stupid.
What did Jimi do? Why does it matter, and am I mishearing the sound of fuzz before wah?

What order are we all putting our fuzz-faces and crybabies in?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    Jimi had Roger Mayer modding things.
  • If you have time, check out the recent episode from That Pedal Show on this very topic:

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    I just tried putting a SHO boost between my wah and my fuzzface clone and its sounds pretty ace. I might build another SHO circuit into the wah output (it's unity at zero, but can then boost). It really sounds great, can't believe I haven't tried it sooner.
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1205
    Wah after fuzz for me. Mine has a boost, so no loss. I blame the 80s/90s bands I grew up with. Sounds awesome for what I use it for. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    Babones said:
    Wah after fuzz for me.
    Likewise. Wah after fuzz and before distortion and overdrive for me.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    If you have a boss type pedal, put it between the wah and fuzz. The boss has a buffer on when in true bypass which will help the wah interact with the fuzz. If you like it, then you’ll need a wah buffer installed. Some wahs already have them, most don’t. 
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6691
    get a wah with a fuzz buffer or buy and install a foxrox retrofit buffer.

I run BMF wah, Fuzz Face, Treble Booster, Vibe (or at the moment phase 95), OD, Dist.

As for what jimi did, if you listen to a lot of him live, usually struggle like fuck dealing with this problem. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1205
    ICBM said:
    Babones said:
    Wah after fuzz for me.
    Likewise. Wah after fuzz and before distortion and overdrive for me.
    Actually, I have it after all dirt, stacked and so on. But I'm not going for a classic wah sound.