Do all the different Jet City 20 watt amps sound different from each other??

riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
I think these amps look great on paper and i recently got to try out a brand new custom 22, the new one with all the toggle switches.
I found it a very dark amp on the 1st channel, and the 2nd channel got too dirty too quick to get the sounds I was looking for out of it. It just didn;t work for me.
I found it similar to a lot of modern metal amps where I just can't seem to get the EQ to sound how I like it.

I wondered if all the jet city 20 watt amps were like this of if it was just the custom 22.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• longilongi Frets: 95
    edited February 2019
    The new 5 watt amp is a completely different amp the the other Jet City amps. When it first came out I emailed Jet City about them as I after it if it was still the Soldano design and they said it was a different circuit altogether. 

I forget the amp manufacturer it was so long ago, something like Gorilla amps. They were American I know that, not the cheapy SS amps from the 90's.

The Amelia is a Martin Kidd design, I forget which amp though.

I didn't find the Custom 22 a dark amp though. I love mine .
  • The 20HV is very different. I use that as my main gigging amp but bought a Custom 22 as a back-up thinking it’d be similar but with the advantage of the two channels. I find the same with the Custom 22 as the OP, the drive channel is way too much for my classic rock tastes. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    A 12AT7 in V1 (both channels) or V2 (dirty channel only) will reduce gain and brighten the tone.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    ICBM said:
    A 12AT7 in V1 (both channels) or V2 (dirty channel only) will reduce gain and brighten the tone.
    This is useful to know. I had been offered a Custom 22 head in a possible exchange deal. 
    Be seeing you.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    The custom 22 has crazy gain on channel 2, I modded one of mine to reduce it and cut C6 to make it warmer. Channel 1 is dark but also has a bright switch, you can get a great chimey Fender tone out of it.

Out of the 5 or 6  JC amps I've owned I've kept he original, super cheap 20H, it's perfect for classic rock. 

The standard JCA22H would probably suit you best tbh. 
  • The 22H sounds like it's quite versatile, must look into one myself at some point.

I'd recommend the one I have as well, the 20HV, I'm really enjoying it, but they've been out of stock for a long time.
  • clarkefan said:
    The 22H sounds like it's quite versatile, must look into one myself at some point.

I'd recommend the one I have as well, the 20HV, I'm really enjoying it, but they've been out of stock for a long time.
    does it do the marshally classic rock thing??
  • Difficult for me to say, I have cloth ears, I can't tell Marshall tone from say Mesa tone when everything is gained up, plus I only play at home so have never cranked it.

All that said, I really like the sound clipping a bit with some gain boost from pedals, sounds great, for what it's worth.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    edited February 2019
    The 22H seems pretty Marshally, more gain on tap 

Each time I watch that video I want to try one of these out. Sounds awesome to me. 
  • TTBZ said:
    The 22H seems pretty Marshally, more gain on tap 

Each time I watch that video I want to try one of these out. Sounds awesome to me. 
    Sounds great . The one I played didn’t sound like that !