Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Dua Lipa Rig Rundown

What's Hot

Comments

• Best thread ever. Well played @ArenaCorner ;
    How very rock and roll
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Wow. This is a vicious thread. I personally didn’t think it completely worked, but there is a germ of a really good idea that with a bit of development could really work. The criticism of “just talk about the gear properly and stop being an idiot” misses the point that the writer/performer not completely successfully was trying to make. A comedy character who is ill-informed interviewing experts has been done before (as has been mentioned) by the fantastic Diane Morgan as Philomena Cunk, but that’s not to say he should give up at the first attempt. Comedy doesn’t just spring out fully formed, working perfectly and getting loads of laughs. Comedy is incredibly hard to get right, what people find funny is entirely subjective, there are 1000s of comedy writers and performers out there, and it takes a lot of hard work and failing (sometimes dismally) before they get it close to right. At least he put himself out there to try.

If it didn’t work, be nice FFS, try constructive criticism beyond “give up, you’re not funny”, he’s not an established comedian, he’s at least trying something. Keep working on it @ArenaCorner, you’ve definitely got a good idea there, it just needs work. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 986
    Agree with the try again comments. There is no such thing as failing, only learning. It took Edison 10, 000 attempts to invent the lightbulb.

Fwiw I don't think you need to be particularly good to make it as a successful comedian, look at catherine tate.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Snags said:
    It's like someone saw Philomena Cunk and totally failed to understand what makes her brilliant.
    Thank you for this. Until this thread Philomena Cunk had totally passed me by.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    Keiko said:
    Agree with the try again comments. There is no such thing as failing, only learning. It took Edison 10, 000 attempts to invent the lightbulb.

Fwiw I don't think you need to be particularly good to make it as a successful comedian, look at catherine tate.
    How very dare you insult Catherine Tate. I find your remark impertinent.
  • Snags said:
    It's like someone saw Philomena Cunk and totally failed to understand what makes her brilliant.
    Thank you for this. Until this thread Philomena Cunk had totally passed me by.
    IIRC she was originally created for Screenwipe along with her male equivalent Barry Shitpeas. I suspect that may have dated a bit now. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3820
    Sassafras said:
    Keiko said:

She really is shit though
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 986
    Sassafras said:
    Keiko said:

Am I bovvered?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The fact everyone is replying in this way is super amusing

Nice we can provide someone solid comedy career advice with our vast experience 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • The fact everyone is replying in this way is super amusing

Exactly. With the wealth of award-winning comedy writing/performing talent on TFB, I'm sure this has all been useful to the OP.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11746
    The fact everyone is replying in this way is super amusing

Exactly. With the wealth of award-winning comedy writing/performing talent on TFB, I'm sure this has all been useful to the OP.
    So to clarify.

Some people have come on here said "it's shit mate" and this is bad, because it isn't constructive, OK fine.

Some people have come on and tried to say ways it can be better and be constructive, which is bad because none of us are comedy writers, OK fine.

A handful of people have come on and said they like it, and they are OK?

So we have to say we liked it, or say nothing?
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Erm, this is like encouraging Prince Phillip to be an F1 driver - we can all be adult in our feedback about this without the need for praising like a toddler who’s brushed his teeth for the first time.
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    edited February 2019
    I got to the bit where he talked about Dua Lipa being "pop" and not "rock" and turned it off.

I just hope the fella with the microphone stuck in his face was in on the joke.

But I'd imagine the real joke, to the creator at least, having perused the channels content, is posting it here and watching the reaction from members.

To use a defunct youth culture vernacular, we were punk'd. Kinda. I say kinda because in that kinda gag, the audience needs to buy into it either being a joke on someone else, or be fooled by the joke on them. Not be confused as to whether this is a joke, satire or something else.

I'm hitting 40 this year. Maybe I'm just old.
  • sweepy said:
    Possibly, he’s trying to be amusing and failing miserably
    I'll come forward and admit that I play the Billy Cardigan character. I'm sorry this seems so universally unappealing to thefretboard. How can I do better?
    I'll dissent and say that I actually find this guy's videos pretty funny
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2218
    edited February 2019
    The fact everyone is replying in this way is super amusing

So to clarify.

Some people have come on here said "it's shit mate" and this is bad, because it isn't constructive, OK fine.

Some people have come on and tried to say ways it can be better and be constructive, which is bad because none of us are comedy writers, OK fine.

A handful of people have come on and said they like it, and they are OK?

So we have to say we liked it, or say nothing?
    In answer to your last question, no. Of course not. Freedom of speech and all that.

If you see my earlier post, I did say I didn't quite like it and that it didn't totally work. It's possible to say something constructive and positive even if you don't like something. It's all too easy to say something all-out nasty and shitty. 

You're allowed to say anything you like, but pissy, vindictive comments are far from helpful, especially as the person who made the clip is the OP and had the courage to put it out there.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    It was shit.
    Not constructive I know but it was shit.
    And I speak as someone who's had 90 years of stand-up comedy experience.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lol he really is Billy Cardigan.  I like how he's got some people worked up to the point of near aggression. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    Keiko said:
    Contrary to popular myth, Edison didn’t invent the light bulb - he simply made it commercially viable.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513

I'm only in this thread because I thought @hootsmon was writing about Def Leppard.

Then I see that @EricTheWeary saw Steve Morse in a bad light, I'm amazed! Pray tell, I always thought he was really likable unless you're 1) his missus (he practices every waking hour, it takes a *very* special woman to tolerate that), or 2) the bloke he wanted to kill for spitting into his open mouth onstage while mid-solo with his eyes closed. In Hamburg, I think. And to be honest, I side with Steve on 2. Disgusting.

Everyone hears of Nuno for the first time sometime.

I might watch the vid later. I also might not.

• ICBM said:
    Keiko said:
    Contrary to popular myth, Edison didn’t invent the light bulb - he simply made it commercially viable.
    It was Tesla, right?