What is your "Acoustic Repertoire"?

What's Hot

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    1952 Vincent came up on my iPod earlier. It is such an amazing song. Even as a strum along it would sound good.

If anyone is wondering what to buy me for my birthday a ticket to an RT guitar camp would be good... :)
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    The only thing that springs to mind that hasn't already been mentioned is Blackbird - Beatles.
    All practice and no theory
  • IanpdqIanpdq Frets: 131

Off the top of my head all these were in the set of my last acoustic duo...

Time like these - Foo Fighters
    The Boxer - Simon and Garkunkel
    Never Going back again - Fleetwood Mac
    Angie - Rolling stones
    Oliver's Army - Elvis Costello
    Come Up and See Me - Steve Harley and the Cockney Rebel
    Big Sur - RHCP
    I used to love her - Rolling Stones
    I feel fine - the Beatles
    Under the bridge - RHCP
    Living on a prayer - Bon jovi (they do a really nice acoustic version)
    Rhiannon - Fleetwood Mac
    Needle and the Damage Done - Niel Young
    Knocking on Heaven's Door - Bob Dylan
    Patience - G&R
    Californication - RHCP
    Mrs Robinson - Simon and Garfunkel
    Spider and the Fly - Rolling Stones
    Got me wrong - Alice in chains
    Love for sale - Bon Jovi
    More than words - Extreme
    People should smile more - Newton Faulkner
    Everybody hurts - REM
    Back to the old house - The smiths
    There she goes - The Las
    Wonderwall - Oasis
    Don't look back in Anger - Oasis
    Losing my religon - REM
    When love and hate collide - Def Leppard
    Father and Son - Cat Stevens
    Proud Mary - Steeler's Wheel
    Cat's in the cradle - Ugly kid Joe
    Nothing else matters - Metallica

As previous poster I would also highly recommend 1952 Vincent Black Lightning  - Richard Thompson, such a tune!

I used to love her - Rolling Stones I think it's called It's all over now from the High Tide Green Grass Album :)

• Do you guys sing along as well as play, or is it mainly just the guitar playing?
    Do you have videos/recordings? :)
    I sing along so it takes some of the focus off my playing.

And I play so that it takes some of the focus off my singing. 

Lead work is strictly limited to the odd single-note run between chords - more often than not in the wrong scale.
    Just remembered I spent weeks learning Love Of My Life by Queen on guitar after seeing Extreme do it at the Freddie Mercury tribute thing (and it was tabbed in GT a million years ago). If only I could sing the fucker. That and Hallelujah as performed by Jeff Buckley.
    Oh PS: Used To Love Her is a GnR song and a belter!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AuldReekieAuldReekie Frets: 196
    Not being a singer, my solo set is fingerpicked and using a variety of tunings (CGCGCD/DADGAD/DAAEAE) and as well as my own compositions, includes the following: - Si Beg, Si Mhor (trad) The Dark Island Kes Jig (trad) Home is where the heart is (Wolfstone) After the Goldrush Ramni Ceilidh (Gordon Duncan) Irene Meldrums welcome to Bon Accord (trad) Ghost Town/Song for Eva (Bill Frissell) Hector the Hero (Neil Gow) Going home (Local Hero theme tune) Ashokan Farewell The Seagull (trad) Over the Hillside/Saturday Night/Lets go out tonight (The Blue Nile) A few Irish jigs/reels Currently trying to put together an acoustic version on (the brilliant) Bill Nelson's "Beyond these clouds, the sweetest Dreams"
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    AuldReekie;224430" said:
    Over the Hillside/Saturday Night/Lets go out tonight (The Blue Nile)
    'Wow' duly awarded! Three of my favourite songs, off one of my favourite albums!
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    MonkeyBone - nice one with Wicked Game! Love it when people post "live action" videos lol... Regarding singing, did you get lessons?
    Teenage Dirtbag was also awesome lol..
    Jon - nice! Are you still doing these open mic nights a lot? What guitar is that?
  • AuldReekie;224430" said:
    Over the Hillside/Saturday Night/Lets go out tonight (The Blue Nile)
    'Wow' duly awarded! Three of my favourite songs, off one of my favourite albums!
    +1
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    digitalkettle;224483" said:
    +1
    And a 'Wow' for you also Mr Kettle for being a fellow Blue Nile fan....
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    This is my fave acoustic number to play, proving yet again that take that are fab. I just haven't managed to integrate the solo with the rhythm yet.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • MonkeyboneMonkeybone Frets: 261
    MonkeyBone - nice one with Wicked Game! Love it when people post "live action" videos lol... Regarding singing, did you get lessons?
    Jon - nice! Are you still doing these open mic nights a lot? What guitar is that?
    Nope, no lessons had. Teenage Dirtbag was kind of a necessity at the open mic night, mainly because I had a complete head fog on and couldn't rememeber what else I could play! I also played it at my solo gig purely for an upbeat song to play.

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    Unfortunately not mate. Would like to get back into doing some if I can. That's my Taylor Big Baby, which I'm now selling because I have the GS Mini and can't afford to keep both :( 
    So you prefer the GS Mini, huh?
    I need to get OUT there and do what you guys are doing. Started a band but it looks like it's already falling apart - why are musicians so flaky!?

Monkeybone, one of the things I find hardest is getting the timing right between vocals and what's happening on guitar - just practice, I guess!

viz - I've never seen that video - actually pretty cool!!
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582

50 Ways to leave your lover - Paul Simon
    Angie - Rolling Stones
    Tequila Sunrise - Eagles
    For You Blue - Beatles
    Girl - Beatles
    And I love Her - Beatles
    Across the Universe - Beatles
    Till there was you - (Beatles version)
    If Love was a train - Michelle Shocked
    More than Words - Extreem
    Dance with me - Orleans
    Better be home soon - Crowded house
    Fall at your feet - Crowded house
    Breaking us in two - Joe Jackson
    Party Girl - U2
    Nothing Ever happens - Del Amitri
    All Cried Out - Alison Moyet
    Stuck in the middle - Steelers wheel
    One horse town - Rembrandts

• dafuzz said:
    Oh PS: Used To Love Her is a GnR song and a belter!
    When he said Rolling Stones, he may have meant It's All Over Now - lyric being: "I used to love her...but it's all over now".

• RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6480
    edited April 2014
    Two songs I've been asked to learn for weddings this year that we ended up not playing (at their request, I should add...we didn't just NOT play them!)

Lianne La Havas - Age.   LOVELY jazzy guitar on this, played by La Havas herself. (You might want to change the lyrics/ gender ...unless you're into older men, in which case you won't need to!)

and

Jamiroquai - You Give Me Something. Yes, I know it's NOT an acoustic tune, and it's very production heavy, but researching it on YouTube for arrangement ideas, I found some lovely acoustic/ almost bossa nova versions, and it lends itself nicely to acoustic. Chords Dmaj7 - Bm7 - Gmaj7 - Bm7...that's all there is to it, but it sounds quite impressive.
    Good luck fitting all those words in, mind...

Again - to those with these massive song lists - do you sing them , too... at open mic nights?
    More Than Words - the main voice part for that is pretty tricky.. (for a guy to sing!)
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Again - to those with these massive song lists - do you sing them , too... at open mic nights?
    More Than Words - the main voice part for that is pretty tricky.. (for a guy to sing!)

Yup, play and sing - more then words undergoes a detuneing by a whole step for me to sing it. I played in a duo where we both played and sung, trying to get a full as sound as possible.