Considering a new delay

What's Hot
lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
At the moment I have a TC Nova Delay. Whilst it's very good and I have no issues with it (although the change from manual to preset mode isn't always simple) I am beginning to wonder if it's overkill for me.

I wanted it because of all the presets but in actual fact I never use them. I just adjust on the fly and trend to just use the analogue delay setting anyway.

So, what is a good alternative delay that had a separate tap tempo switch? Would spend what I could get for the Nova Delay so around £100 I guess. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5137
    edited February 2019
    https://www.stonedeaffx.com/syncopy

Looks interesting- an actual analogue delay with a full second of delay time and tap tempo. 

The MIDI stuff and presets are probably still overkill...

EDIT: Ignore that. Thought you said £100 plus what you got for the Nova Delay.

T-Rex Reptile? Visual Sound Tap Delay?

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• Boss DD7 all day long. If you mainly use the analog setting on the Nova, then you'll be very happy with the DD7. You'll also have change to put towards something else. The DD7 has many options, but it's charm is in the set and forget nature
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • preston61 said:
    Boss DD7 all day long. If you mainly use the analog setting on the Nova, then you'll be very happy with the DD7. You'll also have change to put towards something else. The DD7 has many options, but it's charm is in the set and forget nature
    Doesn't have a separate tap tempo footswitch though does it?
  • Carbon Copy Deluxe? 

They have come down a bit in price so aren't that much more (new) than a Carbon Copy. Would give you tap tempo analog (sic) delay with subdivisions plus a few bells and whistles if you wanted them. You can have it voiced as a standard CC or as the CC Bright.   

Tap tempo isn't separate, I'm not sure how important separate vs built in is? 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Carbon Copy Deluxe? 

They have come down a bit in price so aren't that much more (new) than a Carbon Copy. 
    Still considerably more than £100 though...

• Carbon Copy Deluxe? 

By separate I mean a dedicated footswitch in the pedal rather than some where you have to press for 2 seconds to get tap tempo
  • Carbon Copy Deluxe? 

By separate I mean a dedicated footswitch in the pedal rather than some where you have to press for 2 seconds to get tap tempo

What about a dedicated external switch? Pretty sure the DD-7 and others have an input for one.

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited February 2019
    preston61 said:
    Boss DD7 all day long. If you mainly use the analog setting on the Nova, then you'll be very happy with the DD7. You'll also have change to put towards something else. The DD7 has many options, but it's charm is in the set and forget nature
    Doesn't have a separate tap tempo footswitch though does it?
    As it happens I think it's better than that:  I used to run a DD-7 in analog mode -- totally agree with the set and forget comment -- and the foot switch was a Boss FS-5U which could be right under my mic stand while the pedal board was off to one side. 
    I know the FS-5U (or any unlatched foot switch tbh) would add few quid but it's a brilliant companion to the DD-7.
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 880
    The TC Flashback 2 is £90 new, has an analog setting and you're free to load three more analog-style toneprints.  To have an external tap tempo switch you run the Flashback 2 in mono and follow the instructions.

My TC Alter Ego v2 has a tap tempo feature that I just discovered while looking into this:
    • Hold down the footswitch.
    • With the footswitch held down, play steady short 1/4 notes on your instrument.  Output is muted during audio tapping.
    • Release the switch again

• revsorg said:
    The TC Flashback 2 is £90 new, has an analog setting and you're free to load three more analog-style toneprints.  To have an external tap tempo switch you run the Flashback 2 in mono and follow the instructions.

My TC Alter Ego v2 has a tap tempo feature that I just discovered while looking into this:
    • Hold down the footswitch.
    • With the footswitch held down, play steady short 1/4 notes on your instrument.  Output is muted during audio tapping.
    • Release the switch again

The Flashback 2 doesn't do the strum tempo thing although as you say you can have external tap tempo.

Carbon Copy Deluxe? 

The Carbon Copy Deluxe has a dedicated built in footswitch. 

• revsorgrevsorg Frets: 880
    edited February 2019
    markv is selling a TC Flashback X4 for £110 inc. postage which would appeal to me if I wanted a built-in tap tempo switch.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338

Considering a new delay

...sounds like another early day motion being put down to thwart Brexit...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • In that price range I can't really think of many options other than the DD7. £100 would get you a 2nd hand one and a Boss FS5U to go with it; or a Bright Onion tap tempo switch. You plug it into the side of the DD7 and use it to tap the tempo that way.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Line 6 M5. 60 quid second hand, and as simple or complicated as you want it to be.
  • Carbon Copy Deluxe? 

They have come down a bit in price so aren't that much more (new) than a Carbon Copy. 
    Still considerably more than £100 though...
    I’d obviously missed the budget. 

Outside choice - NUX Atlantic. Smart tap ( the bypass switch doubles up as tap tempo) and you’d get reverb thrown in too for 129 of your finest English pounds. 
  • Also, Mooer ReEcho Pro. £105ish new.