Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What have I missed with this comparison?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Put up with the tuner, it’s perfectly fine, and get some contact lenses ;)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Personally I think you'd be better with a Fractal FX8. The reverbs and delays are better than Strymon quality, it has myriad modulation options, the wahs are tremendous, it has an outstanding compressor, it's totally programmable, it's bombproof, and they go for a stupidly low price used.
    I must say, I agree 100% with this... Id have another FX8 like a shot.
    Can’t agree with this really... I thought the FX8 drives sounded average at best and the delays all sounded a bit similar. I thought the Helix as FX only was a step up in terms of sound quality and it’s way more pleasing to use. I had my FX8 over a year ago now though so FW updates may have improved matters.

What about an HX FX?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Doesn’t matter. Neither option will stick for that long. I think you are quite particular with your sound and also like mixing things up. So doomed for eternal fx restlessness.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Doesn’t matter. Neither option will stick for that long. I think you are quite particular with your sound and also like mixing things up. So doomed for eternal fx restlessness.

:((

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3964
    I've been toying with the vulgar display of all my pedals on a single board thing (more so I can wander into the room and just plug straight in to everything without fannying about) but in the end the logistics proved onerous. And expensive.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5327
    Anecdote, and for different situations, so possibly not relevant, but just in case ... for ages I ran two small-ish boards. Pedaltrain Classic Jr with tuner, drives, distortion, wah etc.to run into the front; Diago Gigman with all the delays and modulation in the loop.

Then I got pissed off with tap-dancing so bought a loop switcher, but couldn't cram all of the pedals + the switcher onto the Pedaltrain. I also got pissed off with having to carry two boards everywhere, find space for them, and so on.

So I bought a BFO Pedaltrain unit (in flight case) and stuffed everything onto that, including wah and volume.

I think it was after about the third time I lugged it in and out of the car, and tried to stop the bass player treading on it no matter where I set it up, that I thought "I need a smaller board ...".

On the plus side it is extremely convenient having everything on one board, and it makes for a much easier life cabling up and driving the thing once rigged. But it's bastard heavy, awkward to store, and something of a floor hog. Kind of thing that would get you beaten up if you took it to a jam, and not just (in my case) because if the cheap shit pedal choices.

If I had my time over on that one I would have thought long and hard about what pedals I really needed, and found a way to cram that lot onto something Jr sized. I'm kind of tempted to do it now, apart from I sold the Jr to contribute to the monster, and my missus would shit herself after the fuss and justifications I made for building the big sod :/
  • Snags said:
    Anecdote, and for different situations, so possibly not relevant, but just in case ... for ages I ran two small-ish boards. Pedaltrain Classic Jr with tuner, drives, distortion, wah etc.to run into the front; Diago Gigman with all the delays and modulation in the loop.

Then I got pissed off with tap-dancing so bought a loop switcher, but couldn't cram all of the pedals + the switcher onto the Pedaltrain. I also got pissed off with having to carry two boards everywhere, find space for them, and so on.

So I bought a BFO Pedaltrain unit (in flight case) and stuffed everything onto that, including wah and volume.

I think it was after about the third time I lugged it in and out of the car, and tried to stop the bass player treading on it no matter where I set it up, that I thought "I need a smaller board ...".

On the plus side it is extremely convenient having everything on one board, and it makes for a much easier life cabling up and driving the thing once rigged. But it's bastard heavy, awkward to store, and something of a floor hog. Kind of thing that would get you beaten up if you took it to a jam, and not just (in my case) because if the cheap shit pedal choices.

If I had my time over on that one I would have thought long and hard about what pedals I really needed, and found a way to cram that lot onto something Jr sized. I'm kind of tempted to do it now, apart from I sold the Jr to contribute to the monster, and my missus would shit herself after the fuss and justifications I made for building the big sod :/
    I can definitely relate to that.

I've always had big boards. But our last album ???? Two DD7's and an RV-5 primarily. A phase 90 thrown in every now and then, and a 535Q wah thrown in for some solo's....

The setup itself was tiny. But very tap dancy.

Bye!

• I dont think I could ever be enticed back to single stomps for my main board (although I did make 2 mini boards for fun)
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8591
    Do you want your wah physically on the board whilst playing? I store mine there, but lift it off and place it diagonally to the right and in front of the board for ease of use.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.

• As you know, I'm a sadarse shoegaze addict. I've tried fuck knows how many plugins and IR files to get that Midiverb/SPX90 reverse gate sound. They're good but they never quite hit the fun of a proper SPX90. So I gave up trying to replicate the sound and instead I'm throwing shit out of the living room so I can have an SPX90 and a GSP1101 setup so I can strum and look at my feet with headphones on when the kids are in bed. 

The moral of this story? Sometimes you just have to accept that you've got to deal with more cables and something bigger and heavier to get what you want. So go with the top board. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Roland said:
    Do you want your wah physically on the board whilst playing? I store mine there, but lift it off and place it diagonally to the right and in front of the board for ease of use.
    I'm actually fine with using the wah and volume on or off the board. Doesn't make much difference to me tbh!

As you know, I'm a sadarse shoegaze addict. I've tried fuck knows how many plugins and IR files to get that Midiverb/SPX90 reverse gate sound. They're good but they never quite hit the fun of a proper SPX90. So I gave up trying to replicate the sound and instead I'm throwing shit out of the living room so I can have an SPX90 and a GSP1101 setup so I can strum and look at my feet with headphones on when the kids are in bed. 

The moral of this story? Sometimes you just have to accept that you've got to deal with more cables and something bigger and heavier to get what you want. So go with the top board. 
    That's kinda the vibe I have right now too. There again... if I pair down to two reverbs and two delays... that would shrink the board a fair bit also.

Bye!

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993

option 4: double width live in amp rack. two dizels on one side - 16U rack space on the other side, with space for pedal trays, helix rack, and drawers to hold a helix control and an extra midi controller for the rest. Then you can attach a saddle to the top, and fit a motor to drive the caster wheels and rive the rack case.

Pros - no compromise , ultimate flexibility, no need to take public transport

cons - might need to get it licensed with DVLA ... no other downsides

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    <narrator>
    And Patrick was entirely correct.
    </narrator>

Bye!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom