Smoke/Fog Machines - Education req.

What's Hot
RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3144
in Off Topic tFB Trader
Looking to get a smoke machine for the workshop but don't know much about them. Ideally, one that is cheap and easy to use?

It needs to produce a lot of smoke that hangs around for a long time and some sort of triggering would be great

Has anyone here got any experience with them?
*I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
Rift Amplification
Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
Brackley, Northamptonshire
www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    The cheap ones using 'oil' stick in your throat and are hard if you are a singer. They leave a film of oil that builds up on electrical gear especially things with forced cooling (power amps, computers etc.). This makes fluff and dust stick and can lead to failure!
    Get one that uses water based fluid, better to inhale and better for the electrical devices.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6129
    tFB Trader
    Im sure someone on here has one for sale... can't remember what area of the site its in though

Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • I investigated them briefly for my YBTB rig, but so few places allow them to be used now that the price of decent ones is prohibitive 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3144
    tFB Trader
    ESBlonde said:
    The cheap ones using 'oil' stick in your throat and are hard if you are a singer. They leave a film of oil that builds up on electrical gear especially things with forced cooling (power amps, computers etc.). This makes fluff and dust stick and can lead to failure!
    Get one that uses water based fluid, better to inhale and better for the electrical devices.
    I didn't know that, definitely don't want customer builds covered in an oily film! Do the water-based fluids produce the same amount of smoke as the oil ones?

ThorpyFX said:
    Im sure someone on here has one for sale... can't remember what area of the site its in though

Thanks, I did a search but couldn't see anything

I investigated them briefly for my YBTB rig, but so few places allow them to be used now that the price of decent ones is prohibitive 
    It's only for my workshop so I'm sure I'll give permission! Will check H&S regs anyway in case one could affect my insurance
    Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• When I was a postgrad student studying laser spectroscopy, the university wanted a photo of one of our experiments for the prospectus, with lots of criss-crossing red and green beams. Thing is, you can’t see laser beams unless they are scattered by something like dust particles in the atmosphere so they weren’t showing up in the photographer’s viewfinder. My PhD supervisor had the brainwave of getting one of the other students (known as a heavy smoker) to crouch down on the floor and blow as much cigarette smoke as he could over my experiment. Worked a treat!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I think the fluid used in the water based ones is pretty similar to the fluid used in e-cigarettes - vegetable glycerine and/or proylene glycol. You could just get a heavy vaper in...
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    edited February 2019
    Gagaryn said:
    I think the fluid used in the water based ones is pretty similar to the fluid used in e-cigarettes - vegetable glycerine and/or proylene glycol. You could just get a heavy vaper in...
    It's broadly the same - e-cig liquid usually has both (vegetable glycerine and propylene glycol) along with flavourings and nicotine.

I'm genuinely curious (nosy!) - what's the purpose of the smoke machine in the workshop?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • To simulate a 60s AC30 ran flat out?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    Not exactly relevant but this did amuse me recently.

Smoker: Excuse me I'm just going to go outside for a smoke. Sorry I'll try to blow this way. I'll stand over here away from you healthy people. Sorry.

Vaper: BEHOLD MY CLOUD OF SELF- RIGHTEOUS PINEAPPLE.

Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    randella said:
    I'm genuinely curious (nosy!) - what's the purpose of the smoke machine in the workshop?
    Just for product photography and whatnot really. Want to do some cool things with smoke and backlighting
    Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• randellarandella Frets: 4168
    RiftAmps said:
    randella said:
    Just for product photography and whatnot really. Want to do some cool things with smoke and backlighting
    Ah cool, thanks - I did wonder if that was the case.  Should look good. :)
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6129
    tFB Trader
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • ThorpyFX said:
    @ThorpyFX ;Thanks Adrian. Yeah still have it. Sounds about perfect for what you want it for Chris. How about a strobe light too ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • Might be able to arrange to get that cine projector to you too @RiftAmps ;
    tFB Trader
    ThorpyFX said:
    @ThorpyFX ;Thanks Adrian. Yeah still have it. Sounds about perfect for what you want it for Chris. How about a strobe light too ;)
    PM incoming
    Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    If it's a one off photo session, just hire one off a DJ and then hand it back. No fuss or mess and one less thing to store and later sell.

• If you only want a small volume of smoke your local model shop may help out; there are a number of things on the market to simulate smoking funnels for model ships/trains.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1820
    edited February 2019
    Don’t get those small capsules that you light for smoke/fog. My photographer used some for something I was shooting and didn’t hang around for long

Here's the fog machine in action:-

https://i.imgur.com/4PjoDcE.mp4

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6691
    edited April 2019
    Only just seen this but what you want is a hazer, not a fog machine. Fog/smoke looks like smoke. Haze just gives you the ambience and light rays. 

The industry standard is a DF50 but they are a couple of grand. About £150 a day to rent and worth every penny. 

Alternately you can buy haze in a can which are about £10 each and are great for photography. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    tFB Trader
    soma1975 said:
    Only just seen this but what you want is a hazer, not a fog machine. Fog/smoke looks like smoke. Haze just gives you the ambience and light rays. 

The industry standard is a DF50 but they are a couple of grand. About £150 a day to rent and worth every penny. 

Alternately you can buy haze in a can which are about £10 each and are great for photography. 
    Yeah, we went with a hazemachine in the end
    Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk