Do you wish HX Effects had amp models? Might be worth a look in here.

What's Hot
rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2440
So just been messing around with some stuff on HX FX and made a startling discovery. Well,  not that startling. I knew it would work but hadn't tried it yet and didn't know how well. 

I put the Teemah model into the Allure pack Cali V30 IR. Well, it sounds brilliant. Bit of talent (reverb/ delay) and some other goodies in there and you're good to go with your new ampish loaded HX FX. You're welcome. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I really do wish it had amp models, like the format so much better than stomp, if it did I’d have a rack for home, HX for gigs and stomp for lazy rehearsals :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    edited February 2019
    So just been messing around with some stuff on HX FX and made a startling discovery. Well,  not that startling. I knew it would work but hadn't tried it yet and didn't know how well. 

I put the Teemah model into the Allure pack Cali V30 IR. Well, it sounds brilliant. Bit of talent (reverb/ delay) and some other goodies in there and you're good to go with your new ampish loaded HX FX. You're welcome. 
    Interesting. 
    I’ve been experimenting with the Obsidian pedal, as it’s based on a preamp pedal and with a couple of drives.
    OCD with a TS boosting it. I got a quite nice ‘emergency metal’ tone for if my amp died. 

That’s also using the Ownhammer Mesa 4x12 V30 IR
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2583
    Neither here nor there but I use it with a Joyo American Sound. Does everything I need.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • So, I don't know if this is getting needlessly philosophical but...do we need amp modelling at all then? What is amp modelling really? And is it doing anything that your basic distortion pedal hasn't been doing for decades?

Inspired by this thread I switched off the amp modelling in mt GSP1101 and instead scrolled through the various distortion pedal models and they sounded really good. I would need to try this out properly but I think it sounded more natural and 'real' than the amp modelling. I was running this into a cab via a power amp but as Ross did above I guess you could just run this into a modelled cab or IR and you are good to go for FRFR or recording.

It made me think of the below video where Ola runs the Metal Zone into the FX return of his amp, as opposed to the guitar input. The Death Metal model in my GSP1101 sounds bloody brilliant into the FX return of my TH30! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxRe99Tjlwg&t=401s
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    Can we get the gain channel from amps in there? I've been messing with IR's but that's just speaker AFAIK.
    BTW, I love the Hedgehog D9, a pedal I would never have tried in real life because I always thought it was a tubescreamer clone. The D9 going into the right IR (forgot which one I'm using) sounds good to me.
  • My bass rig is a Stomp, with the Obsidian straight into the Helix 8x10 cab sim (plus a few FX). I've been experimenting with a split signal and and another bass pre amp but I'm wondering if a HX effects would suit me better. Obsidian straight into an IR. I'd then have more blocks and footswitches available.
  • So how do you load IRs in the HX effects? Just the same as with the Helix? And then just use them as standard blocks?
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    So how do you load IRs in the HX effects? Just the same as with the Helix? And then just use them as standard blocks?
    There's an ir block. You can then load your favourite ir in it. Do it through the desktop app. 
  • I need to try the IRs.ive been toying with upgrading to the LT. 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• This thread has made me realise I'm confused about power amp modelling. The HD500 had the option of using pre-amp only models, as well as the normal amp models which presumably also modelled a power amp of some kind...so in theory it should sound best to use the pre-amp only models if using the unit into the fx return of an amp...but it didn't. I always used the standard models. I read that the pre-amp only ones were really there to cater for the 'dream rig' configuration when using the HD500 into a DT amp...so I never really bothered with them much.

The GSP1101 doesn't have that option, so presumably a power amp is always being modelled...so that should not be optimal into the fx return of an amp. But that's how most people seem to think it sounds best.

Now there's this stuff about using modelled pedals as full pre-amps. Obviously no power amp modelling going on there. So, should that sound good into an IR for FRFR or recording? It seems to.

Is all the marketing stuff about modelling the whole signal chain really true? 

I'm so confused. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • This thread has made me realise I'm confused about power amp modelling. The HD500 had the option of using pre-amp only models, as well as the normal amp models which presumably also modelled a power amp of some kind...so in theory it should sound best to use the pre-amp only models if using the unit into the fx return of an amp...but it didn't. I always used the standard models. I read that the pre-amp only ones were really there to cater for the 'dream rig' configuration when using the HD500 into a DT amp...so I never really bothered with them much.

The GSP1101 doesn't have that option, so presumably a power amp is always being modelled...so that should not be optimal into the fx return of an amp. But that's how most people seem to think it sounds best.

Now there's this stuff about using modelled pedals as full pre-amps. Obviously no power amp modelling going on there. So, should that sound good into an IR for FRFR or recording? It seems to.

Don’t be confused. Just got in from a gig and my bed is calling but will try and explain in the morning. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

I've been messing around with my long-abandoned HD500 recently into the FX return of my tiny Joyo Bantamp Zombie amp. And it sounds pretty good through my HB Vintage 212. But I also tried the pre versions of the amps while doing and this and on the whole they sounded a bit iffy, I definitely preferred the full versions of the amp sims through my amp with cab-sim turned off compared to using the pre models. And that's even with the power amp controls dialled low on the full amp sims.

• Yeah, I guess they sound better through a DT amp but I didn't have much luck with them either. I can't remember if those pre-amp only versions are also in the Helix...I think they might be but I might be mis-remembering.

What is the actual difference between a model of a high gain amp and the model of a high gain pedal in the Helix or GSP1101 or whatever...is it just that one is tuned to make it sound like a particular amp? If a modelling amp is played in a forest and nobody is there to say it is an amp or a pedal...is there a difference :)
  • Yeah, I guess they sound better through a DT amp but I didn't have much luck with them either. I can't remember if those pre-amp only versions are also in the Helix...I think they might be but I might be mis-remembering.

What is the actual difference between a model of a high gain amp and the model of a high gain pedal in the Helix or GSP1101 or whatever...is it just that one is tuned to make it sound like a particular amp? If a modelling amp is played in a forest and nobody is there to say it is an amp or a pedal...is there a difference :)
    Interesting question.

I just fired up the HD500 into the FX return of my amp and tried this out. I loaded up a high gain patch I'd made recently with the ENGL amp. I replaced the amp with the various onboard distortion boxes and they sounded pretty great after a little tweaking. I suppose in this kind of situation there isn't really much difference between a pre-amp sim and a dirt-pedal sim other than the latter has way fewer controls - though that's not necessarily a bad thing. 

• That’s good to know, I got a HX last week and to have an emergency ‘get to the end of the gig’ patch will be of great reassurance. On a slight tangent I’m surprised there’s not a decent high gain pedal in the HX like a be-od, riot, bogner red etc... otherwise I’m blown away by it, sold all my pedals apart from a germanium fuzz and treble booster.