Amp Died, so I used a DI...... (Now I'm considering an AmpliFIRE Box)

What's Hot
HoarasaurusHoarasaurus Frets: 110
edited February 2019 in Amps
I play regularly at a Church, where I use a semi-isolated VOX AC4 miced up, and monitor through IEM's. 

So. last Sunday, the VOX decided to not work, so i was left with my backup of using the output of my Tech21 RK-5 Flyrig through a DI. I was expecting the worst, and was genuinely surprised at how good it sounded, for a passive speaker emulation, it got me out of a fix very well. 

This has got me re-evaluating my Sunday setup, and having spent a bit of time googling, I've come to an appreciation of the Atomic AmpliFIRE Box. Which could also prove quite handy in my studio too. 

What are peoples thoughts?
Lots of Nice Guitars, and not enough pedals!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Gotta ask yourself - what would Jesus do?

I think he'd buy a Helix.

;)
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31569
    I bought an AmplifiBox and was not only disappointed with the sound, but it died after six days and I sent it back. 

Funnily enough I replaced it with a FlyRig 5 which sounds great and responds far more like a real amp, so make of that what you will!
  • Gotta ask yourself - what would Jesus do?

;)
    Ha! I wondered when that gag would make an apeearance!
    As for the Helix; As amazing as they are, I don't need owt too complicated, Just something to be a virtual amp and speaker....
  • p90fool said:
    I bought an AmplifiBox and was not only disappointed with the sound, but it died after six days and I sent it back. 

Funnily enough I replaced it with a FlyRig 5 which sounds great and responds far more like a real amp, so make of that what you will!
    Hmm. interesting. That's certainly how I'll be running things for the near future, whilst i make m mind up.
    Don't judge the Amplifire box's reliability on mine particularly, while it's not an unheard of fault it's not very common either, but it really didn't sound great without a lot of editing and even then it didn't respond dynamically like an amp at all. 

I was amazed at how much more natural a playing experience the FlyRig was tbh. 
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3392
    p90fool said:
     it really didn't sound great without a lot of editing and even then it didn't respond dynamically like an amp at all. 

There are other church players that would disagree:
    http://atomicamps.com/forum/index.php?threads/vote-of-confidence.2143/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Gotta ask yourself - what would Jesus do?

;)
    Amen to that brother.

Seriously, go onto YouTube and check out the worship music tech channels. In the US I'd say 90% plus using modelling units. Line 6 POD HD500X and Helix units are very popular.

Here's an example from Worship Guitar Sound

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    NelsonP said:
    p90fool said:
     it really didn't sound great without a lot of editing and even then it didn't respond dynamically like an amp at all. 

There are other church players that would disagree:
    http://atomicamps.com/forum/index.php?threads/vote-of-confidence.2143/
    We disagree on far more fundamental issues than amp sims, believe me!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fretwired said:
    Gotta ask yourself - what would Jesus do?

;)
    Amen to that brother.

Seriously, go onto YouTube and check out the worship music tech channels. In the US I'd say 90% plus using modelling units. Line 6 POD HD500X and Helix units are very popular.

Here's an example from Worship Guitar Sound

I'm fully aware of the versatility of the Helix etc, but I'm way more of an analogue geek. My pedals and me are very happy with each other. Like i said, I'm only looking at the amp/speaker emulation, and it'll probably be a set and leave thing. I've been very happy with just a tone and volume knob....
  • p90fool said:
    Don't judge the Amplifire box's reliability on mine particularly, while it's not an unheard of fault it's not very common either, but it really didn't sound great without a lot of editing and even then it didn't respond dynamically like an amp at all. 

There's definitely a simplicity to using the Flyrig, and I was genuinely impressed at how well it sounded in my IEM's.

The AmpliFIRE Box, yes i can see it being a little involved for setting up, but i can see it being very  versatile in the studio, especially in conjunction with my Matamp, more so that the Flyrig is. And it takes processing load away from the computer, which is always a help. 

I'd be very interested if anyone has any clips of them using them?
  • onyironyir Frets: 45
    I've been using an Atomic Amplifire (the one with the 3 buttons, but the amp models are the same as the box) for over 3 years now. Never had an issue with it. In terms of getting a decent sound, I've never had to do any deep editing. I've been quite happy with the sounds I get by using just the amp controls.
    For reference I play mostly classic rock, and gig regularly with a covers band
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    When Helix has been suggested, I'm guessing that they mean the HX Stomp, being a similar form factor to the amplifire.  There's nothing stopping you form only using the amp and cab blocks on it.  If memory serves, even the amplifire box has a limited number of effect pedals built in
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    I had one briefly.  I was frustrated by the lack of effects loop, which ruined the utility of having XLR output for me (if you want to use the FB for amp gain and also use the XLR out, you have to have all your other effects pre-dirt). 

So in the end I just put it inline between my drive and time effects, and used it for mostly clean sounds.  However, I never quite gelled with the sound, and at one gig I put my Tech21 Leeds pedal next to it, and quickly realised I much preferred the Leeds.

So, a similar story to @p90fool in that the Sansamp won in the end.
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • I had an Amplifire (3-button model) for a couple of months. Personally I thought it sounded great, but then again I bought it used with a load of bought 3rd party patches and IR's already installed, which probably helped. I've since 'upgraded' to a Helix Stomp. I don't think the core sounds are any better with the Helix tbh, but the big difference is the user-friendliness of the interface in terms of creating/editing sounds, and also just in terms of the visibility on the unit itself. Helix also has more variety of effects, but if you're not a big FX user then won't be a deal breaker for you I guess. 

I was sorely temped by the Amplifire-Box at the time too, but managed to find a used full-fat Amplifire for considerably less than the new price of the AFB. Used AFB's were like hen's teeth at the time I was in the market for one.
  • Berhringer GDI
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    If you liked the fly rig why not just stick with that ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd stick with the flyrig.
    I honestly think it's fender emulation is easily on par with the helix but a lot simpler to use
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 913
    If you like the Flyrig but want a bit more flexibility, why not consider an impulse response loader like the Mooer Radar? You could change the speaker emulation which would make a big difference to your tone.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    drwiddly said:
    If you like the Flyrig but want a bit more flexibility, why not consider an impulse response loader like the Mooer Radar? You could change the speaker emulation which would make a big difference to your tone.
    You can’t turn off the speaker emulation in the flyrig.  It’s pretty good anyway
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 913
    John_A said:
    drwiddly said:
    You can’t turn off the speaker emulation in the flyrig.  It’s pretty good anyway
    Ah! Not tried one so didn't realise that.