Boss Katana - 50W or 100W

What's Hot
Hi guys,

I’m looking at buying a Katana at the end of the month, but I’m not sure which model to get. Initially I wanted the 100w 1x12, but now I’m thinking about getting the 50w after seeing numerous videos and posts online vouching for its quality, headroom, and pure volume.

Before I take the plunge though, does anyone out there have any advice that could sway me in one direction or another?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DontgiveupyourdayjobDontgiveupyourdayjob Frets: 3821
    edited February 2019
    What are you wanting to use it for? If you're only playing in the house then the 50w will be more power than you'll ever need. 50w can keep up with drummers at rehearsals and gigs at a push, but the 100w should be able to hold its own in any small to medium sized gig scenario without breaking too much of a sweat (unless you're playing really heavy stuff?).

I believer the 1x12 100w also has a higher spec speaker as well, which apparently contributes to a 'better' sound, but can't say I've ever A/B'd them so couldn't really comment on how much (if any) difference there is. 
  • If you want to use a looper or any pedals in the fx loop, you'll need the 100. It also has direct out and you can use the better footswitch. 

If none of these things are relevant, the 50 will be more than adequate 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • What are you wanting to use it for? If you're only playing in the house then the 50w will be more power than you'll ever need. 50w can keep up with drummers at rehearsals and gigs at a push, but the 100w should be able to hold its own in any small to medium sized gig scenario without breaking too much of a sweat.

I believer the 1x12 100w also has a higher spec speaker as well, which apparently contributes to a 'better' sound, but can't say I've ever A/B'd them so couldn't really comment on how much (if any) difference there is. 
    Thanks for the response.

I will mostly be using it for home practice and recording, however later in the year I’m moving and will be looking to join a band, so if that goes well, rehearsals and small gigs should hopefully be on the cards as well.

Rob Chapman’s video (Katana v Drummer) really makes it seem like the 50w can tackle a small gig really well, which is why I’m now looking at the 50 instead only 100. 

If I can safely save some cash, I’ll defintely be inclined to do that.
  • If you want to use a looper or any pedals in the fx loop, you'll need the 100. It also has direct out and you can use the better footswitch. 

Okay this is a deal sealer. Does the 50w not have an effects loop then?

Nope, it does not 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Nope, it does not 
    Okay, thanks for the information. I absolutely need an efffects loop, and I wouldn’t have discovered this until after it arrived...
  • I've got the 50w which I use for home use only so it's on the 0.5w setting for 95% of the time.  I can't therefore comment on the headroom, etc (other than it's loud on 25w and 50w settings!) but one thing missing on the 50w is the effects loop. I didn't think this would be a big thing at the time but with hindsight I think I should of gone for the 100w - it also has the option to use the GC-FC foot controller and an expression pedal - with the 50w you can only use either the expression pedal or the FS6 pedal. 

These things might make a difference if they are important to you in additional to volume, etc.
  • The 50 will hold it's own in a band, as I commented in one of your other threads I tended to use 2 50 combos in stereo, but on the odd occasion in smaller venues I only used one of them and it was loud enough.

I didn't need an effects loop as I ran the amps clean with all my pedals into the front end.
  • I have the 100. It's definitely the better option as it's future proofed.

You'll need the 100 if you want an effects loop, to buy the GA-FC pedal at some point, and it has a better speaker. 

• The 50 will hold it's own in a band, as I commented in one of your other threads I tended to use 2 50 combos in stereo, but on the odd occasion in smaller venues I only used one of them and it was loud enough.

I didn't need an effects loop as I ran the amps clean with all my pedals into the front end.
    Yeah I remember you saying now. I think it was actually you who recommended the Katana in the first place. In which case, thanks!

In my haste I failed the see that the 50w doesn’t accept the GC-FC footswitch and has no loop, which is a major selling point of the 100w.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31577
    I bought the 100 because of the extra facilities it has, but the 50 I later borrowed sat better in a band mix for me. 

Either way, they sound great at home and for recording. 
  • i was going to buy the 50 but i saw a bargain used 100 so went for that, im glad i did even though the effects loop and gafc capability wasnt of interest at the time, i did end up using it. i have gigged and rehearsed with it most weeks unfortunately mine has died, not sure if its going to be repairable economically, but i'd still recommend it and quite likely buy another
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    edited February 2019
    I had the same predicament and plumped for the 100 because of the extra features and use in a band. But I've used the 50 in the local music shop a few times and it still sounds fantastic. They're great little amps for the money and, thankfully, nice and light to carry compared to some of the stuff I've lugged around over the years. The Phones/Rec Out output on the 100 is pretty good for recording and silent practice too. 

EDIT: I should add that although I started off using the FX loop on the 100, I now tend to just put everything through the front because I'm very lazy, and don't use much of the onboard effects. But I like having the option should I want to. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • I've got a 50 Watt, works great.  I'm not as big on effects as some , I use the channel switch to  go between a light reverb/chorus setting to a volume boost with a touch of delay for solos.  I haven't played a gig where I needed more than this amp, partly because almost every bigger venue we've played has me running the line out to the board.  Unless you want the extra effects options the 100 has with it's bigger footswich option a 50 would do.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• I had same dilemna - ended up buying the 100 2x12 - absolutely stunning - I have owned amps ranging between £15 and £5000 and IMHO this is the best value for money amp I have ever owned - the 0.5Watt setting is sodding loud when cranked but sounds great - really feels like a tube amp. Also it has a few more features than the 50 watt.
    As an aside I find no trouble with the footswitch despite some of the grumbles I read when researching the amp.
    FYI I also bought the Air which is a really sorted little practice amp and so hassle free.
    I am sadly also looking into buying a Katana Head now which I completely don't need

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    edited February 2019
    As others have already pointed out, the 50W doesn’t have an effects loop and doesn’t have all the footswitch options that are available on the 100W (neither of which are an issue for me).

As for volume, my experience is that it is easily loud enough for jam sessions and small gigs. I regularly go to a local jam night and have never needed it at anything more than the 25W setting (admittedly with a fairly domesticated drummer). Only issue I have with it is that IMHO it doesn’t really cut through the mix quite as much as I’d like when soloing. Not a volume thing - more something about the tone/EQ that doesn’t make it stand out from anything else that might be going on if that makes any kind of sense at all.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • The extra facilities and power are all handy and I am 90% of the time a home player but its nice to know when i need it I can just throw it in the car and use it down the dog and duck well church hall LOL