Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Chibbo anyone?

What's Hot

Comments

• KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1264
    Interesting conversation on their fb page, responses from the company look like written by an English person. They also claim they don't infringe any copyrights!

https://www.facebook.com/2258539550824804/posts/2309955482349877/
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9499
    edited February 2019
    Copyright is to do with artistic works, what they’re infringing here is mainly trade marks (they are passing them off as Gibsons when they’re no such thing) and possibly registered designs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    Copyright is to do with artistic works, what they’re infringing here is mainly trade marks (they are passing them off as Gibsons when they’re no such thing) and possibly registered designs.
    Gibson is a registered trademark, so is Les Paul, so is the shape of the headstock.

There are some hefty penalties for trademark infringement.

However, I think(?) it is up to the trademark holder to make the complaint.

• Interesting, as Fender have failed at least once to trademark their body shapes (in the US at least), but their headstock shapes are registered trade marks.

With a lot of intellectual property law, stuff will only be protected (and infringements enforced) if it makes economic sense. In this case, I’d say that Gibson could get this website closed down with a relatively small payment to their lawyers (a simple cease and desist letter) and it would make sense for them to so.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3347
    edited February 2019
    Naughty naughty......

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    this sort of thing pops up all the time. will be a chinese front. 

There is no phone number. Happens a lot with designer fashion goods. 
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2304
    Saw these popping up on Gumtree and eBay in December - reported them and they did get taken down.
    Tim
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    That peacock burst is lush!

Shame on the counterfeiters though. Tut tut.
  • I read an exchange he had someone on Facebook who said he was selling counterfeits and as expected, the guy is an arsehole.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Why is it they can copy stuff - even down to specific damage/patterns of wear in some instances - but no counterfeit maker can ever seem to get the body shape of an ES175 correct?
    Also, I love it how we are all “what a scoundrel so illegal” etc and yet 80% of us have worked our way through 10 pages of their catalogue going “ooh, that looks nice. Always fancied a single p90.” ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    1) The 175 requires the forms to shape the laminated sides.

2) The copiers may be deliberately getting the outline wrong to avoid prosecution.

Be seeing you.
  • JDE said:
    Why is it they can copy stuff - even down to specific damage/patterns of wear in some instances - but no counterfeit maker can ever seem to get the body shape of an ES175 correct?
    I'd disagree with the detail in copying stuff. I don't think I've ever seen a fake that pass as real when you have basic knowledge of what a Les Paul should look like! They're always way off! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • baldybaldy Frets: 195
    I wonder if they have permission to use that picture of Joe Bonamassa on their about us page lol.
    1) The 175 requires the forms to shape the laminated sides.

2) The copiers may be deliberately getting the outline wrong to avoid prosecution.

They’re putting “Gibson” on the headstock, I don’t think legality is high on their agenda.
    Good point about the moulds, but Aria have them, Ibanez have them (or at least they used to). If those clones are made in China I would bet money there are Epi and Samick 175’s (correct shape) being made in literally the same factory, probably by the same human beings. 
    Panama_Jack666 said:I don't think I've ever seen a fake that pass as real when you have basic knowledge of what a Les Paul should look like! They're always way off! 
    True, but at least the basic outline is the same. Their 175 looks like it was draughted with a crayon. 
  • These dodgy criminals’ ad popped up on my facebook feed, so I reported it for selling counterfeit goods. They came back and said it didn’t break any of their rules!
  • These dodgy criminals’ ad popped up on my facebook feed, so I reported it for selling counterfeit goods. They came back and said it didn’t break any of their rules!
    Mine too. The whole website is VERY carefully worded to make sure everyone knows what the deal is without explicitly saying it- right down to their replies to queries on Facebook. 
    The whole business seems questionable. 
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1264
    The amount of people commenting on their fb page how much they like their stuff is just as surprising as this chibson on ebay currently going for 800, and the bids are still rolling!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/192829282404