Fender Prosonic FX loop issue

I’ve recently switched back to using my Prosonics as opposed to my ‘57 Twins and I thought I’d take advantage of the effects loop rather than running everything out front. So, delay and reverb are in the loop and gain and fuzz stay where they are. Problem is, the modulation seem ls to be pushing my clean signal into some unpleasant places, all growly and barky, basically unusable. I remove the loop and all is good. Any suggestions?
'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Does the send/return loop have a level switch to select between -10dB pedals and +4dB racks?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Caffeine_VampireCaffeine_Vampire Frets: 3479
    edited February 2019
    Does the send/return loop have a level switch to select between -10dB pedals and +4dB racks?
    Unfortunately not, manual just says the loop is line level. 

https://i.imgur.com/7EGBp9H.jpg
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    I’ve recently switched back to using my Prosonics as opposed to my ‘57 Twins and I thought I’d take advantage of the effects loop rather than running everything out front. So, delay and reverb are in the loop and gain and fuzz stay where they are. Problem is, the modulation seem ls to be pushing my clean signal into some unpleasant places, all growly and barky, basically unusable. I remove the loop and all is good. Any suggestions?
    Yep, been there and done that.

I had 3 Prosonics at one point (from 2009 until 2011) and I had several mods for them from Fender that I performed (well, a tech did it) to try to sort channel switching issues, noise in the reverb and made the clean a bit crunchier.

The loop is the problem with this amp for the reasons you outline and it was why I moved away from using Prosonics.
    The best case for me was using multiple amps in W/D or WDW, but it was a lot to carry and when I sold them and went for a CAA PT50 I had a much easier time, as the loop is so much better in that amp.

Interesting that you are using the SS rectifier with this amp.
    I used to as well.
  • octatonic said:
    Yep, been there and done that.

I had 3 Prosonics at one point (from 2009 until 2011) and I had several mods for them from Fender that I performed (well, a tech did it) to try to sort channel switching issues, noise in the reverb and made the clean a bit crunchier.

The loop is the problem with this amp for the reasons you outline and it was why I moved away from using Prosonics.
    The best case for me was using multiple amps in W/D or WDW, but it was a lot to carry and when I sold them and went for a CAA PT50 I had a much easier time, as the loop is so much better in that amp.

Interesting that you are using the SS rectifier with this amp.
    I used to as well.
    Yeah, I prefer the SS rec on these, the bass response is better suited to the way I play. I actually used to use these as my o/d in a multi-amp set up but I’m trying to put a grab & go rig together and hoped I could do it with the Prosonic.  
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Caffeine_Vampire said:
    manual just says the loop is line level. 
    This probably explains why it is putting the hurts on your time and modulation effect pedals. 

Some form of level matching might help. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Caffeine_Vampire said:
    This probably explains why it is putting the hurts on your time and modulation effect pedals. 

Yep. Just researching some options. Hadn’t realised how common this issue is with these amps. 
    Caffeine_Vampire said:

Yep. Just researching some options. Hadn’t realised how common this issue is with these amps. 
    Yes, very common issue.
    You will need some sort of attenuator to go into your modulation effects, then some sort of amplifier to get the signal back to line level to to go the power amp.
    A re-amp box (such as a Radial X-Amp) might work.
    What I did was use rack mount multifx that worked at Line Level to try to get around the issue.
    It sort of worked but the loop is still not great in the Prosonic.

For a while I used the Axe FX into power amp return of the Prosonic.
    That sounded pretty good, but it bypasses the Prosonic's preamp.
  • octatonic said:
    Caffeine_Vampire said:

Yes, very common issue.
    You will need some sort of attenuator to go into your modulation effects, then some sort of amplifier to get the signal back to line level to to go the power amp.
    A re-amp box (such as a Radial X-Amp) might work.
    What I did was use rack mount multifx that worked at Line Level to try to get around the issue.
    It sort of worked but the loop is still not great in the Prosonic.

For a while I used the Axe FX into power amp return of the Prosonic.
    That sounded pretty good, but it bypasses the Prosonic's preamp.
    Appreciate the thorough response. I was planning on shifting my rackmounted fx but this may alter my decision. I’ve also messaged my tech to see if he can suggest a cheap fix. Watch this space and thanks. 
    No worries.
    They are great amps and I plan on buying a head again when one comes up for sale for non-stupid money, but purely for recording.
    I don't think I could gig one now- way too loud.
  • octatonic said:
    No worries.
    They are great amps and I plan on buying a head again when one comes up for sale for non-stupid money, but purely for recording.
    They do make some noise. I’ve got two combos. No plans to sell but if you don’t find a head and you’re in the market, look me up. 
    octatonic said:
    No worries.
    They do make some noise. I’ve got two combos. No plans to sell but if you don’t find a head and you’re in the market, look me up. 
    I'd only go for a head- partly because they take up less room in the studio but also I live in Singapore and freight for a combo is much higher.
  • @octatonic Understood. Good luck. 
  • Might be worth trying a volume pedal, or volume box, or pedal with a vol control first in the loop and drop the volume before it hits your effects, then run the amp a bit louder to compensate for the drop.
  • clarkefan said:
    Might be worth trying a volume pedal, or volume box, or pedal with a vol control first in the loop and drop the volume before it hits your effects, then run the amp a bit louder to compensate for the drop.
    A good suggestion and a good excuse to buy a volume pedal. Thanks.