The effects of speaker sensitivity

mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 318
edited February 2019 in Amps
I use a 2x12 with a vintage 30 and g12H anniversary in it at 8ohms with a 50w plexi style amp and it’s great.

I have been keeping a casual eye out for a 1x12 for a bit more portability and space saving and nice one has come up with a g12m65 creamback in it. 

The creamback is 97db and the two in my 2x12 are 100db. I know I like the combination in my 2x12 so I’m wondering what the difference will be in terms of volume/headroom when going to a 97db speaker. Will I notice much of a change?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72228
    Yes, probably. You’ll lose about 4-5dB overall, since there’s about a 1-2dB boost from having the two speakers in the 2x12”.

If you’re worried about loss of volume, put the V30 in the 1x12” and the Creamback in the 2x12”. (Which is a better combination with the G12H anyway, I think.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom