Gassing hard for an Xotic XTC1 Tele

What's Hot
Has anyone tried the new Xotic Teles yet? If so, are they awesome? Peach Guitars is about 4 hours drive away so I've yet to try one.

Currently have an SVL Tele, which is great, but these Xotics are mega light and I love the look of the roasted maple necks with maple board.

They're pretty pricey and it's a long old trek, so would appreciate any feedback if anyone's checked them out. Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2178
    They do look pretty great. As do the Patrick James Eggle Oz teles. 

I haven't tried either but considering making the trip. 
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9166
    I played the strats and wasn’t wowed. They’re custom shop money with the wrong headstock so unless you really love their pickups, I can’t see the value personally.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2329
    'They're pricey' - until you buy it then they'll be worth less than half what you've paid. Your SVL on the other hand will have a decent resale price. Xotic are better known for pedals than guitars here, Is light so desirable, not sure it always makes for a great guitar when it comes to Tele's.
  • I have one of the Strat styles and it's excellent
  • rossirossi Frets: 1698
    A bloke called Fender does a decent Tele copy .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • tsj93tsj93 Frets: 49
    rossi said:
    Not anymore, he's dead
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1698
    tsj93 said:
    rossi said:
    Not anymore, he's dead
    i hear his little elf helpers still make them .
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lol. I’m aware of all the “why don’t you just get a Fender” arguments but having owned loads of custom shop Fenders I’ve found they’re mostly quite heavy, often need pickup upgrades, better hardware and never quite have the playability I’m after. Having a shit hot working instrument that’s light, stays in tune, has locking tuners and great playability and pickups is way more appealing to me than putting up with a mediocre guitar because it has Fender written on the headstock! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Fishboy7 said:

I’ve picked up a PJG oz tele. Very impressed so far. Lovely neck. 
    Lol. I’m aware of all the “why don’t you just get a Fender” arguments but having owned loads of custom shop Fenders I’ve found they’re mostly quite heavy, often need pickup upgrades, better hardware and never quite have the playability I’m after. Having a shit hot working instrument that’s light, stays in tune, has locking tuners and great playability and pickups is way more appealing to me than putting up with a mediocre guitar because it has Fender written on the headstock! 
    My nocaster is 7lbs dead and I have a 7lb 4oz strat and had a 6lb 1 oz tele custom in the past. How light do you want?

As for pickups, each to their own, but I’ve had various boutique tele pickups and probably only Klein have been as good/better than custom shop handwounds. Nocaster, cs67 and the broadcaster/twisted tele combo are the best pickups anyone makes in my view. Nobody has the money Fender has for r&d or the knowledge that came with making the golden age originals
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Has anyone tried the new Xotic Teles yet? If so, are they awesome?
    Yes. Yes. :)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22515
    kjdowd said:
    Fishboy7 said:

I’ve picked up a PJG oz tele. Very impressed so far. Lovely neck. 
    What is the neck profile?  They describe it as a soft V, but is it a big soft V or a small one?  Fantastic looking guitars.
  • chris78 said:
    Lol. I’m aware of all the “why don’t you just get a Fender” arguments but having owned loads of custom shop Fenders I’ve found they’re mostly quite heavy, often need pickup upgrades, better hardware and never quite have the playability I’m after. Having a shit hot working instrument that’s light, stays in tune, has locking tuners and great playability and pickups is way more appealing to me than putting up with a mediocre guitar because it has Fender written on the headstock! 
    My nocaster is 7lbs dead and I have a 7lb 4oz strat and had a 6lb 1 oz tele custom in the past. How light do you want?

As for pickups, each to their own, but I’ve had various boutique tele pickups and probably only Klein have been as good/better than custom shop handwounds. Nocaster, cs67 and the broadcaster/twisted tele combo are the best pickups anyone makes in my view. Nobody has the money Fender has for r&d or the knowledge that came with making the golden age originals
    Fender make some great gear and more importantly came up with all the ideas in the first place! But for the money of a CS team built Tele there are plenty of builders offering better quality instruments. Companies like Callaham have tweaked the hardware designs to offer improved intonation and tuning stability. Xotic and Novo et al have pushed the roasted tonewoods thing to create more stable and resonant bodies and necks (and the flamed maple necks look amazing if that's your sort of thing). To my ears Lollar, Amalfitano, Rocketfire pickups etc sound fuller, cut through the mix better and have more harmonic and dynamic range. Yes I've played some Fenders that were lovely and light and resonant and played well, but I've also played some really heavy duds that were £2.5K+ guitars! They're not very consistent compared to a lot of smaller builders that need to churn out reliably great guitars to compete. I owned 5 different Fender Strats before I eventually found a keeper. I can't be bothered to do that with Teles as well! That said, I appreciate that it's completely subjective, and the 'boutique' thing is not for everyone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @WillEdmunds it’d be boring if we all liked the same gear!
    FWIW, I think the custom shop is putting out better more consistent guitars in recent years. 5 or so years ago, the consistency wasn’t there.
  • I think just buy what you want!

If Xotic is more appealing, then you should get it, I do see the appeal of them, this is coming from a CS strat owner. 

Have you looked at the post modern fenders? I think they’ve just changed the radius to 12inch and 22 frets but they used to be 9.5-12inch and have 21 frets. I’d really like one of them. 
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2178
    I have just acquired an xtc1 and (in Esquire configuration).  The neck is incredible 'mastergrade roasted maple', lovely ash body under semi transparent white/blonde and weighs just 6lb 2oz.

I definitely prefer it to the few cs teles I've owned but at this level its pretty much down to taste/preference.