Update.......My Katana died

What's Hot
midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 1434
edited March 29 in Amps
switched on, nothing, no lights, no sound, checked mains lead, checked plug sockets, zilch. ive had it two years, bought used so doubt its under warranty. have gigged it every week, plus practise, been brilliant until now. ive opened it up to have a look, not that i know much but found the little fuse, i tested that for continuity and thats working so im not sure what to do now. I dont know if these things are repairable by amp techs or whether roland/boss will repair them.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 36787
    Even if it's not under warranty, it's worth someone having a look at it. No lights/nothing is actually one of the more hopeful faults - as opposed to lights but no sound, which with digital gear is often a bad sign.

When you say you tested the internal fuse, did you test it out of the circuit or in place?
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ICBM said:
    Even if it's not under warranty, it's worth someone having a look at it. No lights/nothing is actually one of the more hopeful faults - as opposed to lights but no sound, which with digital gear is often a bad sign.

When you say you tested the internal fuse, did you test it out of the circuit or in place?
    i tested it out of the amp, put a multimeter probe either end and current passed through,
  • markblagdonmarkblagdon Frets: 1009
    ICBM said:

i tested it out of the amp, put a multimeter probe either end and current passed through,
    Did you check the mains lead fuse as well. That’s as far as my knowledge goes.
    Karma......
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 21010
    Which Katana- 50W or 100W?

It is a bit of a gamble- what is the hourly rate for a tech?
    £60?
    Two hours work is more than half the price of the a new 50w Katana- at £190 new with a warranty.
    I don't like chucking stuff away but the chance that it is a quick fix is outweighed by the chance of having to spend to fault find and then repair vs just buying a new one.

I'd probably sell the broken one on eBay as broken/for spares and then buy a new one with a warranty.
    Or keep the old one for spare parts.
    "I don't go to mythical places with strange men." Douglas Adams
    Trading Feedback

• ICBM said:

Did you check the mains lead fuse as well. That’s as far as my knowledge goes.
    i tied a different lead, a known working one im afraid

• octatonic said:

£60?
    Two hours work is more than half the price of the a new 50w Katana- at £190 new with a warranty.
    I don't like chucking stuff away but the chance that it is a quick fix is outweighed by the chance of having to spend to fault find and then repair vs just buying a new one.

I'd probably sell the broken one on eBay as broken/for spares and then buy a new one with a warranty.
    its a 100w comb o, i bought used for a good price so ive had value out of it. i gues ive now got a 12" speaker and cab. but ill see if it can be fixed. I dont like b inning stuff from an ecological point of view
    midlifecrisis said:

Definitely OK then...

If there's no apparent power getting through at all, there could be other fuses. Many modern Roland amps have sealed PCB-mounted fuses too, which are a nuisance to change. The real problem is that if it is a fuse failure, the chances are that it's the result not the cause.

Or it could be something else fairly simple on the power side, eg the switch itself - you really need someone to meter round the circuit with it turned on, if you're not confident enough to do that yourself. That should at least give you an idea if it's worth spending more time and money on.
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• ICBM said:
    midlifecrisis said:

Definitely OK then...

If there's no apparent power getting through at all, there could be other fuses. Many modern Roland amps have sealed PCB-mounted fuses too, which are a nuisance to change. The real problem is that if it is a fuse failure, the chances are that it's the result not the cause.

Or it could be something else fairly simple on the power side, eg the switch itself - you really need someone to meter round the circuit with it turned on, if you're not confident enough to do that yourself. That should at least give you an idea if it's worth spending more time and money on.
    i will test the contacts after the switch measure the voltage on and off to see if power is getting through. anything more than that i better give it to a tech
  • @ICBM ; noticing a very quiet electrical hum when switched on, not coming from speaker but from the amp itself.
    @ICBM ; noticing a very quiet electrical hum when switched on, not coming from speaker but from the amp itself.
    Does it have a conventional power transformer? I haven’t seen inside one.

If so it probably means the power is getting to that, and the failure is on the secondary side.

• ICBM said:
    @ICBM ; noticing a very quiet electrical hum when switched on, not coming from speaker but from the amp itself.
    Does it have a conventional power transformer? I haven’t seen inside one.

If so it probably means the power is getting to that, and the failure is on the secondary side.
    yes there is a transformer
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 10740
    edited February 12
    octatonic said:

£60?

its a 100w comb o, i bought used for a good price so ive had value out of it. i gues ive now got a 12" speaker and cab. but ill see if it can be fixed. I dont like binning stuff from an ecological point of view
    Me neither, which is why I've gone back to analogue. 

My 100w Katana died in the same way, just out of warranty. Given that it's an MDF cab with a pretty harsh speaker it just went in a skip I'm afraid.
    It's a big ol' lump to keep as spares when the only usable spares are a handful of ugly knobs. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 3412
    This is why I ultimately backed out of going Katana/Blues Cube/Nextone despite thinking they provide really decent sounds. 

The general lack of repairability as witnessed by some here who have been left with unrepairable amps or in a difficult decision about financial viability of getting it looked at just feels wrong. 

Its been a thing for a long time - but back then if your CMOS battery died in a first generation digital amp it  had probably lasted 5 or 6 years at least. 

I wonder if if the savings these companies make by not having a sensible support setup (aimed at cutting purchase price) will ultimately limit people’s preparedness to buy them at all 
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
    TimmyO said:

I wonder if if the savings these companies make by not having a sensible support setup (aimed at cutting purchase price) will ultimately limit people’s preparedness to buy them at all 
    It hasn’t affected sales of new TVs or computers.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 6490
    turn it off and on again... download the latest drivers for it... reinstall the OS
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    turn it off and on again... download the latest drivers for it... reinstall the OS
    I bet it's the sound card...
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 4608
    ICBM said:
    TimmyO said:

You can get 5 year warranties with a lot of TVs these days.  Given the rate of change of technology, a lot of people are looking for an excuse to upgrade after 5 years.

That will slow down.  Resolutions above 4k won't show any significant difference in picture quality in 95% of situations.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 2268
    Actually, thinking about the Katana, it has to be worth hooking it up and re installing the Firmware, nothing ventured etc

• sweepy said:
    Actually, thinking about the Katana, it has to be worth hooking it up and re installing the Firmware, nothing ventured etc

how can you reinstall firmware without powering it on, please explain, connecting to pc doesnt even recognise it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 2268
    My mistake, I thought you said that the lights were on with no sound, makes note to find glasses next time :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • im giving it to a tech today, he says if its on the digital side theres not anything he can do, but if its on the other stuff it might be repairable. fingers crossed. looks like im gigging a peavey valveking this weekend.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 3787
    Pretty sure the Katana uses a TDA chip for the output, like loads of amps have done over the years. They don't like being pushed hard and often fail. That won't be hard to replace. You would be unlucky for the DSP to go wrong, it's all low voltage and low current ..... it is SM but not small SM compared to most of today's tech

Anyone gig'ing one reasonably loudly would be wise to have some kind of backup as a failure at a gig is game over unless your carrying a spare Power I.C, desoldering gear and various other bits. 
    People think valve amps are unreliable and things like Katana's are vastly more reliable but I don't think they are and when they do go wrong you can't just swap the valves over in 10 minutes ....
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 2291
    edited February 12
    Did you buy it new? If so, well worth having a chat with the store and/or Boss UK - stores can (in theory) be on the hook for up to 6 yrs under UK consumer rights. These have changed over recent years but well worth discussion.  I certainly wouldn't rush to pay a tech until I'd exhausted store & manufacturer support. 

And did you register it for extra 2 yr warranty? Even if you didn't, Boss might still accept it:
    https://www.roland.com/uk/company/company_policy/warranty/

WARRANTY PRODUCTS

The following products receive a 3 year warranty

• Boss recorders
    • Amplifiers / Monitors
    • V-Guitars
    • Roland Digital Pianos
    • Keyboards
    • Drum modules
    • Drum machines
    • Atelier
    • Sampling / Percussion / Dance / DJ machines
    • Audio Interfaces
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • @Voxman ; no, i bought it used but at a great price and have certainly had good use out of it. if it can be economically repaired by a local guy i know im happy to pay him rather than have to ship it off to boss.
    edited February 12
    @Voxman ;;;;; no, i bought it used but at a great price and have certainly had good use out of it. if it can be economically repaired by a local guy i know im happy to pay him rather than have to ship it off to boss.
    Sorry, my bad - I didn't read your OP properly when you said it was used ... silly Voxman    
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 3412
    ICBM said:
    TimmyO said:

I take your point - but there aren’t people making TVs the old way that also deliver the same end experience as new tv tech provides. A traditionally ( or better or whatever we want to label it) built amp sounds good - TVs that aren’t as fragile screened as modern stuff (CRTs, Plasmas) don’t deliver a 4K HDR picture. 
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 1103
    Buy from Gear4Music and take advantage of their 6-year warranty for a 2.5% fee.  Good value for stuff like Katanas.
    TimmyO said:

I take your point - but there aren’t people making TVs the old way that also deliver the same end experience as new tv tech provides. A traditionally ( or better or whatever we want to label it) built amp sounds good - TVs that aren’t as fragile screened as modern stuff (CRTs, Plasmas) don’t deliver a 4K HDR picture. 
    Valve amps don’t deliver the same end experience in terms of flexibility and features of digital ones either, no matter how well they’re built or if they sound better.

Lack of reparability is just the way modern consumer electronics is going, and probably at least 95% of music gear is ‘consumer’ quality rather than ‘cost no object’.

• just had an email from roland UKwho rather decently have agreed to repair it under warranty, and send a courier to collect it. Im impressed. i will update any further developments
    0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    just had an email from roland UKwho rather decently have agreed to repair it under warranty, and send a courier to collect it. Im impressed. i will update any further developments
    As I said, it's always worth talking to the manufacturer!  My experience of Boss service has been great so I'm not surprised!  I was told by Boss UK that provided gear hasn't been misused, they will always try to help - kind of like an unofficial lifetime warranty.