Skiing

What's Hot
FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
Have not been for 9 years but the snow is so good Mrs F and I have squeezed in a long weekend in Axamer Lizum which is very close to Innsbruck.

Flight left Gatwick at 7.15am this morning and we were skiing by noon UK time having checked in and got fitted for ski's and boots. The transfer was about 20 minutes! 

Snow is amazing, there are around 30k of Olympic grade runs which is enough for a long weekend. Lift pass cost us 20 EUR each for the afternoon.

Hotel is lovely, ski in and out, steam room and sauna with naked people everywhere. Bonus.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2760
    Great :) have a fab time.  Love the look of that place - 5 ski lifts and one hotel :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    Absolute winner 
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    sev112 said:
    Great :) have a fab time.  Love the look of that place - 5 ski lifts and one hotel :)
    Great little place, the restaurant at the top is amazing it's more like a community centre. The entire south facing glazed wall opens up in good weather and they were having BBQ and social stuff there yesterday. Glorious.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Jealous.  It’s skiing that I really really miss from being ill.  This year is the second year that I will be missing.  We went to Chamonix in summer to kind of make up for it last year and just look at the mountains :) have a great couple of days 
  • Nice, I need to get something arranged. Did you use a travel company or DIY it?
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 907
    edited February 2019
    Me and the wife have a week of leave booked in March to go skiing/snowboarding. Probably looking at Austria, i've done most of my skiing in France so would be good to go somewhere else - although I have been to Hinterglemm and Mayrhofen before.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Naked people skiing, whatever next?
    Nice, I need to get something arranged. Did you use a travel company or DIY it?
    We booked everything independent. Staying at the Lizum 1600 which is brilliant. 

This is the Hodel mountain restaurant, stunning! That's Innsbruck below you can see. 

http://imgur.com/gallery/rs8KrgC
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Enjoy, dead jealous.  My last ski weekend this winter was a blizzard - zero visibility and everything shut :(
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • The snow this year is the best i can renember since i moved out here in 2006. lots of snow but also consistently below 0
  • @Teetonetal whereabouts are you? Innsbruck?
    I'm looking at that area for end of March (24-27) and wondering if the snow is gonna be good for skiing.
    If you've got tips on which ski areas are best - we're currently looking at Igls but 
    Axamer Lizum sounds decent too. That whole area looks ideal for easy airport transfers and plenty of slopes.
    @roundthebend ;
    if you are looking going late, I suggest Italy.  They look after their snow much better than anywhere else I have been
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112 said:
    @roundthebend ;
    if you are looking going late, I suggest Italy.  They look after their snow much better than anywhere else I have been
    Do you have any specific resorts to recommend, ideally with short transfers? The appeal of the Innsbruck area is that you can get from the airport to the slopes in 30 minutes.
  • @Teetonetal whereabouts are you? Innsbruck?
    I'm looking at that area for end of March (24-27) and wondering if the snow is gonna be good for skiing.
    If you've got tips on which ski areas are best - we're currently looking at Igls but Axamer Lizum sounds decent too. That whole area looks ideal for easy airport transfers and plenty of slopes.

@roundthebend, im just across the border in Switzerland, though im often in innsbruck for work.

transfer etc is very easy but end of march, could be warm and the slopes may shed snow quickly. Igls tops out at 2000m which is the same as my local resort (Braunwald) and we close mar 18th

id be looking more at kuhtai or others in the Innsbruck area that have slopes at 2500m

• @Teetonetal too late, we booked! everything I read said it should be good until early April. the lift passes are at peak prices until then and they have snow machines too. fingers crossed!
    sev112 said:
    @roundthebend ;
    Do you have any specific resorts to recommend, ideally with short transfers? The appeal of the Innsbruck area is that you can get from the airport to the slopes in 30 minutes.
    Head south from Innsbruck, and in no order other than geographical, Kronplatz, Alta Badia, Corvara, Colfosco, Cortina, And the Sella Ronda

And from Turin, easy drives to Lovely easy skiing in the valleys around Aosta, inc,using Pila, Champoluc, and Gressoney etc.  And you can easily drive to Cervinia, through which you can get lift access to Zermatt
  • @Teetonetal too late, we booked! everything I read said it should be good until early April. the lift passes are at peak prices until then and they have snow machines too. fingers crossed!
    Ah, cool. Sure you will be fine! This year at least there is plenty of snow, with most places have 2m snow depth around 2000m. Where did you pick in the end?
    Ah, cool. Sure you will be fine! This year at least there is plenty of snow, with most places have 2m snow depth around 2000m. Where did you pick in the end?
    Staying in Igls. Only a short trip and I'm a novice so we'll play for a couple of days with a view to coming back next year for longer.
    Heavy snow falling here now! Flying out tomorrow morning. 
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    @Teetonetal too late, we booked! everything I read said it should be good until early April. the lift passes are at peak prices until then and they have snow machines too. fingers crossed!
    Staying in Igls. Only a short trip and I'm a novice so we'll play for a couple of days with a view to coming back next year for longer.
    You'll be fine. The Reps in Hinterglemm were booking WELL into the first two weeks in April. the weather has been so cold and the snow when we were there 2 weeks ago was 2-3metres, pretty much everywhere, so there's zero shortage of snow. You'll have a blast!