Ibanez CS9 chorus

What's Hot
Calum13Calum13 Frets: 37
Been after one of these for a while now. They go quite cheap in America but are harder to find in UK. There’s one on eBay for £60+. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ibanez-C6-9-Stereo-Chorus-Effect-Pedal/254108213154?hash=item3b2a079fa2:g:ZWoAAOSwUlFcV0b8 Thoughts on this model? Doesn’t have any labels on the back.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    I really like the cs9 - it was my main chorus in the late 80s and 90s before I moved on to racks and I’d like another.   I use a ce2 now but imo the Ibanez is a little more open and less syrupy.   Hard to say if that’s an old one or the reissue without the label though.  

• JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    I’ve had a few (actually think the one in the listed auction used to be mine, I recognise the “dent” in the label on the top), great pedal. A bit clearer and flangey compared to the grungier warble of the CE2 which it is always compared to. I got into the Ibanez (or the Maxon CS9 which is essentially the same) because of Kim Thayill, so if you like that kind of tone, it’s great. Fwiw, I prefer the Boss for clean guitar and the Ibanez/Maxon with dirt, I just think they sound clearer that way. The Boss with dirt can be a bit too modulated and out of tune for me, while the Ibanez sounds very sheen-y on a clean guitar. Just my 2p.
    Fwiw, I now use a Jacques Meistersinger which is basically an interpretation of the above but with a level control, which doesn’t leave me wanting for much. Maybe keep a peeper out for one of those? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I already have a chorus pedal, a joyo analog chorus, which sounds good but I don’t like the cheap plastic enclosure, and I’ve watched YouTube demos and I think the Ibanez sounds better. I’ve messaged the seller asking if it’s original or reissue. When did the reissues come out?
  • I had one, looking at your avatar probably for the same reason you want one, Mr Squire used one. It sounded brill, you will love it. Mine had a really noticeable volume jump on it which coupled with the fact I only ever used it for one song in the band made me move it on. I have no idea of the model and don't know whether it was just mine or if its true of the model I'm afraid, sorry! 
    How very rock and roll
  • I had one, looking at your avatar probably for the same reason you want one, Mr Squire used one. It sounded brill, you will love it. Mine had a really noticeable volume jump on it which coupled with the fact I only ever used it for one song in the band made me move it on. I have no idea of the model and don't know whether it was just mine or if its true of the model I'm afraid, sorry! 
    Thanks! Yeah, volume jump won’t affect me as I either have it on for a full song or I don’t. 
  • I messaged the seller and he said he THINKS it’s a reissue because the back plate is different.

“In all honesty I am not sure of the year but I don't think it is one of the 80's ones, they seem to have a different back on them so Im gonna say re issue. It still sounds great!”

Is it still worth getting one of the reissues? People say the don’t sound as good as the originals. Can any of you tell if it’s an original or reissue?
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ibanez-C6-9-Stereo-Chorus-Effect-Pedal/254108213154?hash=item3b2a079fa2:g:ZWoAAOSwUlFcV0b8
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    Calum13 said:
    I messaged the seller and he said he THINKS it’s a reissue because the back plate is different.

“In all honesty I am not sure of the year but I don't think it is one of the 80's ones, they seem to have a different back on them so Im gonna say re issue. It still sounds great!”

Is it still worth getting one of the reissues? People say the don’t sound as good as the originals. Can any of you tell if it’s an original or reissue?
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ibanez-C6-9-Stereo-Chorus-Effect-Pedal/254108213154?hash=item3b2a079fa2:g:ZWoAAOSwUlFcV0b8
    I think it’s possible to date them from the chip but the obvious clues are from the ce label that is missing so hard to say for sure.   I don’t think there will be a huge amount of difference and if it’s stays at that price it’s probfly fair imo but I’m not sure I’d pay much more.  
  • shadyshady Frets: 252
    Be wary of the bypass if it is an original 80's model. I have an 80's PT-9 phaser that does something weird in bypass, but a reissue FL-9 that is absolutely fine. Like them both immensely though. 
  • Have one, love it!
    shady said:
    Be wary of the bypass if it is an original 80's model. I have an 80's PT-9 phaser that does something weird in bypass, but a reissue FL-9 that is absolutely fine. Like them both immensely though. 
    What power are you running it off?
  • shadyshady Frets: 252
    JDE said:
    shady said:
    Tried battery and psu, same thing. You can't hear it when playing clean, but with any kind of dirt engaged you can just hear the effect bleeding in when the pedal is off. 
  • I won the bid!  :) Paid 62 quid for it. It should come on Tuesday.
    shady said:
    JDE said:
    shady said:
    Tried battery and psu, same thing. You can't hear it when playing clean, but with any kind of dirt engaged you can just hear the effect bleeding in when the pedal is off. 
    Bummer! I hate signal bleed, never had a problem with vintage Ibby or Maxon’s assuming I ran them off a pedal power. 
  • Great pedal,turn both knobs to full for that John Schofield vibe...…..