Peavey Classic 30 Tweed, any thoughts.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72245
    jpfamps said:

Valve King is worse in my opinion; PCB mounted fuses in an amp where the PCB is tiresome to remove.
    I’ve done a few - just cut the wires and fit a holder above the PCB. No need to remove the board at all.

The MkII Valve King PCB is a write-off if the ‘valve monitoring system’ goes up in smoke though, like the last one I worked on...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4171
    ICBM said:
    jpfamps said:

Valve King is worse in my opinion; PCB mounted fuses in an amp where the PCB is tiresome to remove.
    The MkII Valve King PCB is a write-off if the ‘valve monitoring system’ goes up in smoke though, like the last one I worked on...
    Is that the "TSI™ tube monitoring with LED pass/fail indicator lights"?

Same thing in the Classic 20 Mini head.
    Philtre said:

Yes.

A solution in search of a problem which becomes a real problem if a valve shorts and feeds high voltage through the monitor circuit.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4171
    ICBM said:
    Philtre said:

Yes.

A solution in search of a problem which becomes a real problem if a valve shorts and feeds high voltage through the monitor circuit.
    One of the reasons I bought my Peavey Classic 20 Mini Head new was because they have a 5 year extended warranty if you register the amp with them.
  • ive got a valveking 50w combo mk 1 version, ive had it a while but not used it much. im gonna gig it this weekend as my katana is out of action, anything i should be aware of?
    ive got a valveking 50w combo mk 1 version, ive had it a while but not used it much. im gonna gig it this weekend as my katana is out of action, anything i should be aware of?
    No, the VK MkI is very reliable.

• ^^^
    thanks
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    edited February 2019
    I've had a C30 for years and it's been totally reliable. I agree with the boxy sound with stock speaker and I resorted to a 1x12" cab, (I actually got by with an 8 ohm jobbee) and it upped the sound a treat and it takes pedals really well. I have to confess I prefer the HRDIII I now use, but the C30 gave me 8 years of reliable service and still looks and performs, well, better than 'er indoors.     
  • Well, Steve Earle always gigs with them (C50)... just sayin’
    Well, Steve Earle always gigs with them (C50)... just sayin’
    The C50 and C30 are completely different amps. The C50 is good...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    I've fixed an awful lot of broken Classic 30s.
    Once fitted with a decent mains transformer, and a few tweaks to voltages, they're ok. Ish.
    An amp with fundamental flaws.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom