Used a Marshall 1936 2x12 the other night...

What's Hot
... and it wasn't crap.

Received wisdom is that these cabs are garbage. At least what I've seen online anyway. But it was actually more than usable. It sounded great.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Did it have the g12t-75s in it?
  • Maynehead said:
    I don't know. We had a 10minute line-check and I didn't have a screwdriver.  =)

Bye!

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    How old was it? Recent ones have returned to being all-ply like the JCM800s, whereas most JCM900 and 2000 ones are MDF - that and the speakers both make a big difference. Retentive geek stuff I know, but it does actually matter!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1254
    I tend to the “if it works for you in your rig it’s fine, and to hell with received wisdom...” line, and a 1936 has been working just fine in my rig (originally as an extension cab for a Mesa 5:25, more recently with a Blackstar Series One) for a very long time now...

I’ve added an extra set of feet to one end of mine and generally use it in a vertical format (smaller footprint and sounds much better close up in a tight stage area). Apart from it being a bit on the big side and quite heavy it’s absolutely fine...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    IWiresDreamDisasters said:
    Maynehead said:
    Did it say 1936 or 1936v on the badge?
  • ICBM said:
    How old was it? Recent ones have returned to being all-ply like the JCM800s, whereas most JCM900 and 2000 ones are MDF - that and the speakers both make a big difference. Retentive geek stuff I know, but it does actually matter!
    I honestly don't know. It was a loaner from one of the other bands.

Maynehead said:
    IWiresDreamDisasters said:
    Maynehead said:
    Did it say 1936 or 1936v on the badge?
    I believe it was a 1936, not the v version.

Bye!

I had the MDF non V version with g12t-75s, it was the first cab I ever bought. Got it from a shop near Denmark St on sale for 200 quid, and had to haul it home with me on the bus!

I never thought it was terrible, although when I started gigging I began to suspect that it was contributing to my problems with cutting through the mix.

I decided to try something else, so bought a Harley Benton 2x12 with V30s, and as suspected, I cut through better with it and I kind of like my tone better too.

So I traded my 1936 for an Orange 1x12, and never looked back. Thinking about it, it was probably the speakers more than the cab itself that I didn’t like, so if your cab had replacement speakers, it could well sound pretty nice.

WiresDreamDisasters said:

Pah. Damn proper musicians. Don't you know *anything*?

;)

It can actually be a genuine problem, if you can't easily find out why something sounded good or bad... you have no idea how it might apply in future.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:

Pah. Damn proper musicians. Don't you know *anything*?

;)

It can actually be a genuine problem, if you can't easily find out why something sounded good or bad... you have no idea how it might apply in future.
    I agree. But not a lot you can really do at a show. You just have to observe as much as you can and remember it for the future.

Bye!

• I've gigged using a 1936 for years. I had a chipboard one, swapped the speakers for v30s. Then I sold it and went down a rabbit hole of trying various cab and speaker combinations. Then I bought another one. Swapped the speakers for v30s...discovered it was one of the new ply ones. Sounds great. But then so did the old chipboard one with the T75s In! 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    edited February 2019
    If it wasn't a V then it'll have T75s, which I actually don't mind - I'd always stayed away from them as everyone on the internet slated them, but as it turns out, people on forums are idiots  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    I used to use a 1936 cab and thought it was alright, however I still found that they took as much effort to cart around as a 1960 4x12 so I ended up using that most of the time anyway.
  • I have a very beat up 1936 with a V30 and a Creamback, sounds fine to me.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    I loved the sound of my old 1936 cab, but I went back to 4x12s because I could hear it better on cramped stages. 
  • I have an 80s ply 1936 with its original T75s, only use it at home, it is fantastic :)
    clarkefan said:
    I have an 80s ply 1936 with its original T75s, only use it at home, it is fantastic :)
    It's also worth mentioning that the *original* G12T-75s are different from the later ones too - they have a vented magnet, whereas the later ones (both UK and Chinese-made) don't, and the older ones sound better to me. I'm not convinced that there's much or any difference between the later UK and Chinese ones.

• rawk100 said:
    I used to use a 1936 cab and thought it was alright, however I still found that they took as much effort to cart around as a 1960 4x12 so I ended up using that most of the time anyway.
    I think that's part of the reason why I like them...they are almost as big as a 4x12 so they sound very open...not boxy. But they are small enough to be a 1 man carry.
  • ICBM said:
    clarkefan said:
    I have an 80s ply 1936 with its original T75s, only use it at home, it is fantastic :)
    It's also worth mentioning that the *original* G12T-75s are different from the later ones too - they have a vented magnet, whereas the later ones (both UK and Chinese-made) don't, and the older ones sound better to me. I'm not convinced that there's much or any difference between the later UK and Chinese ones.
    The ones I have are the ones that came directly after the vented ones which Celestion discontinued relatively quickly; they are apparently the same speaker except for the actual vent, which caused problems with detritus getting into the gubbins (or so I've read, you'd know better).

I do have a set of vented ones too, I must crack them out.

clarkefan said:

The ones I have are the ones that came directly after the vented ones which Celestion discontinued relatively quickly; they are apparently the same speaker except for the actual vent, which caused problems with detritus getting into the gubbins (or so I've read, you'd know better).
    I've only ever seen it be a problem on Peavey Black Widows, which have a foam plug in the vent that disintegrates over time and gets sucked into the coil gap. Never on any kind of Celestion - it won't be an issue in a closed-back cab anyway.

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Despite all the forum haters, the 1936 is a good cab. I toured with one and a Laney L20h for a year and it always sounded great. 

They aren't seen as desirable because they've always been relatively cheap to buy, but they're light, built well and theres nothing wrong with the speakers.