Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Video editing software

What's Hot
LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
As of this morning i'm the official company videographerchap. This apparently falls under the 'any other reasonable stuff' on my job description. Having never done any video making, i was the first choice for the role that includes no additional benefits.

It will just be short product demonstration videos, nothing too inspiring.. 

So uh... what do i need? List me in the beginner category and the budget falling under the 'some' category! 

Any thoughts, tips, experience?

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4302
    Sony Vegas plus a fast Pc. And a nice dSLR with good video recording. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sony a6500 is worth a punt for a good video mirrorless camera.

Da Vinci Resolve is free and is a good NLE.

Bye!

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11813
    Mac or Windows?

Adobe Premiere or Final Cut Pro is the go to industry standards. 

The basic Movie Maker for both OS will do simple editing, I've made one with the free one in the Mac just fine, you can add text, music overlay, transitions and all sorts.
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    Thanks for the suggestions, will have a look at the free ones for now, if it works out and i need more features i'll have another look. 
    Will be windows.

Cheers
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1395
    edited February 2019
    Star wipes. Lots of star wipes. 
    How very rock and roll
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2602
    edited February 2019 tFB Trader
    Mac or Windows?

Adobe Premiere or Final Cut Pro is the go to industry standards. 

The basic Movie Maker for both OS will do simple editing, I've made one with the free one in the Mac just fine, you can add text, music overlay, transitions and all sorts.

Yes this..

I have both Final Cut and Premiere Pro..  Excellent software, but not cheap.. 

BUT if you have the right version of windows, Windows Movie Maker is free and is a basic package but does the job if you are just doing basic edits. If you have Windows 10 there is a way too get movie maker, it comes preinstalled on older versions.

• LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    I've just started using Davinci Resolve. It appears to be really good, and the free version is very fully featured. The full version is not too expensive either.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Davinci resolve is good and free. For a camera, you won't go far wrong with most modern m43 cameras from olympus or Panasonic, or an aps-c from Sony (a6500 is decent, a6300 should be fine for 1080p).

The 1080p from my fuji xt2 is fantastic but it doesn't have stabilisation - you can get stabilised lenses or a gimbal, but for a beginner it is probably best to avoid gimbal and the like. However, last gen fuji are (like the Sony bodies) affordable and output great video. Sony probably the better choice. 
  • Panasonic in my experience are superb for video, FZ2000 can be found much bargainus now and video is outstanding.
  • Tripod and a microphone - and do the voice over afterwards, doing it live will make it sound less formal, if that's what you want.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 945
    Re software.

I really like Vegas too although takes ages to render the final video  

Do not get corel videostudio especially the 2019 one. It is full of bugs and crashes  often  tech support are next to useless. 
  • Davinci resolve is good and free. For a camera, you won't go far wrong with most modern m43 cameras from olympus or Panasonic, or an aps-c from Sony (a6500 is decent, a6300 should be fine for 1080p).

The 1080p from my fuji xt2 is fantastic but it doesn't have stabilisation - you can get stabilised lenses or a gimbal, but for a beginner it is probably best to avoid gimbal and the like. However, last gen fuji are (like the Sony bodies) affordable and output great video. Sony probably the better choice. 
    Yep, I use Resolve as well - really easy to use, costs nothing and it's a really polished bit of software. Has GPU acceleration built in as well, which is bug-free as far as I can tell.

Also, it works on Windows, OS X and Linux, and you can convert stuff to/from a whole bunch of other editors too.
    <space for hire>
  • oafoaf Frets: 300
    I'd be tempted by this:
    Comes with a full copy of Resolve too.

• LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    I think the free version of Resolve does not use GPU acceleration (I could be wrong about that?)
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4510
      benmurray85 said:
    Star wipes. Lots of star wipes

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    edited February 2019

Da Vinci Resolve is free and is a good NLE.
    Yup, start with this.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    Resolve is great especially for free. A Sony or Panasonic m4/3 camera will be great. I prefer Panasonic as whilst Sony have great specs they just aren't as nice to use imo.

Most importantly you'll need some lights as well. If you search YouTube for cheap led lights you'll find some comparisons and recommendations for decent cheap ones.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Also watch some videos on three point lighting.
    Youtube has loads of tutorials.
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    Looks like Resolve it is! :) 
    Camera wise, will probably have to use what we have, at least to start.. I think it's a Sony HX400V or something, which should be ok to start. Not high tech stuff.. but when you're demonstrating a commode not sure you want 4k... 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiS said:
    but when you're demonstrating a commode not sure you want 4k... 
    Scope for some sound effects then.