Anyone one ever had a body soda blasted?

What's Hot
Just wondering as I've a paint stripping job that i'm not looking forward to!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rexterrexter Frets: 369
    tFB Trader
    It's an interesting idea. I've actually just contacted a company local to me to see what they say. Will let you know if they get back to me. I've farmed out some stripping before but I wasn't too happy with their injudicious use of a metal scraper, so this might be a good alternative. 
    Custom colours, vintage restorations, high end guitar finishing
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    edited February 2019
    rexter said:
    It's an interesting idea. I've actually just contacted a company local to me to see what they say. Will let you know if they get back to me. I've farmed out some stripping before but I wasn't too happy with their injudicious use of a metal scraper, so this might be a good alternative. 

I've also noticed that my local firm offers a Vapour blasting service and it sounds a lot more wood friendly, was going to call in to them but not had the chance.
    tFB Trader
    BeardyAndy said:
    rexter said:

I've also noticed that my local firm offers a Vapour blasting service and it sounds a lot more wood friendly, was going to call in to them but not had the chance.
    Interesting, hadn't heard of vapour blasting.

A firm that do caustic dipping near me said they've done guitars before but wouldn't recommend it because the high temperature of the dip could cause the wood to warp. I think it also darkens the wood. That method is firmly on the no list for me!

I have some chemical strippers that are supposed to strip 2k paints but they've never managed it and they are just so horrible to the health that I don't enjoy it at all.
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    tFB Trader
    BeardyAndy said:
    rexter said:

Interesting! A firm that do caustic dipping near me said they've done guitars before but wouldn't recommend it becasue the high temperature of the dip could cause the wood to warp. I think it also darkens the wood. That method is firmly on the no list for me!

I have some chemical strippers that are supposed to strip 2k paints but they've never managed it and they are just so horrible to the health that I don't enjoy it at all.
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
  • rexter said:
    BeardyAndy said:
    rexter said:

Interesting! A firm that do caustic dipping near me said they've done guitars before but wouldn't recommend it becasue the high temperature of the dip could cause the wood to warp. I think it also darkens the wood. That method is firmly on the no list for me!

I've just emailed my lot (i'd forgotten about this thread to be honest) and i'll let you know what they come back with.

I'm not to worried if it rips the grain about a bit because i plan on a heavy relic look and I used to work as a gunsmith and do a lot of french polishing/ and oil finishing on shotguns but my worry is that the blasting medium getting stuck in the wood grain.
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    I once got blasted on Soda and white wine!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom