Best Portable (compact) Multitrack Recorder with inbuilt Mics?

What should I be looking at?

I've got a decent interface for home recording and for location (or practice session) recording I've an old Tascam handheld recorder.

What I'm looking for is something portable, more modern, better inbuilt mics, but, also 2+ xlr/mic inputs for spot micing, all to be recorded as separate channels at the same time. It will mostly be used for recording acoustics and vocals, but, occasionally fiddle, squeezebox etc too. I'm not expecting a seperate channel per instrument, but, a good stereo presentation from the inbuilt mics would be good and the ability to add in a vocal mic, or pair of condensors to give better scope for mixing back home would be ideal.

Batteries would be good, though, in some instances it might also be run from the mains.

I'm not looking to do any mixing from this device, just record. Any processing and tidying up will be done on the computer at home.

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
    Thinking something along the lines of this...   https://tascam.com/us/product/dr-44wl/top

Though first hand experience or standout products that I might not be aware of would be ideal :)
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    Zoom h4 or h6 sounds suitable!
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    I have ordered one of these https://tascam.com/us/product/dp-03sd/top

it has just just about everything you've asked for.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • We use a tascam dr05 for rough live demos as the sound is great, can grab them cheap secondhand and it fits in a guitar bag easily. At home I use a tascam dp008. Can't mind if you can use the dp008 with inbuilt mics and the inputs all at the same time, but I think you might be able to. It's pretty small but bigger and less hardy than the dr05