Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I've just done a very interesting comparison

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    roberty said:
    I went through a phase of ordering variety packs of picks online and now I have a couple of ashtrays full of them. I use 1mm Tortex for everything now, including bass and acoustic. Maybe I could go faster with a pointy one, but I'm getting pretty quick. My tutor uses the same ones and he does slayer to tempo etc

Pick n mix anyone?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJO said:
    roberty said:
    I went through a phase of ordering variety packs of picks online and now I have a couple of ashtrays full of them. I use 1mm Tortex for everything now, including bass and acoustic. Maybe I could go faster with a pointy one, but I'm getting pretty quick. My tutor uses the same ones and he does slayer to tempo etc

Pick n mix anyone?

No thanks, I always gag on those things.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• I the last 20 odd years I’ve used pickboy nylon 70’s for all acoustic duties and pickboy ceramic 70 for all electric stuff, becoming very hard to find in the uk but available in Europe .(Best buy some more befor the end of next month though!)
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28329
    I have loads of different ones. They are pretty much all OK to use, and at the same time none are right for me. I prefer the feel of no plec.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    hywelg said:
    Does anyone clip them when they get worn down or do you all throw them away?
    For a while I wipe them on the carpet to tidy the edge, but as soon as they get noticeably shorter I ditch them
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6874
    Roland said:
    hywelg said:
    Does anyone clip them when they get worn down or do you all throw them away?
    For a while I wipe them on the carpet to tidy the edge, but as soon as they get noticeably shorter I ditch them
    Nail files also make for accurate re-tapering! 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24284
    I’ve never got on with “normal” sized picks - i.e. the Fender 351 shape that dominates everywhere.  The only picks I ever use now are Medium Fender 358 Mandolin picks.  Their diminutive size gives me far more control than the comparatively huge slice of plastic that is the 351.

I still play like an epileptic octopus, but I have more control!
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Area you sure interesting ? 

I'm j juno .. Fun .. Drink... Drunk  

Hwlli
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2408
    @rossyamaha ; I need to see a pic of you shredding with a 60mm pick! 
    I’ve seen it. The hefty 6cm wedge snaps all of the strings and cuts through the guitar faster than Malmsteen can say “timber”. 
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24284
    Myranda said:
    Area you sure interesting ? 

I'm j juno .. Fun .. Drink... Drunk  

Hwlli
    I suspect a wein has been drunied.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I used to like soft picks for acoustic...until I started trying to mic it up and all I could hear was the frafting of the pick. 
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited February 2019
    Orange Tortex .. good enough for the Pixies = good enough for me  :)

P.S. I use the Green Tortex for bass.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • I used to be green dunlop, then orange dunlop but recently my son bought me a selection of picks for my birthday and I really like these Kozik .6mm ones: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jim-Dunlop-BL27R60-0-60mm-Classic/dp/B003B13HOQ

I think they are meant to be the same as the white dunlop ones but they aren't. I think they are ultex. 50p each at Dawsons.
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    Pick choice is one of the largest factors affecting tone other than amp or guitar choice. 
    I never understand why most guitarists stick to one pick type when using a variety opens up so many different tonal options.
    I use everything from a Jazz III to a large wooden Timbertones pick and everything / anything in between. The tonal differences are huge.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Tried all kinds over the years, but have used fairly heavy picks for most of my life so far. Current choices are 1mm little Stubby for most things (still have a stash of the old clear ones!), and Jazz III/ Jazz III Petrucci's for the jazz/ widdle stuff.

No photo description available

littlegreenman < My tunes here...