Josh Smith 2019 UK tour

What's Hot
Michael84Michael84 Frets: 27
edited February 2019 in Events
Anyone planning to go to one of these? I'm going to the one in London on 23/03.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've got Birmingham in my diary. Sods law something work related will come up but hopefully going. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• I'm thinking about going to the Edinburgh show, I really like his playing and he seems like a good chap but after brief listen to the new album, his songs are a bit meh.
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky

• I'm thinking about going to the Edinburgh show, I really like his playing and he seems like a good chap but after brief listen to the new album, his songs are a bit meh.
    Yeah I agree. I only liked a couple from his new one. I prefer his older stuff.
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2366
    Saw him last time around, but not liking his new songs either. He's one of many guys like this at the moment......great players, nice people but no songs. Too much time posturing on the internet scraping a living from endorsements rather than writing, ultimately no one will remember their songs, but understandably its needs must for them.
     There's certainly a gap or opportunity in the song writing market right now.....maybe the great writers are just too expensive now there's no big record company budgets anymore. J.D SImo, Matt Schofield and Kirk Fletcher are in the same boat too...nice guys....amazing players.....no memorable songs. Bought Kirks last record....first track sounds like a bad outtake from SRV's In Step. A shame......have said that Bonamassa has paid big bucks for song writers and I'm not hearing anything that great there either. Maybe the craft has died.
    So back on track....seen him once.....no need to go again. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • He's playing near me on the 22nd but I'm seeing Kirk Fletcher that day. I've seen Kirk and JD a couple of times each and I didn't consider there to be a lack of good songs.  I think things that come over as a bit bland or sterile when listening at home are more dynamic and enjoyable in a live setting.  Josh is playing in London on the 26th, might go to that. 

Simo and Tommy Emmanuel on the 20th - anyone else going to that one?  Busy couple of weeks!
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Strat54 said:
    Saw him last time around, but not liking his new songs either. He's one of many guys like this at the moment......great players, nice people but no songs. Too much time posturing on the internet scraping a living from endorsements rather than writing, ultimately no one will remember their songs, but understandably its needs must for them.
     There's certainly a gap or opportunity in the song writing market right now.....maybe the great writers are just too expensive now there's no big record company budgets anymore. J.D SImo, Matt Schofield and Kirk Fletcher are in the same boat too...nice guys....amazing players.....no memorable songs. Bought Kirks last record....first track sounds like a bad outtake from SRV's In Step. A shame......have said that Bonamassa has paid big bucks for song writers and I'm not hearing anything that great there either. Maybe the craft has died.
    So back on track....seen him once.....no need to go again. 
    I have to agree with this. I put on Greg Kochs album the other day whilst decorating, perfectly competent and some tasty playing, but didn’t move me much and not gonna rush to replay it.

Who can blame them though - Patrick Droney gets 3k views for an outstanding live performance of a great original song. When he does a Fender demo, 172k views. 

Being a guitar personality is the better job these days, sad but true.
  • I loved watching Josh as a guitarist but his voice isn't great and the songs are dull (not compared to me but compared to musicians I like).  Same with nearly all 'guitarists' guitarists.

Landreth has an amazing voice and is a great player but the songs all sound like they are off The OC or Dawsons Creek.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • OnparOnpar Frets: 416
    There are still great guitarists out there with good voices and fab songs. I saw Ariel Posan last night and he was quite simply amazing. His album is awesome. Marcus King is another good guitarist with a stunning voice and great songs. Saw him last year at the 100 club. 
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6682
    I loved watching Josh as a guitarist but his voice isn't great and the songs are dull (not compared to me but compared to musicians I like).  Same with nearly all 'guitarists' guitarists.

Landreth has an amazing voice and is a great player but the songs all sound like they are off The OC or Dawsons Creek.

Agree completely. Landreth is amazing but wet and Smith is amazing but forgettable. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • drpbierdrpbier Frets: 226
    the songs are dull.  Same with nearly all 'guitarists' guitarists.
    Wisdom from me, couldn't agree more. I have zero interest in guitar wanking, there's no emotional charge. Songwriters who play guitar are where it's at - with Johnny Marr the reigning champ IMHO.