Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What have I missed with this comparison?

What's Hot
So we're going around this roondaboot again.

What have I missed with this comparison? Coz I'm leaning towards putting together the top board. Most of the pedals I already own. I don't own the board yet - which would be a Rockboard Cinque 5.3.

The middle one is the Rockboard Cinque 5.2.

I think ultimately, I just want the "better" (better flavour, not quality) sounds from my single stomps, rather than the Helix. But the Helix does so much and is so convenient. It's hard to move away from it. But I think I am gonna.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 895
    edited February 2019
    deleted
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 895
    edited February 2019
    deleted
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• Other blindingly obvious comparisons people want?
    Wow.

Bye!

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    Assuming that this thread concerns a pedalboard for stage work rather than the vulgar display of one's entire collection at a single glance ...

• Decide what devices are absolutely essential for the set that you will be performing.
    • Install ONLY those onto a board large enough to take all of them.
    • Do the show.
    Members of this guitar forum might be able to spot the difference between a BOSS and a Way Huge chorus pedal. The overwhelming majority of your audience can not and does not even care. 

If you absolutely need every possible sound under the sun in a convenient, portable package, it is probably time to commit to digital modelling.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Assuming that this thread concerns a pedalboard for stage work rather than the vulgar display of one's entire collection at a single glance ...

• Decide what devices are absolutely essential for the set that you will be performing.
    • Install ONLY those onto a board large enough to take all of them.
    • Do the show.
    Members of this guitar forum might be able to spot the difference between a BOSS and a Way Huge chorus pedal. The overwhelming majority of your audience can not and does not even care. 

If you absolutely need every possible sound under the sun in a convenient, portable package, it is probably time to commit to digital modelling.

It's for stage and studio. It's meant to be a go-to board for any sound I could ever want, which for me is chiefly delay and reverb based.

I don't really want to be chopping and changing pedals all the time for specific set-lists. And I tend to stack delays and reverbs a fair amount too. So I doubt chopping-and-changing would even result in much of a smaller board.

I don't just play for the audience. I play for myself too. If I play a good show and I'm enjoying it, then it's more probable that the audience will too.

IMHO, a digital modeller does not give you every possible sound under the sun. You're always going to get "their" particular flavour of implementation.

Finally - this wasn't an attempt at vulgarity. If that's how you're seeing it, then it says more about you than it does about me to be frank.

Bye!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    I can't really offer much advice, other than...

Is the wah a standard Cry Baby type as shown in the pic? If so, don't worry about powering it from the board - battery life is huge in them, they only draw a few mA. That will only save one cable and a small amount of hassle, but still some.

Do you need a separate tuner in option 3? Is there one on the Helix? (I'm not familiar with it.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    I can't really offer much advice, other than...

Is the wah a standard Cry Baby type as shown in the pic? If so, don't worry about powering it from the board - battery life is huge in them, they only draw a few mA. That will only save one cable and a small amount of hassle, but still some.

Do you need a separate tuner in option 3? Is there one on the Helix? (I'm not familiar with it.)
    Huh... didn't consider a battery in the wah tbh. How long would one last?

I do need a separate tuner. I use it as a mute as well as a tuner, and this is in the context of songs too, plus the Helix tuner isn't very good. Even since the latest updates.

Bye!

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I go for number 1. Everything on the board.
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173

I changed mine 3 years ago.
  • Why the fuck are you posting pictures of guitar FX pedals on a guitar FX pedals forum? 
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    WiresDreamDisasters said:

Months, at least - possibly years, depending on how long you leave it plugged in for each time.

I do need a separate tuner. I use it as a mute as well as a tuner, and this is in the context of songs too, plus the Helix tuner isn't very good. Even since the latest updates.
    Ah, I see. Pedal kill switch...

I did wonder about the Helix tuner too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7765
    edited February 2019
    You're missing Balls

I don't see any fun fuzz or drive pedals.
    Too much delay, too much reverb. 
    It looks like Christian rock board. 

Sorry, you did ask
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Other blindingly obvious comparisons people want?
    Wow.
    Oh, sorry - I thought this was published somewhere! My bad! I didn't realise you had done this yourself for decision-making purposes. Too professional looking. Deepest apologies.  :#
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    Sorry, you did ask
    This says more about me than it does about you or the OP. ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • WiresDreamDisastersWiresDreamDisasters Frets: 16664
    edited February 2019
    You're missing Balls

I don't see any fun fuzz or drive pedals.
    Too much delay, too much reverb. 
    It looks like Christian rock board. 

Sorry, you did ask
    I have a 3 channel amp which I use with the band - Diezel D-Moll - and a 4 channel amp I use at home and in the studio - Diezel VH4 - so I don't need any drive pedals really. I could throw my ThorpyFX Fallout Cloud on there every now and then if I fancied a fuzz thing.

Delay and reverb are critical to my playing style, and I like to have a lot of different options.

Bye!

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7411
    Option 3 plus one of your preferred reverb machines, and a weight training regimen 
    Red ones are better. 
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173

Other blindingly obvious comparisons people want?
    Wow.
    Oh, sorry - I thought this was published somewhere! My bad! I didn't realise you had done this yourself for decision-making purposes. Too professional looking. Deepest apologies.  :#
    That's what I thought, too! I thought he was asking "What am I missing in this comparison?" and you want to answer, "Well, dude, they're three completely different things". ;-)
  • Personally I think you'd be better with a Fractal FX8. The reverbs and delays are better than Strymon quality, it has myriad modulation options, the wahs are tremendous, it has an outstanding compressor, it's totally programmable, it's bombproof, and they go for a stupidly low price used.
  • Personally I think you'd be better with a Fractal FX8. The reverbs and delays are better than Strymon quality, it has myriad modulation options, the wahs are tremendous, it has an outstanding compressor, it's totally programmable, it's bombproof, and they go for a stupidly low price used.
    I must say, I agree 100% with this... Id have another FX8 like a shot.
    Personally I think you'd be better with a Fractal FX8. The reverbs and delays are better than Strymon quality, it has myriad modulation options, the wahs are tremendous, it has an outstanding compressor, it's totally programmable, it's bombproof, and they go for a stupidly low price used.
    I must say, I agree 100% with this... Id have another FX8 like a shot.
    Probably one of the least inspiring and average sounding effects units I've ever owned if I'm being honest. My experience with it does not mirror what you guys are saying at all. I owned a MKI and found it clunky and average. Very poor delay oscillations too.

Bye!