NPD: Electro-Harmonix Platform

FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
Just been experimenting with this gadget.

https://i.imgur.com/onAZYnD.jpg?2

In a few days, I shall bother to read the instructions. 

First impressions are that combining the slow attack, drive and compression/limiting produces some interesting Fripp/Belew soundscapes. Feed that through a BOSS SL-20 Slicer and things get Edge-ish circa 1991/93.
You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6055
    I recall reading some terrible reviews of that when it came out but they may have been from people looking for the overhyped 'transparent' compressors that have flooded the market. EHX have always made effects that are prepared to go into sonic areas that more conservative makers shy away from. It's part digital I believe, which turned me away from it - I've found digital compressors to be quite bland, even though they can be remarkably effective (ie. Boss digital bass comp).
  • Has anyone tried the Boss CP-1X? it's really bloody good
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    JezWynd said:
    sonic areas that more conservative makers shy away from. 
    This is how I am using the EHX Platform.

Combined with the EHX Pitch Fork pitch shifter and Lester G rotary effect, the result is not massively dissimilar from the B9 and C9 pedals.
  • When I saw this my initial thought was the  Led Zeppelin Black Dog sound... Is that possible? Can you route the Left out into the Right initi to get serial rather than parallel?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    Can you route the Left out into the Right in to get serial rather than parallel?
    Dunno. (A cursory glance at the manual suggests not.)

It is unclear whether the stereo mode is two independent compression circuits with shared controls or if all input signals are summed to mono. I shall have to test it with two wildly different input signals. 

As mentioned earlier, I treat this pedal as a self-contained weird noises box rather than a conventional compressor/limiter. In all probability, the pedal will see the majority of action with my Chapman Stick.