Cheap midi controllers

thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9713
edited February 2019 in FX
Hi all, I'll be googling this later but thought I'd ask for thoughts and knowledge first here.

I bought a cheap midi controller for to change patches on my Gsp1101 without having to lean over and turn the dial and without smashing my headstock on the desk. However sadly it didn't come with the PSU and the hole for it is slightly smaller than the standard boss sized barrel so I'm going to have to buy one. 

It's also exactly the same width as my pedal board so no room on the board for the Whammy that I still want to use,  also any other pedals I try to use it with now have to be on the "back row" making stamping on them a bit trickier.

So I was wondering before I waste time and money trying to buy power supplies that fit (including the time and postage sending back the ones that don't fit despite the websites saying it will) I thought I'd ask if there were any other smaller ones that were quite cheap but decent, whilst I still have time to take this one back to Cash Generator.

It's the Digital Music Corp Ground Control

Cheers all
Thanks
Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    What sort of size are you after?
  • I'll have to measure the board, but essentially the size of that less the Whammy.

I'm annoyed I didn't check the dimensions as I'm normally quite fastidious for that. I should have considered it as I'm not sure why I thought something with so many footswitches would fit (other than I'm stupid)

The other option is to get rid of the GSP1101 for something useful but I don't think that'll be feasible at the price point (plus I'd lose the IR ability so would need a further pedal)

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9713
    edited February 2019
    Right, the pedalboard is apparently 60cm wide, the Whammy plus a bit of room for the cables is about 20cm so I guess something around the 40cm mark should work.

Or, perhaps I just need a better preamp that can be controlled easier. If I return the Ground Control and sell the GSP1101 maybe I could have £130 to play with at the optimistic end, which might get me a used Pod hd of some sort?

Downside being I wouldn't have the IR capability anymore, nor the brilliant Octavia from the gsp
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    Morning star controller seems to be the most versatile for the size and isn't mega bucks.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9713
    edited February 2019
    Ah right ok, hmm, I think replacing the modeller is maybe the best bet then as they are definitely above budget. Cheers for the tip though