Ac15 or 50w jmp

What's Hot
billandobillando Frets: 26
I have a gig in a bar tomoro unmiced for probably 100 people. I can't decide what amp to use. Would you rather use vox ac15 with alnico blue cranked or jmp 50w 2104 at 3 out of 10? Don't need clean headroom. I know the vox would be loud enough but maybe it wouldn't cut through enough. I know the jmp sounds great but might be too choked at low volume. What would you do for classic rock not too heavy gain? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72256
    edited February 2019
    Marshall. It's better to have more power than you need and a big tone, and turn it down a bit if you need to, than to have too little and struggle with an overcompressed mush.

I had an AC15TBX and it was never loud enough to get a full tone at enough volume to gig with, and I don't play all that loud.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • You always hear people want to get their amps loud as possible to get the power tubes distorting. In master volume amps do you think this is not desirable as it will turn to mush and be lost in the mix? In my jmp I hear a noticeable difference at volume 5. It seems to open up. This sounds nice but at 10 it is too mushy. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just a bit concerned it will be too thin at volume 3 in band context. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72256
    billando said:
    Just a bit concerned it will be too thin at volume 3 in band context. 
    EQ it for the volume you play at.

It’s great to have exactly the amount of power you need, but if that’s not possible it’s always better to have more power than you need than less than you need.

What turns the sound to mush is pushing an underpowered amp too hard.

Turn the Marshall up to 5 and point it somewhere else than straight out into the crowd... if it’s still too loud turn it down and turn the bass up.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31523
    I've been playing a 2104 at home and it still sounds fantastic compared to a boxy little 15w 1x12.

There's a depth and beefiness you'll never get out of the Vox unmiced with 100 people in the room. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    If it sounds thin use a boost or EQ pedal to fatten up a touch. 
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1596
    Why are both not an option?
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    JMP. And use the guitar controls. 
    Too much power is just right (Caroll Shelby).

Actually get a good sound and play with the dynamics, you cant do that with that vox.
  • Ac15 are pretty special-use amps. I have one, and love it to death because it has that sound that I like, sort of twinkly but grindy, bright without tons of boomy bass. Great for slightly-dirty cleanish arpeggios and moody stuff with a reverb and delay in front to mush things up. 

A jmp will sort of do some of that but a whole lot more with tons more power and a robust bass. 

I'd still have the vox as first choice but I think the jmp is objectively better.