Variations on 'Layla' - Bill Connors

What's Hot
jdgmjdgm Frets: 850
edited February 2019 in Music
Do NOT press 'play' unless you like screaming fusion guitar solos -

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    I liked some of his earlier stuff, but that is really not doing it for me. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 850
    Ah! But you have the flexidisc!!!!!
    I did tape it years ago....... ;)
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Fusion wank of the worst sort and I love fusion. Bill was great in Return to Forever. His later solo albums were OK.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    Bill kind of divides a lot of opinions.
    Seems he gets accused of ripping off Holdsworth, I get it, but Connors is very listenable here, a lot of Alans stuff isn't.
    Personally ,I love this track-wish there was a higher quality version available, but FFS, it came on a piece of cellophane in a magazine!!!!.
    I think i wore my version out a long time ago-trying to hear what he gets up to in the last third of this track--still cant figure it out.
    The section after the repetitive lick--just goes mental across the fretboard, and perfectly suits the story of the song, he explained it all in the interview in the magazine, and when he hits the last note, which feeds back, he said he couldn't get it any better.
    Still sounds incredible, and maybe one day, we will get a better mix of it--maybe not.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 850
    edited February 2019
    At that time (late 80s) he returned to electric guitar after 3 acoustic albums for ECM. There was a definite Holdsworth-ness to the music he played on "Step It", "Double Up", and "Assembler" (Holdsworth himself wasn't impressed) but I loved it, especially "Step It" with Dave Weckl and Tom Kennedy, produced by Steve Khan. 
    However he once again faded from view until 2005 when he returned with an album called...."Return".  On that CD he plays with a more conventional clean jazz tone.
    I still really like this track.
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    I had Assembler on CD and I liked it at the time. I think I remember Holdsworth referring to him turning into a 'who do you do?' guy, which I think means he thought he had become a copycat, presumably of him. 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    Lodious said:
    I had Assembler on CD and I liked it at the time. I think I remember Holdsworth referring to him turning into a 'who do you do?' guy, which I think means he thought he had become a copycat, presumably of him. 
    I remember that Holdsworth interview, iirc he wasn't impressed, but then I don't think he realised just How influential he was to other guitarists