talk to me about cheap strats.

racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 996
edited April 2014 in Guitar
even though a hank marvin squier strat was my first ever guitar,i haven't played one since.am thinking that maybe i should think about getting another one (there's a few guitars i have on the list).looking for something that is versatile,but nice to play.don't want to spend a lot if i go for one though (thinking up to £300 or so).

what does it for you about strats and what do you look for in one?

i like the white squier hot rails strat if that helps at all ;-)

i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    Squier Classic Vibe?
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    My own personal experience is that you have to try a few different models, in order to hone in on the one that's best for you.
     I like bare bones basic models, no fancy tbx, greasebucket or S1 switching. I also like to have the middle pickup free from any tone pot (eric johnson style). But I also like locking tuners. I'm not fond of overly hot strat pickups. But that's me.

For £300 or even half that, squier classic vibes are generally considered one of the better choices.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2319

Levinson Blade 2nd hand.

10000000000 times better than ANYTHING else you'll get for anywhere near the price..

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Often overshadowed by the Classic Vibe, have a look at the Squier Standard.

A proper Big Headstock Strat for about £230.

(I played Strats in my last proper band and had a couple of these knocking around as spares. They are good)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    Used G&L tribute legacy or s500
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4178
    A big + 1 for the Squier CV , pop in a decent trem block and thats all you need
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    I had a Simon Neal CV and it was a very good guitar .I sold it as it was a bit heavy for me  at the time but I feel a lot better now  so it was medium weight in reality .You start getting in the G&L used price range too .Very good  too .
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11872

Get a used Korean Fender Lite Ash strat

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Korean-Fender-Strat-/321388077609?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item4ad438e229

They go for £300-£400 I think

Better than Mex ones - similar to Jap and USA ones I reckon

If you don't know already, learn how to check the neck relief, and how to spot a twisted neck. Buy that strat Haynes manual before going to buy a guitar?

Also, whilst not strictly strats, the first (Japanese made) Fender pawnshops were sold off very cheaply at the end, and I bought 2, which are at least as well made as my USA Fender guitars:

the 72, and the 51

These were over $1100 RRP, I think about £750 when discounted in the UK:

this one ends in a few hours and has no bids:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-2011-Pawn-Shop-Series-72-immaculate-condition-/261458003525?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3ce01c8645

this one went for £300 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Stratocaster-Pawn-Shop-Offset-Special-/221359360444?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item338a0bc9bc&nma=true&si=9AfF6U5YcrHoaMLSykCMQX3n9wM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

the 51s are not quite as pretty for me, but have a SC on the neck, sold for less than £300

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Pawnshop-51-Stratocaster-/151264899016?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2338172fc8

These are much better than the Mex blacktops, and contain more upmarket hardware and pickups

e.g. Bridge Pickup: Enforcer Humbucking Pickup

Neck Pickup: Wide Range Humbucking PickupandPickups: Enforcer™ Humbucking Pickup (Bridge): very powerful ceramic rock pickup .Texas Special™ Single-Coil Neck Pickup: Bluesy and warm fat single coil pickup.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898
    edited April 2014
    Squier Vintage Modified.

Can be pickup up used for £100ish.

Nice for the price!
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I really liked the squier deluxe, 

It had all the features of the US standard (2 point trem, 22 frets etc) played and sounded great.

No idea what they are like on the used market.

You cant go wrong with a second hand mex strat either

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    cheap strats everywhere... some cheaper than others... all sound the same!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Ideally get yourself a Japanese 60's / 62 reissue neck, some SSL1 or 57/62 pickups, CTS pots, orange drop cap, any old or new alder strat body, Kluson tuners and USA Trem and a 60's mint green pickguard and you are good to go with a vintage tone machine.  Paint it any colour you want or just oil it or leave it unpainted and call it a Rory Gallagher relic.  Might be a touch more than £300 but you can't beat it for the price for a 60's style strat.  Or just get a MIM standard and put some 57/62's in it?  Once you play Texas Specials, SSL1's or 57/62's you get spoilt and the pups on a Standard MIM just don't cut it for you.  Even the MIM 62 reissue MIM necks are not bad either, if you decide to import one from Ebay.

For looks alone, I like the MIM 50's reissue with a maple board in Daphne Blue and want one of those, no idea what they sound like though, or what the neck feels like and I can't usually get on with lacquered boards, but I'd be willing to try it as it looks so nice.

The 62 reissue necks are VERY playable, MIM or better still Japanese, more than a standard 10" radius MIM strat IMO.

Just watch you get the full width I(USA) screw hole and string/saddle spacing with your body, as MIM and Squier bridges are closer together on the screw hole spacing and bridge spacing than the USA bridges.  Some things like road worn series, have the wider screw spacing, but the saddles are closer.  I prefer the USA wider string spacing myself.

Even if it costs more, if you are in no hurry, as part payments over time, it's nothing considering you get what you want. Having a MIM standard already, that is what I did, as no way could I afford a decent 62 reissue.  Although I did get lucky buying someone's relic project, that was actually really well done in three tone sunburst nitro, Texas Specials and an early Jap neck and USA saddles for just under £300 IIRC.  I have another almost identical sunburst 60's project I made myself, totaling around £330 odd with a roadworn body and MIM 62 neck and SSL1's.  But that roadworn body is way light though.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock