Best/easiest way to record acoustic?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2410
    I spent years being frustrated with the recorded sound of my acoustic guitar playing. I blamed the mic, I blamed the room, I blamed all sorts of things, but for some reason it took me ages to twig that the reason it didn't sound like I wanted it to was that I wasn't making the sound I thought I was making in the first place. Once you've figured out how to do that I actually don't think acoustic guitar is that hard to record (try getting a good piano sound in your living room!), and you can certainly get a decent enough sound with a 57 placed somewhere fairly close.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ^ I agree - I didn’t realise there were so many Abbey Road engineers on this forum.  

@octatonic ‘s first post knocks the nail on the head. 

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    An sm57 isn't ideal for recording acoustic I'm afraid to say. 
    On the other hand, it won't stop a good song being good. Exhibit A;

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Thank you to you all for your help and advice. I may be cutting my nose off to spite my face but I really don't want to install a pick up system so mic'ing is the way to go for me.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    Tascam DP-03SD 8 track recorder ordered, I'm looking forward to getting a few ideas down. Can anyone recommend a decent set of budget speakers please?
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2410
    I was doing a recording session today and needed a mic for a guide vocal. I grabbed the SM57 that was top of the pile. The singer sounded WAY better on it than she does on any condenser mic I've tried.
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    Just use the 57 mate, when you've got a 100 squid or so to upgrade do it then.
    wave100 said:
    Just use the 57 mate, when you've got a 100 squid or so to upgrade do it then.
    Will do, no harm in experimenting until I can get a decent condenser microphone. Saying that, my new 8 track has built in condenser microphones, I wonder what they'll be like to record with? Obviously not as good as a decent stand alone microphone but worth a shot.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Be happy with the 57, it's a great utility mic. And I wasn't joking with my last post. The acoustic in Fake Plastic Trees is entirely SM57, confirmed by the guy who recorded it - there was also a condenser mic up, but it crapped out shortly after the start of the performance. The performance was great, the SM57 sounded just fine, so they moved on.

And personally, I wouldn't "upgrade" it for a £100 condenser. It will be brighter and seem more detailed, but cheap condensers aren't the thing. And £100 is cheap for a condenser. It's much more expensive to make a condenser mic full stop, let alone design and build one that doesn't have problems. A dynamic mic, by contrast, is much simpler.

To give an example, I have a couple of more expensive dynamics - SM7b & RE20 - and I prefer the sound of both to any condenser I've heard in the sub-£500 range on most things.
  • Hick81Hick81 Frets: 122
    The Shure sm57 will be fine. It’s a good all rounder and ideal for a bedroom studio set up. If you are just starting out, get a decent affordable set up as suggested by others and learn to use the gear. Over time you’ll get better and understand how to get a decent sound out of what you’ve got. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    Steve Albini has this to say about them:

“Piece of shit dynamic mic some people are inexplicably crazy about, so we bought one. Sounds equivalently good on everything from snare drum to electric guitar. Unfortunately, not a very high standard of “Good.” If you need to record something and there’s no microphone available, this will do, I guess.”
  • Hick81Hick81 Frets: 122
    Plus Bruce Springsteen used a couple of SM57’s to record Nebraska. So there you go...

https://tascam.com/us/support/news/481