Confused about Surge Protection...

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4980
as in 240 volts from a generator to power our bands amplification and equipment.  I know that some generators have built in surge protection as have some extension plug boards.  Having looked up the subject on the internet, I am confused by the availability of different types of Surge Protection.  And the fact that some electronic surge protection devices seem to wear out and become less effective after a number of surges have been eradicated.  Also that these devices have no visible means of determining how effective they are or how many surges they have been exposed to.

Should I buy a new socket block with built in surge protection every year or two?  Is there a plug in surge protection device that can be replaced every year or two?

All help and guidance much appreciated.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    What sort of generator?
    If it's a little petrol one for camping, they have little to no regulation, the bigger diesel jobbies these days are usually regulated. Surge protection is only a part of the problem and if you have anything digital you intend to using a proper regulated protected supply is recommended.
    UK power from the mains is quite stable unlike other countries and that standard is generally carried on by the professional genset providers.
    If you are using a little petrol genny, then beware the pulse of music (bass guitar etc.) puts a massive strain on anything that is marginal in terms of its output power for a start, and using something like this:
    would be a smart move especially if you want steady clean power for you gear (did I say digital stuff hates dodgy power and might not even power them up).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom