Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Comments

• Not in the slightest...

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11444

Looks dodgy to me.  Can't even spell catalogue correctly on their website.  They claim to be based in the UK, but obviously haven't used a UK based website designer who actually knows English as opposed to 'murican.

I would be seriously worried that they will take your money, and no guitar will ever materialize.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1269
    crunchman said:

Looks dodgy to me.  Can't even spell catalogue correctly on their website.  They claim to be based in the UK, but obviously haven't used a UK based website designer who actually knows English as opposed to 'murican.

I would be seriously worried that they will take your money, and no guitar will ever materialize.

My concern is they sell copies, even if they were to arrive the next day.
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Unretouched photos of their joint South Korean and Chinese factory taken in the Cort factory Indonesia?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14405
    The obvious giveaway is the absence of any photographs of the front of the headstock. (The brand name headstock inlay is where the actionable stuff happens.) If the legend reads, RGL, some buyers will be put off. If it reads "Gibson", that constitutes a trade mark infringement and an attempt to defraud, leaving RGL open to litigation.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5722
    I rather like the bit where they very obviously avoid the front of headstock shot but happily show the ‘Made In USA’ stamp on the back. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11444

Just did some checking.  There are an awful lot of companies registered at 219 Kensington High Street Office 4.  Google Street View shows Brompton Solicitors above the door.  Looks like somebody who will register a company for you and give you an address.  Not even certain they will have any staff in this country.

If you order, you might be lucky and get an illegal Chinese fake.  On the other hand, you might order, and then the website disappears in 6 weeks time and your money is gone.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2019
    Last year, I had a potential eBay buyer provide a delivery address on Tottenham Court Road. When I queried this, he stalled before eventually admitting that he was in India and trying to get around my UK Only auction stipulation.
  • Dodge city and pretty illegal I’d say  ;)
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8786
    Er, yes. 

"Real Guitar Legends is a wholly owned subisdary (sic) of Celtic Global Trading Solutions Ltd"

Celtic Global Trading Solutions Ltd was incorporated as recently as 10th December 2018.

The company has one director, a Mr Nicholas Kieswetter.  That gentleman is a former director of another company, Celtic Trade Car Sales Limited, incorporated on 4th November 2015 and struck off a little more than a year later.

Googling the fellow's name brings up some interesting reportage from the Mansfield Chad, a local news source.

Against that background, and the nature of the products on offer well, one must draw one's own conclusions.  I wouldn't send 'em a bean, personally...

Was particularly amused by this detail in the FAQs:

"On some of the photo’s in your catalogue details such as the manufacturer logo / serial numbers and artist signatures are missing?

"There are a number of reasons why not EVERY detail is shown on every guitar – however you can be assured that YOUR GUITAR will be a faithful reproduction of the original in every regard when you receive it."

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • baldybaldy Frets: 195

Clearly marked Gibson & made in USA.
    Only £450.
    The ad says "This is not a real Gibson that's why it is £450 and not £4500, hope this helps the 1 in 700."
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8822
    tFB Trader
    I reported these guys to Facebook weeks ago, several times. They’re not interested.

The guy who runs it/imports this trash is a car salesman who has made the news for assault (I believe his wife was involved). 

Report it then stay well clear.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8822
    tFB Trader
    sweepy said:
    It looks like the very reason the guitar market is fucked because of cheap, shitty, counterfeit Chinese knock offs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    sweepy said:
    That does look fun though :)
    Gibson did make flamed maple top Firebirds, Explorers and Vees in the Eighties. Perhaps, they should consider trying that idea again? Traditionalists might not wear it.
  • https://www.realguitarlegends.com/products/rickenbacker-360-12-string-electric-guitar-fireglo-finish-semi-acoustic

I’m tempted to email this to info@rickenbacker.com and get the dodgy criminal shut down.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    The moustache/bookend shape of the top of the headstock is trademarked by Gibson, so with or without the logo it is still illegal.

The fact that they are using the Gibson name (presumably without permission) is also illegal.
  • I love this, from the website:

"Once completed your order will be shipped directly to our UK Distribution and Quality Assurance Facility"

a.k.a. Dodgy Nick's lockup garage in Mansfield

• baldy said:

Clearly marked Gibson & made in USA.
    Only £450.
    The ad says "This is not a real Gibson that's why it is £450 and not £4500, hope this helps the 1 in 700."

That's a Facebook Marketplace post in Birmingham, isn't it?

"Okay so this is NOT a real Gibson BUT it IS a "LES PAUL" model Chibson badged Gibson, like Slashes "Appetite" guitar which was NOT a Gibson it said Gibson and was made by a local lutheir and was indead a LES paul design guitar unless you think it's a strat model..... or an ibanez universe maybe a Flying V.... I have been told it was made in the Epiphone plant in China and badged Gibson. Having owned loads of epiphones and played lots of bad 2+K baseball neck gibsons, this is a great guitar of equal quality in some instances. Plays great, see the pictures it would fool most guitar internet troll experts "

*sigh*

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• mbembe Frets: 1840
    https://www.realguitarlegends.com/products/rickenbacker-360-12-string-electric-guitar-fireglo-finish-semi-acoustic

I’m tempted to email this to info@rickenbacker.com and get the dodgy criminal shut down.
    He'll say it's Nickenbacker!  *boom..tish*