Soldano effects loop and modellers?

What's Hot
John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
In the past I’ve had good results running a modeller into the effects return or full 4cm with a variety of amps and modellers so I can either use the pre on the pedal and the power amp in the head or the amp pre and just effects - can be a really flexible way of working.   

But it as I understand it most of the soldano heads have the loop in an odd place that means it only works with effects that can handle the signal levels.   That’s fine for just having effects in the loop but how about mixing and matching with modellers - is the effects return clean enough or do they not mix well and stick to effects?   
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71953
    If there’s a level problem it will be the other way round - that the modeller may  distort when being used just for effects,  and may not provide enough level to drive the amp fully when being used as a preamp.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    ICBM said:
    If there’s a level problem it will be the other way round - that the modeller may  distort when being used just for effects,  and may not provide enough level to drive the amp fully when being used as a preamp.
    Thanks for that.    The ax8 has a hefty output level available and plenty of options for attenuating the input so I assume that won’t be a problem.  I was thinking the position of the loop might give extra clipping and drive but spunds like that’s not a problem.  

Might have been easier for my wallet if you said it would be a problem at the amp end though.  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71953
    Some of the distortion does come from after the loop normally, but it won’t be a problem (other than for your wallet!) if you keep the output level of the modeller down.

If you want to protect your wallet just buy a Jet City...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• tekbowtekbow Frets: 1686
    The Soldano loop is line level (can actually run up to +6db) and placed before the tone stack.

Made sense at the time it was designed for hot rackmount gear, and he claimed the tone stack could then compensate for for whatever effect the rack gear had on the tone.

Personally I never had an issue with it, my strymon delay plays happily with it. I guess the tone stack will effect the delay repeats cumulatively because of where it is.

A good tech can move it easily enough apparently. It was one of the last mods Mike offered before the merger. I think the forthcoming BAD SLO is going to have a post EQ, pedal level loop in it.