Well, Interface arrived.

What's Hot
tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
edited February 2019 in Studio & Recording
Now I gotta learn how to use it and a DAW. Well.. a DAW more complicated than audacity. Cubase L.E. came with the Audient, plus I have Cakewalk installed too.

Spent most of the free time I had today installing software. Haven't had the nuts to turn the amp on yet. The cab is away getting re-vinyled and granted the Reload doesn't require the cab to be connected, but still feels weird powering up an amp without a cab in the room.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited February 2019
    Good choice of interface, just ditch Cubase LE unless you see yourself upgrading to the full version at some point. However, now could be a good time to have a look at Reaper 
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    Freebird said:
    Good choice of interface, just ditch Cubase LE unless you see yourself upgrading to the full version at some point. However, now could be a good time to have a look at Reaper 
    Is there a free lite version of it?
    edited February 2019
    tekbow said:
    Freebird said:
    The full version is free until you register it, which removes the 5 sec nag screen, and supports the developers ($60).

https://www.reaper.fm/download.php

Tutorial videos here..

https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2019
    Freebird said:
    tekbow said:
    Freebird said:
    The full version is free until you register it.
    Time limited trial?

Edit: cool, I'll take a look, cheers!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    Best $60 you will ever spend.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2019
    tekbow said:
    Time limited trial?

No it will keep on working for as long as you want it too. If you are going to register it, wait until v6.0 drops (soon), and then you will be covered until v8.0, which will be quite a few years away. I have total respect for what Reaper do, and the business model they use. There is no hard-sell, and they don't hit you for upgrades all the time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Freebird said:
    tekbow said:
    Freebird said:
    tekbow said:
    Freebird said:
    The full version is free until you register it.
    Time limited trial?

No it will keep on working for as long as you want it too. If you are going to register it, wait until v6.0 drops (soon), and then you will be covered until v8.0, which will be quite a few years away. I have total respect for what Reaper do, and the business model they use. There is no hard-sell, and they don't hit you for upgrades all the time.
    Excellent, thanks again :)
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Oh, nice that there's some connections in front of the id44 - my one niggle with the 22 is that the main outs, power, usb and headphone jack are all in the back right, so it gets a bit tangled there.
    edited February 2019
    I nearly bought an iD44, but I needed coax SPDIF for my Kemper, so I went with the SPL Crimson.
    Cirrus said:
    Oh, nice that there's some connections in front of the id44 - my one niggle with the 22 is that the main outs, power, usb and headphone jack are all in the back right, so it gets a bit tangled there.
    Yeah there's 2 JFET instrument inputs on the left, and 2 headphone outs on the right
    Freebird said:
    I nearly bought an iD44, but I needed coax SPDIF for my Kemper, so I went with the SPL Crimson.
    The SPL was just a little too much of a stretch cost wise. I hear great things about it though.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Very swanky! Good luck with learning a DAW, that requires a fair amount of patience and determination!
    Branshen said:
    Very swanky! Good luck with learning a DAW, that requires a fair amount of patience and determination!
    Well.. reaper seems to have been a good recommendation.. I managed to get a couple of experiments recorded, and even replayed back to the amp with a bit of half arsed fiddling today, which is more than I could do with Cakewalk or Cubase in a similar amount of time.

Wasn't quite able to figure out how to output the post Wall of Sound signal to my headphones though. But small encouraging steps.
    tekbow said:
    Well.. reaper seems to have been a good recommendation.. I managed to get a couple of experiments recorded, and even replayed back to the amp with a bit of half arsed fiddling today, which is more than I could do with Cakewalk or Cubase in a similar amount of time.
    There are plenty of useful Reaper videos in the link above, have fun!
    tekbow said:
    Wasn't quite able to figure out how to output the post Wall of Sound signal to my headphones though. But small encouraging steps.

Freebird said:
    tekbow said:

Ah, excellent. Won't be able to have a go until Sunday, but that makes sense. Also have to study up on the Audient output matrix.
    edited February 2019
    Freebird said:
    tekbow said:

Success!

Got up early and had a go.

I was able to hear and record the DI from the Reload into Mic/Line in 1 plus a delay/wet signal from the slave out via a Strymon Brig mono to stereo split into line ins 3 and 4, all run thru the Wall of Sound cab IR's.

I mean, it's not very refined sounding yet, and I need to read up on how to set up levels properly etc, but it sounded 100x better than anything I managed before.

I think I shall pay the $60 For Reaper.

Cheers for the help everyone.
    edited February 2019
    tekbow said:
    Success!

Got up early and had a go.

I was able to hear and record the DI from the Reload into Mic/Line in 1 plus a delay/wet signal from the slave out via a Strymon Brig mono to stereo split into line ins 3 and 4, all run thru the Wall of Sound cab IR's.

I mean, it's not very refined sounding yet, and I need to read up on how to set up levels properly etc, but it sounded 100x better than anything I managed before.

I think I shall pay the $60 For Reaper.

Cheers for the help everyone.
    Well done!

Regarding levels, I would recommend looking into gain staging. I have previously posted some video on the topic. They are a bit dry (academic), but an excellent resource.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/114133/in-the-box
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    With 24bit ADC's you can comfortably record at -12db.
    You don't have to push into redlining these days.
    edited February 2019
    octatonic said:
    With 24bit ADC's you can comfortably record at -12db.
    You don't have to push into redlining these days.
    I don't know if we are talking about the same thing here, but I always run the audio signal through the DAW at around 0VU = -18dBFS as this seems to be the level where many plugins are calibrated. In short, I try to ensure that every plugin receives this value at the input, and I also adjust the output levels accordingly.

https://klanghelm.com/images/VUMT/VUMT-1-duo-full.jpg
    Https://postproduciendoenlaeav.files.wordpress.com/2017/10/reference-levels.png