New saddles?

I've got a Fender Shiflett Tele. It comes with some bent steel saddles like those in the pic below.  I think they don't look particularly well made.

Is there any benefit in changing them for something else?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72237
    No.

Unless the screw threads aren't cut properly and the screws don't go in straight, they're made perfectly well enough to do the job.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JustMeJustMe Frets: 16
    I love Highwood Saddles.
    I have a set on my Anderson Drop Top and I love everything about them.
    Reasonably priced too.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14410
    ICBM said:
    No.

Unless the screw threads aren't cut properly and the screws don't go in straight, they're made perfectly well enough to do the job.
    What he said.

Modern stamped steel Stratocaster bridge saddles are as bad as the original. Luckily, Leo Fender’s original cheapskate design happens to sound right.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3386
    edited February 2019
    Thanks for the replies. Is there a recommended way to get the screw heads to be flush? The neck has been shimmed slightly but they still sit pround and I'd like them to sit below the level of the saddle if possible.

Should I just buy new screws? What diameter?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72237
    NelsonP said:
    Thanks for the replies. Is there a recommended way to get the screw heads to be flush? The neck has been shimmed slightly but they still sit pround and I'd like them to sit below the level of the saddle if possible.

Should I just buy new screws? What diameter?
    Shim the neck a little more - you'll only need a tiny adjustment probably, it's very effective.

Buying new screws won't help since they only come in a fixed set of lengths, and the next shortest will be too short. You could file the existing ones down by the right amount - but don't do what someone I know did and file the tops off!! You need to measure carefully how much is sticking up, and take the same amount off the bottom of the screw...

Bear in mind that the one real limitation with this design is that the screws should not be *below* the tops of the saddles - level with them is as low as you want to go, or they tend to fall out of the threads because the metal is quite thin.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein