Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

For those old enough..........T.REX or SLADE ?

What's Hot

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    edited February 2019
    Slade alive was a big influence on me. I bought a used copy off my school chum. 
    Lots of good bands have been mentioned, sweet and even the rubettes did lots of great stuff and lasted for decades as working units. 
    I feel I should mention pilot too, superb guitar work.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4169
    ESBlonde said:

It's now February so too late for that.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Although I’m too young to have been contemporary to these guys I’m a fan of both. However, Slade were a great rock band who got heavier and were more diverse than Bolan.
    I recently got a box set of the first 5 Tyrannosaurus Rex/T Rex albums and...er...they’re pretty dire tbh. Acoustic ramblings about elves and cloaks and fairy folk with spoken word poems read by John Peel. Bolan didn’t hit his stride until Electric Warrior which was his sixth album. Then, sadly, his work declined pretty quickly. I would say T Rex had a run of brilliant singles for a couple of years, but Slade were a quality live band who made decent albums.
    But Chicory Tip were better than both. (I’m kidding)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    JAYJO said:
    Who was it that did Tiger Feet?
    Think that was Mud.
    That's right that's right that's right that's right
        LOL!         That's Neat That's Neat That's Neat That's Neat....
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16079
    DB1 said:
    I've got to bring Wizzard into this. Ball Park Incident, See My Baby Jive, I wish It Could Be Christmas, Angel Fingers - classics to my young ears. Actually, classics to my much older ears these days.
    Yes,brilliant .........I saw wizard about 15 years ago ,still great and Roy was still rocking' it
    I was a big fan of The Move too
    I think Roy was originally the instigator of ELO with Jeff Lynne and they fell out very early on ; a great band would have been even greater.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    my first album...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

@p90fool ;
    i watched that Bowie early years and saw it as someone learning and experimenting in an era where record contracts were handed out to fledgling bands and artists as loads of labels got caught with their pants down and needed to sign young artists. Much of what was embryonic in that early stuff was channeled in to his big success simply more refined and focussed.

that said my mate went to school with him and I asked him did he stand out back then and he said nope totally unremarkable so obviously took a while to find his stride
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11287
    Philtre said:
    ESBlonde said:

It's now February so too late for that.
    No, it's okay. It's magic.

(which has a brilliant intro)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • T Rex easily, though Bowie was best.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    Slade How Does it Fell one of the best songs ever
    It's a treemendous song  :)
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    edited February 2019
    p90fool said:
    Bowie is not even in the running. I watched a documentary about his early years the other night, and if you've ever wondered why he's the only superstar living or dead who's never had his back catalogue plundered, remastered and re-released you should watch it.

He was unutterably shit, and would perform any terrible old hokum you can imagine. His only goal was fame within any niche he could carve, without the slightest interest in actual quality. 

I agree Bowie's early work (laughing gnome period) was utter shite.
    Some artists take time to find themselves.
    Was he careerist? Yes, of course- but no less than Jagger or Lennon.

Space Oddity to Hunky Dory to Ziggy to Thin White Duke periods were all amazing though.
    He surrounded himself with great players as well and gave a lot of unknown players a platform.

I even don't mind some of the Tin Machine and electronic period work.
    Blackstar is probably the best final album of any artist I can think of.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12346
    MtB said:

Apparently Slade's Merry Christmas Everybody is the most listened to record in the world, and earns the band over £500,000 every year in royalties. 
    Not “the band”, it was mentioned on the radio the other day that only Noddy Holder and Jim Lea get any royalties from Merry Xmas. Which is presumably why Dave Hill still plods on with his version of pseudo-Slade. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72237
    octatonic said:

I would say Queen’s Innuendo is better.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    octatonic said:

I would say Queen’s Innuendo is better.
    I like it but it is a bit cheesy in places.
  • Blackstar is probably the best final album of any artist I can think of. 

And thats why the loss of Bowie is all the sadder for me as much as some of Tin machine and experimental stuff did not reach me. 

I always felt he had more to say and think if his body had not given out we may well have seen a great 2nd coming I always thought he knew when he needed to be commercial and accessible then he could go back to tinkering around his more fringe activities. 

A much missed artist

And thats why the loss of Bowie is all the sadder for me as much as some of Tin machine and experimental stuff did not reach me. 

I always felt he had more to say and think if his body had not given out we may well have seen a great 2nd coming I always thought he knew when he needed to be commercial and accessible then he could go back to tinkering around his more fringe activities. 

A much missed artist

Indeed.
    What is slightly strange is I was born on his birthday- 8th January.
    He died on our wedding anniversary - 10th January.
    It is probably just a coincidence. :)
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    T-Rex although I'd go for the earlier incarnation. I recall playing pool with my best friend from school whilst listening to My People Were Fair and Had Sky in Their Hair... But Now They're Content to Wear Stars on Their Brows around 1970 - he was a Bolan nut who sadly died last year. Bolan was in a different league to Slade who were mainly a singles chart act - good singles mind but patchy albums.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • shrinkwrapshrinkwrap Frets: 512
    edited February 2019
    Bolan had star quality and came up with you’ve got a hub cap diamond star halo
    Blimey- just did a check on what was in the singles and album charts of 1971 - mostly terrifying.. but John Kongos' Step On and Dave and Ansel Collins.
    1971 must be the year I started hearing rock and prog and was never the same after.

• barry2tonebarry2tone Frets: 212
    edited February 2019

1971 must be the year I started hearing rock and prog and was never the same after.

February '71 saw the the release of the Yes Album, and my ears were perked by new musical winds.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9655
    octatonic said:
    p90fool said:
    Bowie is not even in the running. I watched a documentary about his early years the other night, and if you've ever wondered why he's the only superstar living or dead who's never had his back catalogue plundered, remastered and re-released you should watch it.

He was unutterably shit, and would perform any terrible old hokum you can imagine. His only goal was fame within any niche he could carve, without the slightest interest in actual quality. 

I agree Bowie's early work (laughing gnome period) was utter shite.
    Some artists take time to find themselves.
    Was he careerist? Yes, of course- but no less than Jagger or Lennon.

Space Oddity to Hunky Dory to Ziggy to Thin White Duke periods were all amazing though.
    He surrounded himself with great players as well and gave a lot of unknown players a platform.

I even don't mind some of the Tin Machine and electronic period work.
    I rather suspect that, without Mick Ronson’s input, Bowie would not have got as far as he did. For me it’s Ronson’s guitar work on Ziggy Stardust that elevated a good album into a great album.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it