Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Got 10K to Invest, so what are the options?

What's Hot

Comments

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2406
    edited February 2019
    A one way ticket out of the country. Seriously.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    5000 scratch cards.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Stick a couple of grand in a SIPP, Vanguard low cost trackers funds. Leave to simmer and enjoy at 55. 

The rest I'd go; 50% into income producing stocks and 50% into Vanguard trackers covering the USA, Europe, China.

The pension will give you tax relief and a gentle boost at retirement. 

If I had talent, I'd be talented.
    Red meat and functional mushrooms.
    Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
    A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Electromatic
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    edited February 2019
    gold..... times are going to get more troubled soonish so always a good option
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Just sold some shares in my ISA - it's dicey at the minute. I'd say a vintage guitar is a safer bet right now
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    I'm starting to look at genetic sequencing/genome stocks.

Illumina, Myriad, Genomic Health, Agilent Tech, Sarepta and Spark are the ones I'm mostly interested in.
  • Lodious said:
    I'd put it in cash savings and wait for the stock market to crash, then put it half and half into FTSE100/250 trackers. 
    I’d be tempted with this too, I’ve been waiting for the next crash (sub 6000) in the FTSE for a couple of years but it’s being stubbornly propped up, you’ll no doubt get a relief rally when the Brexit deal is finalised no matter how disadvantages it is for us and at that point I’d be tempted to even short sell while reality kicks in.

All IMHO of course !
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    edited February 2019
    Give it to Noel Edmonds, he knows some guys at HBOS that will invest it carefully for you. (alledgedly)

• NeilNeil Frets: 3616
    Depends on your investment span but for five to ten years, equity ISA with some decent fund managers rather than trackers.
  • My first response to this post was - you've got £10k to invest, but it's not yours. Which suggests someone else has given it to you to invest, for which you're seeking advice on a guitar forum so..... Who the hell is crazy enough to be trusting a £10k cash investemen to the hands of someone who needs to seek the advice of us motley crew?! =)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Both gold and the ftse (once it drops obviously) sound like good options. Although gold too has remained consistently high in the last few years..

Fuck it what guitar would make the best investment  :o   =)

• My first response to this post was - you've got £10k to invest, but it's not yours. Which suggests someone else has given it to you to invest, for which you're seeking advice on a guitar forum so..... Who the hell is crazy enough to be trusting a £10k cash investemen to the hands of someone who needs to seek the advice of us motley crew?! =)
    CRAZY EH!!  :#

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    I had a spare £10k so I stuck it into premium bonds. I like the thought that any month 'could' net me £1 million (!) although I acknowledge that it is unlikely. First year I won £200, last year £100. I wouldn't know if that was a decent return but I'm happy with the fact that I might win something big, even if it's a very small chance. 
  • axisus said:
    I had a spare £10k so I stuck it into premium bonds. I like the thought that any month 'could' net me £1 million (!) although I acknowledge that it is unlikely. First year I won £200, last year £100. I wouldn't know if that was a decent return but I'm happy with the fact that I might win something big, even if it's a very small chance. 
    Yeah I think this option is a no-brainer in current times, much better than the return you get from a savings account, plus - like you say - a chance to win big!
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7321
    Use it for matched betting. You'll have doubled it in 6 months if you put the time in.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    Premium Bonds - I got a 4.7% return on mine last year but usually I get the oblig 1.2% - but is fun waiting for those little envelopes to fall through the letterbox each month!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Go on Dragons Den and ask for £200,0000 for a 10% share of your new £10,000 investment buisness investing in Ham Fisted wanna be musos  from the fretboard..
    Tell them you will be spending it all on Plecs , Bottom E strings and Ear Defenders..
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2083
    Im just having a dabble with this at the moment...

https://www.ratesetter.com/invest

My stocks and shares are very fragile, my Investment ISA with Old Mutual Wealth is doing quite well, my premium bond £2k has done zero.

I have an interest in property rental, houses are easy to rent out but hard to sell for the right price at the moment.

Read into all of that what you will

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • I have savings that Im tempted to use to acquire a rental property but Im worried the market is unstable right now
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2083
    I have savings that Im tempted to use to acquire a rental property but Im worried the market is unstable right now
    It is....If you have a cash sum to purchase pretty much outright, its a good return on say £100k - £150k, ..if you are considering some type of BTL mortgage and its not via a Ltd company I wouldnt bother.    

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview