Connecting & recording advice / help wanted please (Lexicon Omega / Reaper / Pod XT)

close2uclose2u Frets: 997
edited February 2019 in Studio & Recording
I seem to be going all retro and I have just got hold of a Line 6 Pod XT (this one: https://uk.line6.com/legacy/podxt/)

I have also got a Lexicon Omega SV-UK (this one: https://lexiconpro.com/en/products/omega)

I don't have any software for either though I think I have successfully downloaded the drivers for each.

I have also just downloaded Reaper.

Treat me like an idiot with no tech vocabulary or know-how.

What do I need to do? What do I need to know?

How do I connect them all together for compatibility  / communication etc in to a Windows 10 laptop?

What settings do I need to access so they can all talk to each other by default?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    up - for edited OP
  • fendergibsonfendergibson Frets: 562
    edited February 2019
    The pod XT can act as your sound card you just need to select it as your in and out in reaper. I used to use this kind of set up with cakewalk. I had the outputs of the XT wired to my home stereo for monitoring etc. It sounded great
  • You need to go into preferences in reaper to select your sound card ie. Pod XT
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    You should be looking for ASIO drivers. It's probably worth giving the lexicon a shot to see what the latency is like, if you have issues getting drivers ASIO4all is free and good. If you want to use a microphone, I imagine the lexicon is better. (I have no direct experience of either device, I should point out)
    Windows laptops sometimes take a bit of optimisation to get the best out of them for recording, usually to do with avoiding the power saving features designed to prolong battery life. Robin Vincent's Molten Music channel on youtube has a lot of sensible advice.

Record at 24bit if your soundcard allows it, and if not then buy a better one. 44.1 or 48K should be fine (48K if you are intending collaborating with video makers) 96K and upwards uses too many system resources unless you have a top spec computer.

A MIDI keyboard is useful for recording VST instruments and also programming drums so would probably be a useful upgrade.

In my opinion, music is the reason computers were invented - so enjoy! And feel free to ask more detailed questions if you want.
    @fendergibson ;

Thanks. Yes I found that. I can now see both the Pod and the Lexicon as options in Reaper when I go in to the ASIO selection.

@wave100 ;
    Thanks for the advice.
  • There’s a YouTube page called Reaper Mania which has loads of good instructional advice. 

Its been a while since I used one but I think there’s something called Line6 monkey (?) with which you can access loads of presets, both official and user created. I had a Satriani one which had autowah and it was superb. 

@fendergibson thanks :)