Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

PRS S2 Singlecut Satin vs Yamaha Revstar RS820CR vs Chapman ML3 Modern?

What's Hot

What's your thoughts on the relative merits or otherwise of these 3 guitars?

I'm toying with getting a dual humbucker guitar for around a £1K or less:

• S2 Singlecut Satin - I like the satin finish an colour of the sunburst
  • Chapman ML3 Modern - SS jumbo frets appeal, the headstock not so
  • Revstar RS820CR - nice looks, jumbo frets

Any other to consider? PRS S2 Mira, Gibson SG, any others? The 2019 Gibson SG looks good but spec shows low frets which I don't like the sound of as I like 6100 jumbos.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I’m not sure the frets on an S2 will be hefty enough for you. They’re not as low as an SE PRS, but they don’t feel like jumbos to me either. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    I have a (non-Satin) S2 Singlecut that previously belonged to rockmonster and one other of this parish. Plays very nicely.

I cannot comment on how the stock G&B-made #7 humbuckers sound in the S2 Singlecut because I have only ever played it with the OCP Winterizer II Firebird-alikes.

In a Fakai SG, the #7 humbuckers sound fine.

I have nothing against G&B pickups. The pair in my S2 Vela sound excellent. 

For your stated budget, an LTD EC-401 is worth investigating. On variants with EMG active pickups, I would replace the ubiquitous -81/-60 pair with their equivalent X versions. Other options include the EMG-HET set, the new Hamett set, Duncan Blackouts or Fishman Fluence.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14218
    edited February 2019 tFB Trader
    I've not played the Chapman so can't give an honest opinion

Revstar's are well built, but I'm not a fan of the feel/vibe - Obviously just an opinion on the feel and not the build quality - I do feel the frets are less high and rounded than a PRS

I'd be more up for the PRS - Frets are bigger and nicely contoured

The Yamaha and PRS to me are less 'stereo type' of a guitar style in that both guitars somehow come across as a guitar that will work in any musical environment - To me the Chapman is more  about speed and hi-gain fast rock (probably will do other styles but that is the vibe it sells to me)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17601
    tFB Trader
    I've played a few Revstars and they are really nice guitars I'd happily have one.

Everyone I know who has played a Chapman has lamented how heavy they are.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446

I've got the PRS.  It's a great guitar.  The Satin neck feels great.

I've played a RevStar (not sure of the exact model) and didn't like it.  It was very heavy.

Not played the Chapman, but the high output Ceramic pickups might not be all that versatile.   Fretboard radius is 14" or thereabouts.  That wouldn't be to my taste.

• The Chapman never tried so can't comment, I have the feel that the PRS is a stereotype guitar and for me the Yamaha 520 I have feels amazing and works for me and there are some amazing secondhand deals on them
  • I like the Revstar- the lower models aren't great, but the higher ones are well made. 
    Something about the Chapman range just doesn't "do" it for me. 
    I don't think I've ever played a PRS, but the only criticism I've heard it's that they can lack the X-factor... But that's up to personal opinion. I like Alter Bridge & those guys get some great noises from PRS guitars .

Have you considered a Shiflett Tele? It's a great & versatile rock guitar. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    I’ve had an S2 Vela and Standard satin 24, for the price they are excellent guitars. Would happily have another. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983

What's your thoughts on the relative merits or otherwise of these 3 guitars?

I'm toying with getting a dual humbucker guitar for around a £1K or less:

• S2 Singlecut Satin - I like the satin finish an colour of the sunburst

Any other to consider?

Have been looking at those as well. Very nice looking guitars and the satin looks great to me too.

As for alternatives, did you have a look at what Musicman has to offer?
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    PRS - the rest is just a bit meh !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2934

Any other to consider? PRS S2 Mira, Gibson SG, any others? 

Reverend Sensei? And if you like it, also worth comparing the humbucker and railhammer versions.
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1286
    grungebob said:
    I’ve had an S2 Vela and Standard satin 24, for the price they are excellent guitars. Would happily have another. 
    Can only second that. S2 are great for the money, in fact, my standard 24 satin played better than some core models I owned in the past. Also build quality is flawless. Pretty sure @welshboyo can chime in on this too.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    I was seriously tempted by an S2 i saw. Cracking looking guitar. It would be a no brainer for me.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815
    KrisGee said:
    grungebob said:
    Can only second that. S2 are great for the money, in fact, my standard 24 satin played better than some core models I owned in the past. Also build quality is flawless. Pretty sure @welshboyo can chime in on this too.
    Yep, I have Kris's S2 Standard and it's a cracking guitar, plays and feels just as good as my 90 CU24, in fact for me with the coil taps it might actually be a bit more versatile too..

I am thinking of selling it purely for the reason that I have too much gear at the moment (no such I hear you say!!)
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4695
    My Yamaha experience is that they’re good guitars but certainly the P90 models need a bit of work to get them right.  Nothing serious but nuts and fret ends seem a bit variable.
      You should also consider a PRS Vela as they are brilliantly made and just a bit different.  Everyone who tries mine is taken aback by how good it is.  In fact, most PRS guitars surprise by their goodness.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • For what it’s worth, the QC on my S2 Vela is better than my Gibson or AmPro Fender, despite it costing far less. They seem a more consistent choice, in terms of build quality, than most other brands - very helpful if you buy online.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    My S2 Vela used to be a shed. Some say that it still is. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    KrisGee said:
    grungebob said:
    I've owned 6 "Core" models in the past.  The only PRS I have left is an S2 Satin Singlecut.  I prefer it to any of them.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I’d be looking at used Ibanez Artists & Yamaha SG’s. Maybe an SG700 or Ibanez AR350? Both are a lot of guitar for the money. You might have to factor in a fret dress or even refret though. 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13939
    edited February 2019
    Is the uplift for the Japanese made Revstar RSP820CR worth it over the RS820CR? I see from specs that it seems to only differ with IRA treatment, whatever that is and copper vs aluminium pickguard.

Is there some kind of paramilitary connection? 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom